Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

Abureesh, I see a comparativist being rejected by northwestern. I really cant focus now doing other stuff. This is driving me crazy.

Yeah, this certainly makes it more interesting (and distracting). I don't know how to discern what it means, but I keep telling myself that rejection is still quite likely: perhaps they simply sent out some rejections on Saturday and will send the rest tomorrow. The thing is, it appears that they are a week behind vis-a-vis last year's schedule. If it is actually the case that they are on the same schedule as last year, then more rejections should come out tomorrow along with a few acceptances, followed by more rejections around next weekend.

Maybe someone else has more info on this year's process? I know someone called the department last week and was told that all decisions would be finalized by last Friday (the 17th). If it is the case that everything has indeed been done, then they clearly are operating on a different schedule from last year.

Yeah, this certainly makes it more interesting (and distracting). I don't know how to discern what it means, but I keep telling myself that rejection is still quite likely: perhaps they simply sent out some rejections on Saturday and will send the rest tomorrow. The thing is, it appears that they are a week behind vis-a-vis last year's schedule. If it is actually the case that they are on the same schedule as last year, then more rejections should come out tomorrow along with a few acceptances, followed by more rejections around next weekend.

Maybe someone else has more info on this year's process? I know someone called the department last week and was told that all decisions would be finalized by last Friday (the 17th). If it is the case that everything has indeed been done, then they clearly are operating on a different schedule from last year.

There's no harm to lower your expectation in such cases, you'll always likely to exceed them later

I've seen enough Yale posts on the survey to think that they're probably done admitting the first wave BUT none of those admits seemed to be theory. Does any theorist want to claim one?

My thinking (read: hope!) is that, given the often rolling nature of acceptances, comparative, American, IR, etc. decisions have been made but, for whatever reason, there are theory admits outstanding.

Yale and Berk results postings at around 5AM on a Monday morning. Very odd timing. Can anybody claim these?

On a holiday, no less. Wish I could claim either, but alas I cannot. Tempted to think they're fake, but there are confirmed admits from both schools, so who knows.

I'd find it surprising if someone got into Berkeley with that undergrad GPA, if there's not a grad GPA to offset it (which wasn't mentioned, in any case).

It may be the case that the applicant in question was a nontraditional major? I've met a few engineering and biochem majors who ended up doing a PHD in poll sci with a middle-ranged GPA (compared to social science majors at least).

I wouldn't expect today to be a break from hearing. Universities are running. Classes are meeting and so are committees. No reason there won't be notifications.

Really??? Oh :wacko: - nervous!!!!

So if we havent heard from places that are in the recruitment weekend thread, is it safe to assume that at best, we are waitlisted? Is this why people are posting (assumed) rejections in their signature?

Yes and no: if it's next weekend, you've almost certainly been rejected/waitlisted. If it's April, then perhaps you're still in limbo.

Where is the line drawn? I would think at around a month in advance of the open house.

I'd find it surprising if someone got into Berkeley with that undergrad GPA, if there's not a grad GPA to offset it (which wasn't mentioned, in any case).

Well, my grades aren't much better than that, and I don't have any graduate grades, but things have been going alright for me. Although for precisely that reason I have been shocked with each new admissions offer. I also didn't apply to Berkeley, and probably wouldn't have been admitted if I had.

Man, I feel like all the admissions adrenaline has drained out of me. I'm pretty sure I've already got my choice settled...but there are still apps of mine out there that require a response! Oh how I wish everyone would just hurry up. It's t-shirt time.

Cheer me up: tell me about someone you know who got into a great university with bad stats! :) (or semi-bad stats)

My undergraduate gpa is bad. Like embarrasingly so. Lower than I care to post publicly. My current set of offers is an embarassment of riches (MIT, Columbia and Notre Dame). Chin up. It is possible. I'll put My full story in the advice thread in mid April. If you want to know something sooner you can send me a PM.