Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

15-20 and that's a large #? If they admit 15-20, maybe around 10 will enter, that could well be one of the smallest cohorts in top schools

Hmm perhaps a bit understated then. I was going off of an unscientific look at the survey.

A quick look at The survey of graduate schools survey (GSS) indicates 17 incoming students in 2007. Princetons own web page says they admit on average 40 but over time are aiming to admit 20. (whatever that really means).

Good call! My mistake! I was thinking in terms of incoming not acceptances. Although I'd imagine it would be hard to turn down Princeton (personal feelings getting in the way of objectivity perhaps!)

Edited by Jwnich1

Last year, the DGS told me that they had accepted about 35 and they expected about 25 to matriculate. They went to the waitlist and took one person, in IR.

HYPS all overlap. They all want to compete for the best students.

Last year, the DGS told me that they had accepted about 35 and they expected about 25 to matriculate. They went to the waitlist and took one person, in IR.

This is very true - I think this year there may be some divergence though. Another (very unscientific!) look at people on the market from the CHYMPS programs shows that Princeton has a TON of theorists on the market. They seem to have a bit of a glut in that regard. Maybe they'll focus more on other subfields? (Also maybe wishful thinking)

They seem pretty consistent around the 20th of Feb each year (judging by the survey, and we all know how that turned out on Friday). My educated guess is that there will be no news on Monday, but Tuesday and Wednesday are prime for some acceptances. I've heard they admit a relatively large # of people, maybe 15 - 20. I take it you're anxiously waiting for them too?

Yeah, Princeton is my last hope (for a PhD in Political Science). I have one application left but for a PhD in Economics. However, I found a typo in my SOP (copied text from Word into LaTeX where an apostrophe got lost) and I didn't get into any other program so I don't think I've got a chance.

Edited by swisschocolate

Yeah, Princeton is my last hope (for a PhD in Political Science). I have one application left but for a PhD in Economics. However, I found a typo in my SOP (copied text from Word into LaTeX where an apostrophe got lost) and I didn't get into any other program so I don't think I've got a chance.

Don't give up yet! there is still hope - I've heard it a million times: fit is THE more important thing. I am sending my best wishes!

Fit might be a bit overrated, on this forum at least. Your interests should logically line up in some way with faculty, but working in the style of Professor so-and-so, and possibly impressing him/her, is far from an "in." It seems that a lot of strong applicants get admitted to a broad range of programs that aren't that similar in terms of research; and a lot of applicants getting in at only a few schools but managing to strike out at other comparable ones. This is largely from observation and advice I've been given, so I'm interested in hearing the thoughts of others on this.

Fit isn't as big of a deal for poli sci compared to the hard sciences. There are a few constructivists here at Chicago working with Mearsheimer for example. As long as there generally someone who does what you like you are fine .

I dont think most departments like people only working on a narrow sub topic of ideas too.

Edited by kolja00

Yep. Also, I hear Harvard has a near-perfect yield rate (something like 25/27?) which suggests that the Harvard overlap may lower the yield rates of other schools.

More rejections from Northwestern... no update in my status... Quietly optimistic that they haven't filled all their theory spots...

A bunch went out yesterday; the ones posted today could just be those that were sent yesterday (given that it is a Sunday and I highly doubt that the department would be working today).

EDIT: for clarity purposes

Edited by AbuReesh

Wait, so more NU rejections have gone out today? A bunch went out yesterday; the ones posted today could just be those that were sent yesterday (given that it is a Sunday and I highly doubt that the department would be working today).

I just think it's more people checking websites or finally remembered to post it. NU should have done that by Friday, don't even think they bother working on Saturday only to update rejections

I just think it's more people checking websites or finally remembered to post it. NU should have done that by Friday, don't even think they bother working on Saturday only to update rejections

No, I'm pretty sure the rejections went out yesterday afternoon, given the earlier posts in this forum. Or perhaps the online notification was delayed for some technical reason and wasn't available until Saturday afternoon. Who knows.

Edited by AbuReesh

The Sunday Columbia accept is me. Really pleased with it. The email was an official one from from the assistant dean of the graduate school.

Congratulations!

So much for weekends (well, I guess just Sundays now) being "safe" (although in this case it's not a bad thing!)

No, I'm pretty sure the rejections went out yesterday afternoon, given the earlier posts in this forum. Or perhaps the online notification was delayed for some technical reason and wasn't available until Saturday afternoon. Who knows.

Abureesh, I see a comparativist being rejected by northwestern. I really cant focus now doing other stuff. This is driving me crazy.