Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

I've had a lot of communication with most, actually. I get a lot of e-mails from faculty, updates on funding, and of course e-mails from coordinators about visiting the schools. And I've talked on the phone with people at every program just to ask questions, et ceters. UMd has been completely silent since the first phone call, though. Not a peep from any faculty, no information on if there's a visit weekend, no firm funding letter. Think that's more the anomaly though...

For UMD, I am surprised that you haven't received your letter, but I am not surprised about the visit. There is no official visit, you have to arrange it individually. I am working with the DGS now to arrange mine.

For UMD, I am surprised that you haven't received your letter, but I am not surprised about the visit. There is no official visit, you have to arrange it individually. I am working with the DGS now to arrange mine.

That makes sense. Are they paying for it?

What are some of the subfields of those who received unfortunate outcomes from NU?

P.S. Sorry to hear such news. I'm sure things will work out for you all in the end (if they haven't already).

American (behavior)

What are some of the subfields of those who received unfortunate outcomes from NU?

P.S. Sorry to hear such news. I'm sure things will work out for you all in the end (if they haven't already).

My status hasnt changed, what does it mean? Anybody in the same situation?

My guess is that you weren't in the first round of cuts, more or less on an unofficial waitlist.

I seem to recall them doing something like this last year, although my memory's a little fuzzy given that I never applied to NU myself.

To the person who posted in the results survey asking about the BC acceptance: I will probably be accepting (just waiting to hear from NU and to visit in a couple of weeks). And I'm comparative, not theory. Will obviously give them an answer as soon as I know!

Yup. I don't think it matters that I haven't been rejected; me going there is conditional on a crappy financial offer from Wisconsin (probable), a rejection from Princeton (probable), an offer from Northwestern (improbable), and a good funding package (improbable).

IR.

Yup. I don't think it matters that I haven't been rejected; me going there is conditional on a crappy financial offer from Wisconsin (probable), a rejection from Princeton (probable), an offer from Northwestern (improbable), and a good funding package (improbable).

What's your interest? I know you're an Africanist, but is there a particular area of Africa that you specialize in?

Would you ditch Princeton for van de Walle and a generous funding package?

As you might have inferred from my original post, I'm in the same situation and trying to figure out what it means (though the post by blaspheming does make some sense).

Edited by AbuReesh

As you might have inferred from my original post, I'm in the same situation and trying to figure out what it means (though the post by blaspheming does makes some sense).

What is your subfield Abu Reesh? I am in Comparative. So far, I have only seen people in theory and IR that are rejected.

What is your subfield Abu Reesh? I am in Comparative. So far, I have only seen people in theory and IR that are rejected.

I'm comparative as well. However, I hesitate to think that they are taking a field-based approach given that blaspheming's field is American politics and he heard from NU. But who knows...

I'm comparative as well. However, I hesitate to think that they are taking a field-based approach given that blaspheming's field is American politics and he heard from NU. But who knows...

Lets keep our fingers crossed. I will check the website again on Monday, if nothing changed, I will call them and ask.

Lets keep our fingers crossed. I will check the website again on Monday, if nothing changed, I will call them and ask.

Just to throw my hat into the ring, I have also not heard back from NU and I am an Americanist/formal methods person. It is my top choice though. I am so sick of this waiting.

rogerfed: I was just looking at NU in last year's cycle, but it's hard to discern any patterns from the results.

kem140: I completely agree with you. I am finding it so hard to concentrate on anything right now, especially since the results appear as though they will be staggered. Waiting in limbo stinks, especially if it ends up as a negative outcome.

rogerfed: I was just looking at NU in last year's cycle, but it's hard to discern any patterns from the results.

kem140: I completely agree with you. I am finding it so hard to concentrate on anything right now, especially since the results appear as though they will be staggered. Waiting in limbo stinks, especially if it ends up as a negative outcome.

I know, I have so much work to do and I cannot focus! I am completely failing at writing a paper and studying for a game theory exam right now, thanks to my obsessive checking of thegradcafe.com and refreshing of the NU site. What are your substantive interests? Is there someone in particular at NU that you dream of working with?

Would you ditch Princeton for van de Walle and a generous funding package?

Well, for starters, hasn't Cornell sent out all admits? I didn't get an offer, so I assume I'm out. Either way, no, because Princeton is better for the work I want to do. Which brings me to...

What's your interest? I know you're an Africanist, but is there a particular area of Africa that you specialize in?

I'm CP, I work with state formation in the Great Lakes (Rwanda/Uganda/the DRC primarily). I take a historical-sociological approach like Bayart, Lemarchand, Sklar, Whitaker, Young, and the like. That's why Madison is really the best program for me (Straus, Schatzberg, Tripp), but Princeton is a very close second (Widner, Lieberman, Wantchekon). If the money is different by $10k (which it would be), I'd probably go to the latter.

I'm a normative theorist rejected by NU. I'm assuming that BC is done with their offers as well.

Has anyone heard anything at all from Princeton? With an assumed rejection from BC and Pat Deneen leaving Gtown, this is really the only app I have outstanding.