Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

Listen, mate, he asks you a question and your response is a strikingly unqualified "No." I see this as unreasonable given the overwhelming contingency of the process and the obviously narrow scope of your own--like anyone else's--range of accurate knowledge. What I'm saying: this does not help, do not do it. Not so much an attack as a sanction.

It's an argument that has been rehashed countless, countless times. It is unequivocally not the case that an 800 GRE-Q will raise eyebrows on adcoms, especially when the applicant is trying to do quant/formal work. If you've ignored those discussions or didn't care to read them, fine. But there is no need to go into it here, again. That's why it was a "strikingly unqualified" no. And that's why it wasn't rude (nor was it intended to be) to write just a "no."

Edited by balderdash

Listen, mate, he asks you a question and your response is a strikingly unqualified "No." I see this as unreasonable given the overwhelming contingency of the process and the obviously narrow scope of your own--like anyone else's--range of accurate knowledge. What I'm saying: this does not help, do not do it. Not so much an attack as a sanction.

Opening with "Listen, mate" always leads to productive discourse. I think Balderdash was taking into consideration "contingency" when he noted that an 800 will not get you an auto interview.

Opening with "Listen, mate" always leads to productive discourse. I think Balderdash was taking into consideration "contingency" when he noted that an 800 will not get you an auto interview.

This is going nowhere fast.....lets just be big boys and say everybody is drained and all stay friends.

Yeah... as someone who has been through one of these back and forth situations, I would recommend moving on, to something more productive, such as...

Isn't it weird that certain schools don't expect to announce their results until late this month given that some schools have their visiting weekends in early March? I for one am not looking forward to making travel plans for March even with my existing set of options. Since schools reimburse for travel fare, it seems counterproductive for them, too... the longer they wait, the more expensive tickets are for their admitted students, and the more they have to reimburse.

Whatevz. Frustration.

It's an argument that has been rehashed countless, countless times. It is unequivocally not the case that an 800 GRE-Q will raise eyebrows on adcoms, especially when the applicant is trying to do quant/formal work. If you've ignored those discussions or didn't care to read them, fine. But there is no need to go into it here, again. That's why it was a "strikingly unqualified" no. And that's why it wasn't rude (nor was it intended to be) to write just a "no."

No, he wasn't taking it into consideration and that is precisely my point: this board is full of broad claims to knowledge of a process that is intrinsically opaque and uniquely experienced by each and every application. For as many minds apply, therego as many different stories as to why, or what, got them accepted or rejected. YOU, nor I, have ANY generalizable knowledge about the system beyond the simple truth as to field the best application YOU can provide given your own skills and interests.

The best we can do here, it seems, is simple encouragement (which there is plenty of) with perhaps even some discussion of political science interests (which there is hardly any of). Instead, it seems centered on these absolutely ludicrous predictions that in themselves can only point to a handful of anecdotes to prove their point. I'm saying: for every example you can give, I can field one to the contrary. What this unfortunately makes for is a system that is by nature unknowable in advance. That "the owl of Minerva spreads its wings at dusk" seems to be a pretty accurate summation of the results here. But rather than living with this, the constant need for a very hollow basis of reassurance propagates if not false, then ostensibly narrow, knowledge of a process that has shown to make the most unexpected turns.

Yeah... as someone who has been through one of these back and forth situations, I would recommend moving on, to something more productive, such as...

Isn't it weird that certain schools don't expect to announce their results until late this month given that some schools have their visiting weekends in early March? I for one am not looking forward to making travel plans for March even with my existing set of options. Since schools reimburse for travel fare, it seems counterproductive for them, too... the longer they wait, the more expensive tickets are for their admitted students, and the more they have to reimburse.

Whatevz. Frustration.

I guess most of the schools follow the notify those who we truly want and let the losers wait with false hope policy...

Somehow I wish that polisci had an auto-reject system just like law schools.

Edited by dec4rhapsody

No. (And I don't think there's anyone on the board with as much respect for RWBG as me, having gone through the process with him twice now.)

Well that's a very nice (and probably unwarranted) thing to say!

Seriously though, lots of people get 800 on the quant, including Balderdash here (if I'm remembering correctly). Not all those people get interviews as Yale, and it would be pretty ridiculous if they did, so in that sense I don't think balderdash's response was unwarranted. I'll remind everyone that I was rejected from every school I applied to last year, so there's that...

wmplax's response seems unnecessarily confrontational. I also don't think he understood that balderdash's response just stated that having an 800 quant does not imply getting an interview; I'm sure it's possible that given the idiosyncratic nature of the process there are some adcom members for whom having a high GREQ would be a deciding factor (for better or worse), but balderdash's response would still be true. It looks like wmplax's response post actually suggested he agreed with balderdash on that front... However, if you want some picture of what the admissions process looks like, I'd take a look at this:

http://jackman.stanford.edu/papers/pa04.pdf

Whatevz. Frustration.

My guess is that they won't be increasing the amount of the reimbursement. I'm thinking I'll get $300-$400 whether they give me advance warning of a month or a day.

Then again, I would love to have the option, even if it will cost me a fortune. As things stand now, my prospects aren't looking good.

Well I am calling this cycle for myself. Based on precedent no school is going to admit me which now means I must begin the great job.

I want to thank all of you for making me feel welcome and for the works of encouragement over the past few weeks.

I honestly and sincerely wish the best for all of you as you jouney on to the next phase of your lifes and wish you godspeed in all of your future endavors.

Noooooo!!! Grantman!!! You're awesome and you're going to do awesome things. I truly believe it; your attitude says everything about you. Plus:

"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

~Calvin Coolidge

That's right. Give Silent Cal some love. He said some smart things for a silent guy. Americanists care to chime in?

So, anyway...godspeed to YOU, grantman, and glad to have been through this with you. All my best.

Well that's a very nice (and probably unwarranted) thing to say!

Seriously though, lots of people get 800 on the quant, including Balderdash here (if I'm remembering correctly). Not all those people get interviews as Yale, and it would be pretty ridiculous if they did, so in that sense I don't think balderdash's response was unwarranted. I'll remind everyone that I was rejected from every school I applied to last year, so there's that...

wmplax's response seems unnecessarily confrontational. I also don't think he understood that balderdash's response just stated that having an 800 quant does not imply getting an interview; I'm sure it's possible that given the idiosyncratic nature of the process there are some adcom members for whom having a high GREQ would be a deciding factor (for better or worse), but balderdash's response would still be true. It looks like wmplax's response post actually suggested he agreed with balderdash on that front... However, if you want some picture of what the admissions process looks like, I'd take a look at this:

http://jackman.stanf...papers/pa04.pdf

Ah, I see now--I misunderstood balderdash's response as a somewhat confrontational attack on the other person, who I had thought fielded a meaningful question and was being brushed off with a simply and arrogant "no." It rubbed me the wrong way, especially considering the fragility of tensions as is.

To balderdash: clearly, I had misread and I'm sorry--I understood you as making a isolated positive statement and failed to address the overall context.

YAY! There is my Stanford rejection. For 130 bucks an application they could have made a nice letter.

That's what I was thinking. I've contributed over $250 to their endowment now. Maybe I'll get a bench named after me.

Ain't that the truth! I could sure use that money back for a car down payment...or, like, food.

To balderdash: clearly, I had misread and I'm sorry--I understood you as making a isolated positive statement and failed to address the overall context.

No harm, no foul, amigo. Now let's return to collectively pulling our hair out. :)

My guess is that they won't be increasing the amount of the reimbursement. I'm thinking I'll get $300-$400 whether they give me advance warning of a month or a day.

Then again, I would love to have the option, even if it will cost me a fortune. As things stand now, my prospects aren't looking good.

Yeah, I know I'm not getting over $3-400 reimbursed - I'm just assuming that with 3 weeks notice, a ticket would be priced closer to $200 from some areas, whereas with 2 days notice it could shoot up to the max allowable reimbursement.

I guess since they're intending to feed, teach, and shelter us for the next 5 years they're not too worried about a few thousand dollars. Wish I could say the same.

No harm, no foul, amigo. Now let's return to collectively pulling our hair out. :)

I would, however, actually like to here more about whatever it is everyone is into at the moment. If this is a political science board, let's at least get a sense of what our future colleagues are interested in pursuing, no?

I would, however, actually like to here more about whatever it is everyone is into at the moment. If this is a political science board, let's at least get a sense of what our future colleagues are interested in pursuing, no?

I'm really interested in studying attacks on religious monuments and sites in civil wars (maybe conventional wars too) whether by insurgent groups or the government itself.

UC Berkeley would be the perfect school since Hasner does exactly this type of intersection between IR and religion.

Edited by kolja00

For what it's worth, I don't think the Yale posts are necessarily trolls. I got am email from a POI saying I should expect a formal offer of admission soon. I also never had an interview, which is quite frankly confusing.

7/7! Impressive.

For what it's worth, I don't think the Yale posts are necessarily trolls. I got am email from a POI saying I should expect a formal offer of admission soon. I also never had an interview, which is quite frankly confusing.

Congrats! That's awesome, and good to know.

Since my dirty laundry has been publicly aired already (many thanks, by the way, to the people who protested the "why did she change her username" thread), I'll give a slightly less vague answer than "comp pol". I'm interested in sovereignty and how it plays into the efficacy of international institutions - my region and field of interest lie in Eurasia and the energy trade. I'm specifically interested in sovereignty as exhibited by a subset of post-colonial resource-rich states, and how the impact of various external actors and structures on that sovereignty plays into that subset's policy preferences and subsequent representation of those policy preferences in international institutions.

Edit: grantman, I'm still pulling for you. An earlier poster said it best - your attitude on this forum is nothing short of fabulous and inspiring. I am certain you will go on to do great things. Remember The Realist's post stating that the best political scientists are nice? You've got that one in the bag!

Edited by saltlakecity2012