Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

Someone brave enough to call Berkeley??

Just called. Janet Newhall was unavailable, so I spoke to the graduate student advisor (Bette Evans). She doesn't have anything to do with the admissions process, but she said she overheard that decisions are going out, and that they expect to be done with the entire notification process by the end of February. So this gels with I believe our 2 claimed acceptances so far this cycle - I suppose they could be done already, but I have no idea.

Just called. Janet Newhall was unavailable, so I spoke to the graduate student advisor (Bette Evans). She doesn't have anything to do with the admissions process, but she said she overheard that decisions are going out, and that they expect to be done with the entire notification process by the end of February. So this gels with I believe our 2 claimed acceptances so far this cycle - I suppose they could be done already, but I have no idea.

Awesome! I hope it comes tonight so I have an excuse not to work on my thesis :P

But next week seems most likely based off of what she said.

Those are the exact three I am waiting for as well. I was expecting to hear from Berkeley given that SD and UCLA were 2-3 weeks ago. Blah. and this Yale thing is weird. People have claimed interviews on the results page but not here.

I'm more suspicious than ever re. the Yale interviews. Here's why:

1) We just saw today that trolls monitor what we write about and post results accordingly. There's talk about Yale interviews, boom they show up.

2) This troll was obviously a bad one, i.e. more sympathetic, by posting everything at once. A hard-core troll would subtly post messages without giving us any clue they were fake to get a real laugh out of it.

3) Too few people have received interviews for that to be representative of Yale's acceptance pool.

4) People who should be very strong candidates for Yale have not received interviews, e.g. RWBG (GRE) or adblanche (got into Stanford). That doesn't make sense.

Edited by catinthehat

Gee willikers, you leave this place for like five seconds and things go crazy! TROLLS?! Run, Bilbo, run!

Claiming a Stanford rejection. Yeehaw! My decision becomes more certain as the days tick by! Soon I'll get my precious t-shirt...

That is why I want this process to be over soon. I want to get a hoodie and shirt to wear haha.

Well, you would think that 800 quant would at least warrant an interview...no?

No. (And I don't think there's anyone on the board with as much respect for RWBG as me, having gone through the process with him twice now.)

Well, you would think that 800 quant would at least warrant an interview...no?

There are plenty of people with scores like that in the applicant pools, and not all of them get into the final round. As has been stated before on another thread, GRE scores will get you through the first round of cuts but are unlikely to do anything after that, and schools go through multiple refining rounds. You might not hear about it, but there are more than a few people on this forum with scores between 1550-1600.

It is funny that you bring this up. Although it might be quite silly, I am so looking forward to confirming my decision by buying a school shirt.

Totally not silly at all! It's so true! I'm pumped. Finalization...then we can take care of all the important stuff (clothing ourselves).

No. (And I don't think there's anyone on the board with as much respect for RWBG as me, having gone through the process with him twice now.)

Okay. From what I've heard, a perfect quant score gets faculty's attention. It doesn't mean that you get in, but if an interview means you're in the running, I would expect a person with a perfect score to get one. Now maybe an interview means the opposite, i.e. they can't decide b/c you're on the bubble. I'm just saying that we are not seeing the kind of large-scale interviews that you would expect if they were a filtering tool. Something doesn't make sense.

Okay. From what I've heard, a perfect quant score gets faculty's attention. It doesn't mean that you get in, but if an interview means you're in the running, I would expect a person with a perfect score to get one. Now maybe an interview means the opposite, i.e. they can't decide b/c you're on the bubble. I'm just saying that we are not seeing the kind of large-scale interviews that you would expect if they were a filtering tool. Something doesn't make sense.

I would guess, given the humanities/social sciences faculty response to the mandated interviews that they will most likely be used to confirm already decided upon acceptances, or to differentiate between similarly qualified candidates in the later rounds of the process. That's what I would do, at least, if I were required to interview applicants and didn't want to... I'd go about my decision-making process and then tack interviews on as needed towards the end of the thing. Obviously I am not a Yale political science ad com member, though, so my thinking may be pretty useless.

Any other thoughts?

This is simply getting idiotic. Neither of you know how much GRE's weigh in--it's contingent not only on the department, but on those selected for that year's committee. I've heard that some people couldn't care less about GRE's while you'll occasionally get a nut who thinks its an accurate tool of prediction and should be counted.

The fact is: we do not know, so please stop pretending to possess some radiant knowledge about the reception of GRE scores when, even in a rather comprehensive survey of the results, there seems to be little rhyme or reason. Your desire for generality is insane, and would severely disappoint Wittgenstein.

If you did have the correct knowledge, then I imagine you would get in wherever you decidedly chose--of course, this is far from reality, and you are left, like us all, to merely speculate.

Does anyone know what the deal is with Northwestern? There seem to be quite a few acceptances, but has anyone claimed these? Given the number of applicants that they get, you'd think there would be more than the few that have trickled in.

Also, FYI, I spoke to Sharon at Indiana and she said all decisions would be out early next week by email. There were a few acceptances that trickled in from IU today, any news on the wait list?

Well I am calling this cycle for myself. Based on precedent no school is going to admit me which now means I must begin the great job.

I want to thank all of you for making me feel welcome and for the works of encouragement over the past few weeks.

I honestly and sincerely wish the best for all of you as you jouney on to the next phase of your lifes and wish you godspeed in all of your future endavors.

Does anyone know what the deal is with Northwestern? There seem to be quite a few acceptances, but has anyone claimed these? Given the number of applicants that they get, you'd think there would be more than the few that have trickled in.

I think at least one was claimed... but I haven't heard anything either.

This is simply getting idiotic. Neither of you know how much GRE's weigh in--it's contingent not only on the department, but on those selected for that year's committee. I've heard that some people couldn't care less about GRE's while you'll occasionally get a nut who thinks its an accurate tool of prediction and should be counted.

The fact is: we do not know, so please stop pretending to possess some radiant knowledge about the reception of GRE scores when, even in a rather comprehensive survey of the results, there seems to be little rhyme or reason. Your desire for generality is insane, and would severely disappoint Wittgenstein.

If you did have the correct knowledge, then I imagine you would get in wherever you decidedly chose--of course, this is far from reality, and you are left, like us all, to merely speculate.

Relax. We're all stressed, but there's no need to attack.

Well I am calling this cycle for myself. Based on precedent no school is going to admit me which now means I must begin the great job.

I want to thank all of you for making me feel welcome and for the works of encouragement over the past few weeks.

I honestly and sincerely wish the best for all of you as you jouney on to the next phase of your lifes and wish you godspeed in all of your future endavors.

Don't lose faith just yet. You seem to have outstanding applications still. You never know...

I think at least one was claimed... but I haven't heard anything either.

Relax. We're all stressed, but there's no need to attack.

Listen, mate, he asks you a question and your response is a strikingly unqualified "No." I see this as unreasonable given the overwhelming contingency of the process and the obviously narrow scope of your own--like anyone else's--range of accurate knowledge. What I'm saying: this does not help, do not do it. Not so much an attack as a sanction.