Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

I would, however, actually like to here more about whatever it is everyone is into at the moment. If this is a political science board, let's at least get a sense of what our future colleagues are interested in pursuing, no?

Sure, although it might work better in a separate thread (or everything is going to get lost in an anxiety-fueled torrent of rampant speculation ;))

Noooooo!!! Grantman!!! You're awesome and you're going to do awesome things. I truly believe it; your attitude says everything about you....

I am right there with the bird on this. Hang in there sir grantman!! Don't do this to yourself. Getting rejections suck, I got flat rejections last cycle (it doesn't seem like I am doing any better this time too) so I know. Still, if there is a single issue everyone in this forum would agree on, that is the unpredictable and opaque nature of this process. Don't assume anything until you have solid reasons for those assumptions. Even if you don't get in anywhere in this cycle, you can always try again, or go do some other awesome thing. But don't throw in the towel yet!

Plus I need you to repeat these words to me within a couple of weeks. So hang in there

I am right there with the bird on this. Hang in there sir grantman!! Don't do this to yourself. Getting rejections suck, I got flat rejections last cycle (it doesn't seem like I am doing any better this time too) so I know. Still, if there is a single issue everyone in this forum would agree on, that is the unpredictable and opaque nature of this process. Don't assume anything until you have solid reasons for those assumptions. Even if you don't get in anywhere in this cycle, you can always try again, or go do some other awesome thing. But don't throw in the towel yet!

Plus I need you to repeat these words to me within a couple of weeks. So hang in there

I would like to add to this that you still have some apps outstanding, and it only takes one offer to be in grad school. Not everybody can be accepted everywhere. I was also rejected across the board last time, so I really do know how awful it feels, but don't get too discouraged until it's actually the end. I think this board sometimes is so stocked with phenomenal people that we can forget the reality of admissions. The board makes it seem like everybody is getting in but you sometimes, which is not really the case. Lots of people are hearing nothing all across the country. Lots of people are getting rejected. Most importantly, lots of people are going to get into just one or two places. If you get to the end and really have no offers, then you can decide if you want to do this again next year. There is still time left though, stay strong!

As a general note to all applicants who haven't been admitted to anywhere yet: just remember that not getting in this year is not a signal that you won't get in at some point in the future, and a lot of the people being admitted now (myself included) are experiencing this good fortune because they are benefiting from the knowledge and experience gained from previously unsuccessful attempts.

Thank you all for your kind words, believe me I cannot express the words I gratitude I am feeling right now. To respond to some of the comments while I am keeping my opitions open, based on what I see from the results page most the remaining schools have sent out acceptances and those that have not I more than likely have no chance in gaining entry.

In regards to my future in political science, I am not commiting seppuku quite yet, I still do hope to conduct and publish research on the concept of state-building, name the formation of a state's bureaucracy. If you are interested in me explaining further, feel free to send me a private message and I will respond as quickly as I can.

In conclusion, as I got to know you all better over the past few weeks, I know with every fiber of my being that you all will go on to conduct great research. I wish you all the very best in making your decisions.

Oh my god. I saw Columbia and Stanford GSB up there and almost had a heart attack (probably my 4th almost heart attack in the past 3 weeks). I'm assuming the Stanford GSB one is a typo, as it was listed as Politics/Poli Sci rather than Pol Econ? Also, dear Columbia acceptee, do come out of the woodwork and share your joy so the rest of us can stop shaking our fists at the trolls... please?

Edit: guess I'll chalk that one up to the trolls, then.

Edited by saltlakecity2012

Wow, I leave for a couple of hours and there are 10 new pages of stuff. Mind blown.

First of all, thank you to those who gave me some words of encouragement several pages back. Hopefully there is still hope for me. =)

And congrats to everyone who heard good news today!

Congrats to everyone so far and to those who have yet to get in anywhere, chin up mates! I've asked about the Minnesota acceptances before (there have been three posted for this season, one of which has joined this discussion - apparently Adcoms do not keep the sabbath holy and call admitees at 9-10 P.M. on Sunday nights...crazy stuff). I received an email on Tuesday from Minnesota saying, "At this time your application is complete and has been forwarded to the admissions committee for review. The committee will notify you of its decision as soon as possible."

To any of the three Minnesota acceptees, do you have any perspective as to whether or not this is a rolling process (as this message would seem to imply, given that only 3 have posted) or was the email I received essentially code for "we've already accepted everyone we were planning on accepting and are just sending this email out as we finalize our wait-list."

Congrats to everyone so far and to those who have yet to get in anywhere, chin up mates! I've asked about the Minnesota acceptances before (there have been three posted for this season, one of which has joined this discussion - apparently Adcoms do not keep the sabbath holy and call admitees at 9-10 P.M. on Sunday nights...crazy stuff). I received an email on Tuesday from Minnesota saying, "At this time your application is complete and has been forwarded to the admissions committee for review. The committee will notify you of its decision as soon as possible."

To any of the three Minnesota acceptees, do you have any perspective as to whether or not this is a rolling process (as this message would seem to imply, given that only 3 have posted) or was the email I received essentially code for "we've already accepted everyone we were planning on accepting and are just sending this email out as we finalize our wait-list."

I don't think this message is code, I think it's just an auto-accident. I also got this email on Tuesday even though I'd already gotten the acceptance call on Sunday, and then the confirmation email today of the full offer details. I'm not sure if they've already made all their offers, but it seems like it's not systematic by subfield either (I'm comparative and the other poster on here was theory if I remember correctly), so there might still be hope. That said, they've already started with the communications about the visit day and talking to faculty and grad students, so it's not clear how exactly that would work with additional phases of acceptances. I would suggest calling them on Tuesday if you haven't heard anything by then...

Quick question: has anyone received an official offer and not just the department letter from UChicago (i.e. from the Graduate School)? It has been a couple of weeks and I'm getting a little worried that I haven't received anything other than that original email...

I'm really interested in studying attacks on religious monuments and sites in civil wars (maybe conventional wars too) whether by insurgent groups or the government itself.

UC Berkeley would be the perfect school since Hasner does exactly this type of intersection between IR and religion.

I think you and I have similar interests, as I am interested in how religion can impact post-conflict peace-building--and would love Berkeley for the same reason!

That is why I want this process to be over soon. I want to get a hoodie and shirt to wear haha.

I do, however, think it's a bad idea to go naked from the waist up until you decide on a school. It's winter, for heaven's sake...

I think you and I have similar interests, as I am interested in how religion can impact post-conflict peace-building--and would love Berkeley for the same reason!

I do, however, think it's a bad idea to go naked from the waist up until you decide on a school. It's winter, for heaven's sake...

You are quite clearly based in Britain, as Brits tend to prefer naked from the waist down, even in winter. Either England is Pneumonia Central or English girls have developed a truly impressive resistance to draft and harsh temperatures by always wearing belts for skirts.

You are quite clearly based in Britain, as Brits tend to prefer naked from the waist down, even in winter. Either England is Pneumonia Central or English girls have developed a truly impressive resistance to draft and harsh temperatures by always wearing belts for skirts.

As if his name does not give it away.....clearly not a big football (the real kind) fan!!

I will claim one of the Yale acceptances. Fun fact: I got the email at 12:30 in the morning, so I woke up to it. (Clearly, not a partier.)

They said the official letter with funding information was in the mail, so we'll see how long that takes to arrive.

But congrats to everyone!!! (Although I suppose a weekend response is going to jack up our stress levels even more.)

As if his name does not give it away.....clearly not a big football (the real kind) fan!!

Definitely as far removed from a soccer football fan as can be. But while I recognize the reference, I was under the impression that it's also possible to support a team from a place other than the country of residence and/or citizenship ;)