Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

I know, I have so much work to do and I cannot focus! I am completely failing at writing a paper and studying for a game theory exam right now, thanks to my obsessive checking of thegradcafe.com and refreshing of the NU site. What are your substantive interests? Is there someone in particular at NU that you dream of working with?

Interested in nationalism, political identity, state formation, authoritarian durability (basically the really hard-core comparativist stuff) with a regional focus on the Middle East. However, I have secondary interests in IR, mostly collective violence, identity in conflict, etc. As far as profs, I'd like to work with Pearlman, Mahoney, Reno, Spruyt. But I've tried not to think about it too much, as I do not want to get my hopes up/get attached to any one school (as trying as it may be).

What about you?

Interested in nationalism, political identity, state formation, authoritarian durability (basically the really hard-core comparativist stuff) with a regional focus on the Middle East. However, I have secondary interests in IR, mostly collective violence, identity in conflict, etc. As far as profs, I'd like to work with Pearlman, Mahoney, Reno, Spruyt. But I've tried not to think about it too much, as I do not want to get my hopes up/get attached to any one school (as trying as it may be).

What about you?

I am interested in democratic transition/consolidation, voting behavior and comparative political economy in developing countries (esp. new democracies). I really like jeff winters and Andrew Roberts.

Anyone has any news on the UVA front? Are they done? Should I assume a rejection and cross that off of my list?

I apply to UVA too and have not heard anything. I guess we should wait till the end of next week before we can really cross it out.

Just try to relax about NU, everyone :) At this point, you are still in the running. Go have a beer and celebrate your lack of rejection!

I'd love to partake in such an activity, but the large amount of work that I have forces me to be at a computer (which in turn unfortunately provides access to this forum). Add to this the continuing uncertainty of where I will be in the Fall after graduating this May, and you get a constant distraction.

EDIT: my spelling is bad

Edited by AbuReesh

What about you?

I am very interested in game theory/formal political theory. I am also interested in experimental methods. Substantively, I look at property rights/ environmental policy/political economy of natural resource management in the U.S.

I am very interested in game theory/formal political theory. I am also interested in experimental methods. Substantively, I look at property rights/ environmental policy/political economy of natural resource management in the U.S.

Out of curiosity, who would you be interested in working with at NU for formal theory? Feddersen and Austen-Smith are great, but they're affiliated with Kellogg and I don't get the impression they work much with political science students nowadays.

Out of curiosity, who would you be interested in working with at NU for formal theory? Feddersen and Austen-Smith are great, but they're affiliated with Kellogg and I don't get the impression they work much with political science students nowadays.

In general, I would be interested in working with Austen-Smith, so maybe that would not work out, but also Dennis Chong, James Druckman, and Anne Sartori. I would be interested in coursework/training in Kellogg. I have worked with a Professor in the Economics department of the university where I am getting a Master's who did his doctoral work at Kellogg and worked with people in the Political Science department while he was at NU. Perhaps, the admission's committee felt there wasn't a good faculty match, since I did get an admissions offer with all the rest. Alas...

In general, I would be interested in working with Austen-Smith, so maybe that would not work out, but also Dennis Chong, James Druckman, and Anne Sartori. I would be interested in coursework/training in Kellogg. I have worked with a Professor in the Economics department of the university where I am getting a Master's who did his doctoral work at Kellogg and worked with people in the Political Science department while he was at NU. Perhaps, the admission's committee felt there wasn't a good faculty match, since I did get an admissions offer with all the rest. Alas...

I think the biggest issue would be the (alleged) split in the department; I think most of the formal/quant people left polisci and went to other schools. If you get in though, I'm sure you'd have the opportunity to work with people in other departments, and at least you'd have a few people in polisci to provide a base. You could probably make it work.

Sorry, how much is the fellowship per year? The best offer I saw was 2,500 a month for 12 months. Does the 47k include the waived tuition or something? Perhaps I am out of the loop on what to expect from stipends? Congrats on the fellowship though that is awesome!

It's 18k over 9 months, so 2k a month

Hey! I got the same email. /high five?

Also: as excited as I was to get that email, they sure made it confusing to figure out how much the offer actually was. $47k sounds amazing, but it doesn't really answer the "how much money do I have to live on" question very well.

I'm still waiting to hear back from three more places (and I'm planning on visiting several of the places I've already been admitted to), but it's getting harder and harder not to feel like Washington is the right place for me. I'm digital media + politics through and through, and the combination of a fantastic comm program, a fantastic iSchool, my POI (Dr. Bennett) currently involved in like four projects that directly address my research interests, and, now, a substantial fellowship offer makes it difficult to resist.

On 2/18/2012 at 11:02 PM, dienekes said:

Hey! I got the same email. /high five?

Also: as excited as I was to get that email, they sure made it confusing to figure out how much the offer actually was. $47k sounds amazing, but it doesn't really answer the "how much money do I have to live on" question very well.

I'm still waiting to hear back from three more places (and I'm planning on visiting several of the places I've already been admitted to), but it's getting harder and harder not to feel like UWash is the right place for me. I'm digital media + politics through and through, and the combination of a fantastic comm program, a fantastic iSchool, my POI (Dr. Bennett) currently involved in like four projects that directly address my research interests, and, now, a substantial fellowship offer makes it difficult to resist.

Still waiting to hear back as well. Caporaso's work in the IPE of regionalism and global governance is exactly what my thesis of IPE and financial regulation was on. It's actually funny though, my school just hired two fresh grad students from Washington on tenure tracks.

I'm about to book my flights to the visit day actually

Well, and perhaps tellingly the only place I'm admitted so far was a place where I said screw it and put one IR and one comparativist as my two POIs. Who knows.

Luck schmuck. One admit is MAYBE luck. Chicago, Stanford, Yale is one impressive application, and you should be really, really proud of yourself. Sure, luck plays into every process, but you worked hard for and earned those offers and you should feel really good about it, imho.

I agree. I have a tremendous amount of respect for anyone with this type of record. I can only hope to be a fraction as successful. Hopefully good news will be headed my way some day. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Thank you so much! I am the eternal self-deprecator. (I spent the greater part of December and January lamenting that I would have to go through this process again.)

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the encouragement! I take it as a great compliment that people with your records are congratulating me. :)

What about you?

Just my personal opinion, but Pearlman, Spruyt and Reno are AWESOME. (I'm an NU undergrad.) Also someone you didn't mention at NU is Caverley (I'm biased as he's my advisor) but if you have any interest in feminism as a component as identity, he knows a TON about feminist theory and int'l security. I've had the opportunity to work with each of these profs and they've all been better advisors that I could have ever hoped for (and for an undergrad!).

I hope that helps people when deciding schools. The NU faculty is exceptionally available for students and takes a lot of pride in their training and advising which I think is a large strength of the department.

Just my personal opinion, but Pearlman, Spruyt and Reno are AWESOME. (I'm an NU undergrad.) Also someone you didn't mention at NU is Caverley (I'm biased as he's my advisor) but if you have any interest in feminism as a component as identity, he knows a TON about feminist theory and int'l security. I've had the opportunity to work with each of these profs and they've all been better advisors that I could have ever hoped for (and for an undergrad!).

I hope that helps people when deciding schools. The NU faculty is exceptionally available for students and takes a lot of pride in their training and advising which I think is a large strength of the department.

Thanks a lot for that input! It would be great to end up with the chance to work with them, but for now all I can do is hope...

I am interested in democratic transition/consolidation, voting behavior and comparative political economy in developing countries (esp. new democracies). I really like jeff winters and Andrew Roberts. I apply to UVA too and have not heard anything. I guess we should wait till the end of next week before we can really cross it out.

Interesting, we have similar interests, isn't Michigan also a great choice, is Grzymala-Busse's work relevant to your foucus?

I'm CP, I work with state formation in the Great Lakes (Rwanda/Uganda/the DRC primarily). I take a historical-sociological approach like Bayart, Lemarchand, Sklar, Whitaker, Young, and the like. That's why Madison is really the best program for me (Straus, Schatzberg, Tripp), but Princeton is a very close second (Widner, Lieberman, Wantchekon). If the money is different by $10k (which it would be), I'd probably go to the latter.

What has Widner been doing recently? She wasn't publishing in recent years, and her two ongoing work projects seemed to have lasted for decades...

Whoever got into Minnesota and posted their excitement about Sikkink - that's awesome. She's amazing - I used some of her transnational advocacy network literature w Keck for my undergrad thesis.

Yes, congrats to this person. Just out of curiosity, did you apply with Sikkink as your POI? I have two reasons for asking: I heard rumors that she might be leaving Minnesota soon and secondly I applied there as well, with her as my main POI (although my focus is neither on legal activism nor on Latin America, but I have an interest in norm development), but haven't heard anything yet. It's pretty much my last choice, but getting rejected would still suck re: ego ;)

I also heard that she's an absolutely lovely person, so congrats again!

Any guesses when Princeton will send out admission decisions? How many students do they accept each year?

They seem pretty consistent around the 20th of Feb each year (judging by the survey, and we all know how that turned out on Friday). My educated guess is that there will be no news on Monday, but Tuesday and Wednesday are prime for some acceptances. I've heard they admit a relatively large # of people, maybe 15 - 20. I take it you're anxiously waiting for them too?

They seem pretty consistent around the 20th of Feb each year (judging by the survey, and we all know how that turned out on Friday). My educated guess is that there will be no news on Monday, but Tuesday and Wednesday are prime for some acceptances. I've heard they admit a relatively large # of people, maybe 15 - 20. I take it you're anxiously waiting for them too?

15-20 and that's a large #? If they admit 15-20, maybe around 10 will enter, that could well be one of the smallest cohorts in top schools