Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

I will claim one of the Yale acceptances. Fun fact: I got the email at 12:30 in the morning, so I woke up to it. (Clearly, not a partier.)

They said the official letter with funding information was in the mail, so we'll see how long that takes to arrive.

But congrats to everyone!!! (Although I suppose a weekend response is going to jack up our stress levels even more.)

Congratulations! Have you seen the Yale campus? It's gorgeous!

I was under the impression that it's also possible to support a team from a place other than the country of residence and/or citizenship ;)

Not a team like Spurs.......more like a punishment for people from that part of London :P

Hey guys, I had a question that I would love all of your insight on. Is the pool of Poli Sci PHD applicants larger (or more competitive?) than most other humanities/social science pools?

I realize it's a popular subject for graduate school and is an area where JD's and MA's will try to get into with a dow economy.

Just wondering.

Edited by blackcoffee64

Hey guys, I had a question that I would love all of your insight on. Is the pool of Poli Sci PHD applicants larger (or more competitive?) than most other humanities/social science pools?

I realize it's a popular subject for graduate school and is an area where JD's and MA's will try to get into with a dow economy.

Just wondering.

I was kind of hoping it would be a down year because the economy is on the rebound and its an election year...maybe a few less applicant due to their desire to work on a national campaign. Not sure this would reduce too many applicants, especially given the choice of candidates. Given the state of my psyche at this point, I can rationalize just about anything.

I have actually heard directly from a professor in a good polisci department that both numerically and in terms of quality it was one of the most competitive years they have ever seen. I choose to allow that to make me feel slightly better about my rejections, and even more excited about any acceptances. That doesn't say anything about how polisci compares to other disciplines though. That I'm not sure about, although I have a feeling it is on the competitive end of the spectrum.

I have actually heard directly from a professor in a good polisci department that both numerically and in terms of quality it was one of the most competitive years they have ever seen. I choose to allow that to make me feel slightly better about my rejections, and even more excited about any acceptances. That doesn't say anything about how polisci compares to other disciplines though. That I'm not sure about, although I have a feeling it is on the competitive end of the spectrum.

I've heard the same. One professor told me that this has been the strongest applicant pool in many years. Perhaps everyone is told this - just relating my experience.

Congrats! You're cleaning up this year...

Thank you! I actually feel a bit self-conscious claiming acceptances, but I figure that way people know they aren't just trolls.

Congratulations! Have you seen the Yale campus? It's gorgeous!

I actually visited as an undergrad (for the record, rejected 5 years ago hehe) But yeah. I'm definitely hoping to visit!

As far as I've heard (which is from a few NU profs) Poli Sci is one of the largest in terms of applicant pool because you have people coming from humanities AND social sciences as well as statistics.

I'm gonna be vibing good things to everyone this weekend!! I want some good news for you all!

I've heard the same. One professor told me that this has been the strongest applicant pool in many years. Perhaps everyone is told this - just relating my experience.

In my particular case, this was not a prof at a school where I was applying, but a prof I know personally. Generally they are extremely frank and forthright, so I believe the assessment with this particular professor.

Congratulations again on all acceptances!

If you have definitely decided that you will not accept one or more of your offers (and, moreover, have already voiced that decision on thegradcafe.com), please, do not delay the decline email to grad schools just for the sake of a free trip or some other secondary reasons!

If we all are claiming here to be a brotherhood, lets live up to this claim.

Peace!

Congratulations again on all acceptances!

If you have definitely decided that you will not accept one or more of your offers (and, moreover, have already voiced that decision on thegradcafe.com), please, do not delay the decline email to grad schools just for the sake of a free trip or some other secondary reasons!

If we all are claiming here to be a brotherhood, lets live up to this claim.

Peace!

I would actually recommend that you should visit schools before deciding. You should get a feel for the school before commiting your next 5 years. Some people change their mind considerably during these visits. Visits are quite early too- you would have a lot of time to turn down an offer respectfully if you do not like the place & let people from the wait list to get in. Just my 2c.

I would actually recommend that you should visit schools before deciding. You should get a feel for the school before commiting your next 5 years. Some people change their mind considerably during these visits. Visits are quite early too- you would have a lot of time to turn down an offer respectfully if you do not like the place & let people from the wait list to get in. Just my 2c.

I agree with this.

Dear all. If any of you have been accepted by UPenn (IR subfield), and also by another better school, please decline the UPenn offer as soon as possible. This is the only waitinglist that I got (no admission now). Thanks very much.

Guys no offense but messages like this aren't helpful. I mean no offense but it's way too early in the cycle to make firm decisions - and rank isn't everything. I know this is a stressful time for everyone but entreaties like this only add to it.

Guys no offense but messages like this aren't helpful. I mean no offense but it's way too early in the cycle to make firm decisions - and rank isn't everything. I know this is a stressful time for everyone but entreaties like this only add to it.

I agree with these. Can we please refrain from calls to decline offers? People will do so when they are good and ready to make a decision. Your calls for it just makes people stressed and feel bad. Thanks!

May I know your subfield please?

Sure! I'm primarily IR, although I applied to Yale at a comparativist because of their specialty in conflict. My interest lies primarily in how media affects state decision-making regarding transnational security issues in the Middle East.

So, I really fall between IR and comparative.

[Edited to include regional focus]

Edited by adblanche