PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you NW folks who haven't heard yet must still be under consideration. seems like people who made it to their final admit/rejection rounds didn't hear until april last year. at the least, it means you're still in the game.

my money's on columbia emailing rejections either in the next 3 hours, or tomorrow - the first round of rejections came last saturday, right?

I don't know, I haven't heard from NW but I'm assuming if they were at all interested they'd tell me I was on a wait list. It seems like letting people know ASAP would be in their interest.

I agree--I also am waiting on Northwestern and have a hard time believing that all of us who haven't heard are still in the game...

I got my CIRS consolation prize with a 1/3 scholarship. I checked the "Do Not Consider Me for a Masters" box on the application; just reject me instead. How inappropriate would it be to not turn in a form for a program I specifically said I wouldn't consider? I don't want to pay the postage on the principle of the matter. Can I just email? And does anyone know who I'd email?

I got the waitlist e-mail from Minnesota and they want me to visit and said they'd pay for travel. They also said I'm one of the top five on the list. They seem interested and yet, I'm on the waitlist.

Does anyone have more info on how Minnesota is using it's waitlist? Is it one out one in? They're such a good fit for me this wait is really stressing me out.

I got my CIRS consolation prize with a 1/3 scholarship. I checked the "Do Not Consider Me for a Masters" box on the application; just reject me instead. How inappropriate would it be to not turn in a form for a program I specifically said I wouldn't consider? I don't want to pay the postage on the principle of the matter. Can I just email? And does anyone know who I'd email?

Some people change their minds in the several months between the application deadline and April 15. The person to contact depends on the school. At some schools the contact for PhD and MA programs is different. But at any rate, the departmental secretary should be able to point you in the right direction.

It may be early, (we still have over a month) but I feel that I have already made my decision. I already speak to my friends and family like I am going to be at that school (NW) for certain. So I thought: Why wait? I know it is very stupid, but I feel like if I don't wait until at least early April, it means I haven't given this enough time. But technically, I am at a point where my heart is completely set on NW. I think part of it is due to the fact that going to NW means I will have to turn down a "higher-ranked" school. Whatever that means. Do any of you feel like you already know where you are going? Are you hesitant to put it on paper yet, even though you know you gave this plenty of thought already?

I've pretty much chosen the school I want also, but I am still waiting on a few decisions from other schools. Once I get those (and if they are negative) I think I'll have my decision ready.

But I would give it a few days if I were you. Just in case. Otherwise, go for it. I plan on at least rejecting an acceptance in less than two weeks at most. Definitely before April.

Declined from Northwestern. This nearly wraps it up for me. 2 MA programs left. Purdue is saying I might not be funded so i'm leaning towards one of the funded (still waiting funding decision) MA programs.

My feeling is that those of us that still haven't heard from NW are on their unofficial waitlist.

It doesn't seem like they've officially notified people of their waitlist status for several years.

Out of curiosity, those who are still waiting on NW, what are your subfields?

I'm comparative.

My feeling is that those of us that still haven't heard from NW are on their unofficial waitlist.

It doesn't seem like they've officially notified people of their waitlist status for several years.

Out of curiosity, those who are still waiting on NW, what are your subfields?

I'm comparative.

subfield: American--Public Law

Northwestern finally rejected me yesterday.

For Maryland it's really weird. The ASF online said "A decision has been made regarding your application" and asked me to go to Testudo. But it's still pending decision on that one. Maybe I can only find about the decision in "a decision letter within two to three weeks". My guess is, for best it's a de facto waitlist, for worst it's a rejection which they forgot to or will later post on Testudo.

Hmm, still nothing from Northwestern here...

Hey, folks -- I'm new around here, and found this site while trying to figure out when I might hear from Northwestern. Still nothing for me as well.

I'm comparative/Latin America. I suspect the admissions committee goes by subfields, and the comparative folks are just the last at bat. So even though I'm technically still in the hunt, I have a feeling that the mass rejections of the past couple of days are a preview of what's to come, and not a sign that I've still got a shot.

Man, I hope I'm wrong! Northwestern's program is my best fit, I feel.

wow 14 weeks later and finally a decision on Columbia. Oh well, struck out at every Phd program but looking forward to my Mphil at Oxford. And as much as I'll miss you all I'm happy to finally stop obsessing, leave this place, and get back into the real world. Best of luck to all :)

Northwestern finally rejected me yesterday.

For Maryland it's really weird. The ASF online said "A decision has been made regarding your application" and asked me to go to Testudo. But it's still pending decision on that one. Maybe I can only find about the decision in "a decision letter within two to three weeks". My guess is, for best it's a de facto waitlist, for worst it's a rejection which they forgot to or will later post on Testudo.

Testudo said "Not Accepted" right away for me so it sounds like you have not been rejected at least.