PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

adaptations said:
I don't mean to be rude, but why are you calling diffference-in differences, IV's and randomization avante-garde? If you're into modeling these are just tools of the trade.

They are old in econometrics, but if you check this: https://polisci.wustl.edu/research#faculty-bookshelf you'll see it's rising in polisci articles. That's what I meant with avante-garde.

My aim is to specialize in political economy, with a heavy hand in avant-garde methods, such as randomization, change-in-changes or IV's.

What about you?

I'm looking more to the modeling side of things, so i applied to the PE at stanford and the poli sci at umich, among other programs. Ideally, I'd like to model systems of human behavior to understand what makes them tick, so to speak. if that doesn't work, I wouldn't mind working on voting and elections, which is a bit random..if that makes any sense at all? I'm a math/phil major switching over to a different discipline, so I have a ton of work ahead of me.

My MA thesis was on voting behavior, and right now I feel more inclined to tackle empirical problems. I guess we are not competing directly, certainly not in Umich :)

I'm a math/phil major switching over to a different discipline, so I have a ton of work ahead of me.

I also fear that I'll lag behind at first on some of the core courses due to my lack of training in PoliSci per se. But hopefully my quantitative skills will cover at least one of the program's fronts :roll:

My MA thesis was on voting behavior, and right now I feel more inclined to tackle empirical problems. I guess we are not competing directly, certainly not in Umich :)

Well that's fortunate! I'm looking to do some modeling/big grand scheme sort of problems

Where's your masters from? Also, do you (or anyone else) have any idea how good syracuse's program is? I just threw them in, but I think I may have shot too low on that one?

Also good luck!

Might as well throw my hat in the ring.

First field: IR

Second field: Methods

Specific interest: security, rivalry, bargaining models, sanctions, public opinion on foreign policy

Undergrad education: 3.5 GPA, directional state school - 4.0 at the school itself but inherited a 0.22 semester from a previous university.

Grad education: MA expected in May from a top 25 doctoral program - I'm transferring due to faculty instability. 3.95 GPA.

VGRE: 700

QGRE: 800

AWAGRE: 5.0

Methods: Grad courses in probability/stats, OLS, MLE, scaling, time series, simultaneous equations, intro to formal theory.

Letters: two fulls and an associate from my department. Should be positive, and they know me well.

Assistantships: TA for four semesters. RA for one semester.

I applied to 14 schools, which you should be able to see listed in my signature. Best of luck to all of you!

Hi everyone! I've been lurking, figured I should post. I'm not applying till 2010, so any tips on improving my application are welcome...

I'm going to a H/Y/P, applying for poli. sci. with methods. My departmental GPA is around a 3.7, actual one is a bit lower. I don't have any published work yet, but I'm working on an honors thesis that focuses on repeated bayesian games, and I'm hoping to research more with another professor next semester (they've all been incredibly helpful). Have taken math-based econometrics, microeconomic theory, macroeconomic theory, stats, and a few finance courses. My major is government/polisci, so I've taken IR/Politheory courses as well. Any idea on what I can do to improve over the next year aside from studying for the GRE? I hope to apply to Princeton, Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Rochester, U. Mich, NYU, Columbia, UCSD, U Chic.

Thanks and good luck to everyone!

polphd:

If you want to focus on quant, you should apply to PhD Stanford, Michigan, NYU, Harvard, and Rochester. With your info, you will likely get into one if not all of them. I don't think Yale, Princeton, Chicago or UCSD will serve your interests as well with respect to methods unless there is a specific faculty you are deeply interested in working with. If you go into serious quant, you will soon discover that the topic you study (IR, American political behavior, comparative studies) pretty much doesn't matter, it's just different data and modeling challenges, no more.

Suggestion: Take more upper level math/stats courses (and few if any soft IR/area studies) next year. You will want to be highly teched up to jump right in at these programs. Good luck!

With all respect to dysmetria, I think you would be very well served to also apply to Yale (Don Green and co. are very good at graduate training), and Princeton (despite some turmoil in the methods group, Ashworth just got tenure and will presumably be around for a while). Caltech and Stanford Business are also good choices if you are sure that you want to do pure methods work.

I'm going to a H/Y/P, applying for poli. sci. with methods. My departmental GPA is around a 3.7, actual one is a bit lower. I don't have any published work yet, but I'm working on an honors thesis that focuses on repeated bayesian games, and I'm hoping to research more with another professor next semester (they've all been incredibly helpful). Have taken math-based econometrics, microeconomic theory, macroeconomic theory, stats, and a few finance courses. My major is government/polisci, so I've taken IR/Politheory courses as well. Any idea on what I can do to improve over the next year aside from studying for the GRE?

If your primary interest is methods, then I would strongly recommend taking as much math as you can. As you mention bayesian games and econometrics, you probably have at least some math background, but I would recommend supplementing it as much as possible, whether that means taking classes or teaching yourself. Sooner or later, you will need the following math skills if you want to really get into formal modeling or methods:

(minimum)

Uni- and Multivariate calculus

Linear Algebra

Real Analysis (the skill you really need is the reading and writing of proofs)

Probability and Statistics

(recommended)

Calculus Based Statistics

Time series econometrics

Panel data

Optimal Control

Operations Management, or Non-linear Optimization (depending on what your school calls it).

The minimum skills are things you should really take as an undergrad or be prepared to have a steep learning curve when you start. The recommended skills are things that will likely be part of your graduate training, but it always helps to get ahead when you can. If your school gives you the option of taking graduate level game theory, econometrics, or methods courses, then take them if you feel adequately prepared and believe that you can do well.

Best of luck.

Just in case you haven't checked the other forms and you want some random stats on the notification timeline, check out the "Waiting It Out" section. The post is entitled "I Must be Obsessed..." All the info is specific to Poli. Sci. so I thought I'd cross-reference it here.

Does the general idea that one shouldn't do a PhD at the same place as one does a BA apply in political science? Because, if so, it'd seem like since polphd is at H/Y/P (and probably not P since no one there does an honors thesis, afaik), wouldn't that school be a real long shot for the PhD? Just wondering if it works the same in poli sci as it does in some other disciplines...

Yes, under normal circumstances. I've always heard from professors and other people in my field that this is the case. Programs are not likely to admit you if you got your B.A. from that department.

I've heard the opposite. If your previous program feels you are a good fit for the department, there is really nothing for them to gain by turning you down.

Me either CaPoliSciPhD. That's why I asked. I know that when I was trying to decide whether to stay at my MA school for the PhD or go elsewhere, a faculty member that had little stake in it (he wasn't on my committee though I'd taken classes with him) said that if I had funding and the opportunity to work with a lot of great people and that it would be better for me, in the long run, to learn from more people, take different classes, etc. which I wouldn't be able to do if I stayed.

Hi,

GPA 3.7

BA English Lit from an international institution

MA Communication from Georgetown

applying to PHD in Poli Sci at:

Yale

Upenn

Stanford

UChicago

USC

WashU

UMichigan

Brown

NYU

UVirginia

Am I aiming too high...

Thanks for all your help, this is awesome info. I talked to my professors, and they had mixed feelings about reapplying to one's undergraduate institution. I'll throw my application in the pile anyways, just because I'm applying to so many reaches as it is. As for the math courses--I'm currently a senior, so I will be doing research or working for a year before I apply. I can't really take the courses at a university without paying high nonstudent fees. Would you recommend I just read Real Analysis books on my own, and then try to write paper drafts that might demonstrate my knowledge? What suggestions do you have on how to show the committee that I have learned these subjects (and, of course, actually learning the subjects)?

Also, any ideas on what jobs might be good to hold during my year off? I'm considering many things from the peace corps (a two-year stint that isn't directly related to modeling, of course) to working at a university or for a financial firm.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the reply, adaptations. my undergrad and grad gpa are both 3.7, oddly. GRE 550verb(sucks, i know)/790quant

i have two research papers that recently got published, mass comm related...not sure if i should send the programs i am applying to a note on this update tho, i mean, at this point when the admission cycle is kicking...

polphd,

My undergrad dept (in the humanities) explicitly told all of us that if we wanted to go to grad school in that field, we needed to go elsewhere. They said they'd only let in 1 of their undergrads in 15 years. So don't consider your undergrad a safety. It's a reach too.

As for the year off, do something you want to do and are passionate about. You don't want to be too bored but it's nice to do stuff that's less academic for a while if you can. Peace Corps is really competitive and has an awful legacy, imo. You could look into teaching English abroad, working for a nonprofit, Americorps (doesn't pay well but can be extremely rewarding).

Sam123

I wish you the best of luck during this process. Unfortunately, I think your verbal score is going to significantly hinder you at the top programs. Hopefully your SOP and writing sample are top notch, which will show them what your capable of - instead of just a number. The good thing is, you applied to a nice range of schools, so hopefully good news and funding will come from somewhere.

to adaptations,

thanks again for your kind reply. i guess GRE verb still serves as a hurdle for non-native speakers, especially those from east asia...

unrelated, i read a post in last years results, that there were 8700 applicants to the yale poli sci program in 2008???

oh, best of luck to everyone on this forum

My graduate program (one of H/Y/P) regularly admitted students from the same university - there were perhaps as many as 5 in one cohort. I know that this is true of the other programs as well, because I see the CVs of graduate students from these schools applying for jobs at my institution as they finish.

Is it too late for you to change your class registrations for your senior year? Methods are difficult to teach to yourself, and having the classes on your transcript will be important to show the necessary commitment to (and ability in) advanced math. If you must work for a year, you'd keep your skills sharper if you did applied math with datasets, i.e. the Fed, BLS, or finance. Do-gooder jobs won't hurt, but if you are committed to methods, you'd be better off with a real math job. P and Y are both well-funded programs, obviously, but the most interesting cutting edge stuff in your area of interest is coming out of NYU and Stanford right now.