UVA

Colorado

NYU

Possibly:

UCLA

UCSD

Michigan (highly unlikely)

Feel free to add to the list :)

Just seconding the unlikeliness of Michigan happening this week - As of Friday the committee hadn't met yet and I get the sense they won't be meeting for awhile. Although, one of my prof's just e-mailed a colleague at another school asking for the names of his students who applied, that could be a good sign.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I applied to a few lower tiered schools but they are still good quality schools that have their pick of outstanding, or at least very solid, applicants. I applied based on fit and tried to shoot for a range of schools to give me at least some options if the top schools don't take me. Honestly though, its all a shot in the dark. I think what it boils down to, assuming you look qualified enough on paper to make any initial cuts, is whether Potential Advisor X takes a shine to your file. So to answer your question, yes, I applied to a few middle-range schools. To show where you applied on your posts, put it in your signature on your account profile.

So what's the process at Michigan? A post on the results page says the decision meeting hasn't taken place yet. Probably the boys and girls in charge of ranking apps have mostly gone through them though, right?

What does "it could be a while" mean?

That was me - yes the commitee has all of the applications and are going through them/may have finished, but as far as I know they haven't met yet - and the person who told me seemed surprised that I would think that they had met, which is where i got the sense that it might be awhile. But, there has been some action recently so they may be getting started (hopefully).

That was me - yes the commitee has all of the applications and are going through them/may have finished, but as far as I know they haven't met yet - and the person who told me seemed surprised that I would think that they had met, which is where i got the sense that it might be awhile. But, there has been some action recently so they may be getting started (hopefully).

Ok. Thanks a lot for your reply scintille. This really helps to clear things up. I have a long hanging on that particular app, and it is with much anticipation that I await the results.

Good luck to you

Hi Ivyreject, I've applied to schools that are not top 10, or even top 20, based on a number of things, including location, department specialties, who I wanted to work with, etc. I "hand-picked" my schools (I've applied to 3 - actually one is a top ten but I am not applying to the polisci dept.) in the sense that I heavily researched each one, visited campuses, and talked with possible advisors. Like you, my background is unusual (actually this is sounding familiar to me; I may have replied to one of your previous posts - if I recall, you are interested in the role of religion in politics?) I think, though, that either applicants like us (who did not apply to a rash of top-tens) are a minority, or there are a lot of lurkers intimidated by the quality and ambition of so many of the posters on this forum!

PS Only one of my LOR was from a social scientist. One was from a professor I had 5 classes with in college. And the last was from a work supervisor. I hope that doesn't sink me. But, at 28, I haven't been in school in a while and have actually managed to do fine in the real world. So hopefully the committees will care more about a letter from someone who actually knows my work and ability than a former professor who barely remembers me and who, in any event, has to crank out dozens if not hundreds of these things every fall for people s/he barely knows. We shall see...

I noticed someone on the results page got an acceptance from BU and a rejection from BC.... I'd love to hear more from that person.

For what it's worth I think we all feel some intimidation on the board. I can only speak for myself, and I do tend to think of myself as a weak applicant amid the incredibly strong applicant pool in this self-selected, incredibly biased sample. I also participated in the board (though to a far lesser degree) the first time I applied to graduate school two years ago, and I felt the exact same feelings. Like some of the others, I didn't necessarily apply to highly-ranked schools only -- there are some to be sure, but those decisions were based more on fit and needs than on ranking. Others take a different approach.

It is refreshing to see people that want to study politics from a new angle. Rest assured, there are many committee members that feel the same way. I can't say it's a majority, but it only takes one advocate to get into a school. From there, you grind and you grind and you grind and prove why your unique background matters.

So, chin up. And remember - this is the business we've chosen. If it was predictable, we'd call it law school.

Here's a little update on UVA...

My status is still "pending" and the Grad coordinator just emailed me back saying no decision has been made. Maybe they just sent out the first wave? Maybe some of us are still being mulled over? Maybe the grad coordinator is just brushing me off and doesnt want to tell me I'm a reject? We'll see....just thought anyone still in the dark might be interested to know this.

Ok. Thanks a lot for your reply scintille. This really helps to clear things up. I have a long hanging on that particular app, and it is with much anticipation that I await the results.

Good luck to you

Good luck to you too! I'm at UM so I'll try to keep everyone updated

Here's a little update on UVA...

My status is still "pending" and the Grad coordinator just emailed me back saying no decision has been made. Maybe they just sent out the first wave? Maybe some of us are still being mulled over? Maybe the grad coordinator is just brushing me off and doesnt want to tell me I'm a reject? We'll see....just thought anyone still in the dark might be interested to know this.

Indeed, this is good news for you, at least, poliscidude. I emailed and was told quite violently that I was rejected.

Oh, have any other UGA people heard anything/had their Admission Tracking Database page changed to reflect that a decision has been made?

No, but they did add the 'certificate of finances' form that they want me to fill in (for a visa) to my list of pending documents ...

I just wanted to offer some comfort to those waiting on news from Yale, since I was one of the people waiting throughout the weekend. At about 4:00 today I received an email telling me to check the website for a decision, which was an acceptance. A few minutes later I received a call from Jon Butler, the graduate school dean to tell me. When I mentioned I had just received the email, he said "I had hoped to notify you myself." I would not be surprised if they are spacing acceptances so that he can make calls. So for those still waiting, good luck.

On UVA, I was also told no decision had been made on my app and that I should check back later this week...not too hopeful though given the number already admitted on this board. Congrats everyone!

Hhhmmmm.... My application status page for UVA still shows "PENDING". I didn't know UVA had rounds like some other schools. OR is UVA processing some later files together as well. I really don't want to give up hope until the final verdict but curious to know the process at UVA works.

On UVA, I was also told no decision had been made on my app and that I should check back later this week...not too hopeful though given the number already admitted on this board. Congrats everyone!

I wouldn't be too discouraged ... by my last count there are only six of us on this board who have been admitted to UVA at this point.

I just wanted to offer some comfort to those waiting on news from Yale, since I was one of the people waiting throughout the weekend. At about 4:00 today I received an email telling me to check the website for a decision, which was an acceptance. A few minutes later I received a call from Jon Butler, the graduate school dean to tell me. When I mentioned I had just received the email, he said "I had hoped to notify you myself." I would not be surprised if they are spacing acceptances so that he can make calls. So for those still waiting, good luck.

Thanks for the hopeful words! I really want to hear soon, as the waiting is killing me slowly and painfully.

anyone hear anything on Northwestern? I was hoping this would be my first notification one way or the other...and sooooooon, please

For me, no news from UVA, Duke and Northwestern. I'm curious as to what the admissions committee found so disturbing in my file as to not issue either an admittance or a rejection.

Well from the results page it seems Penn State and Pittsburgh have started their notifications as well. Congrats to those who were admitted.

Thanks for the info.. i'm waiting as well and its driving me crazy!!!!