Boren 2012-2013

DanielJones

Someone mentioned budget update request emails for Eastern Europe / Eurasia. I received one on Wednesday. I don't want to be more specific than that, since I'm sure the fellowship staff do monitor this site.

So you were Fellowship?

Have any Scholarship applicants who applied to E. Europe/Russia receive the budget update e-mail yet?

So you were Fellowship?

Have any Scholarship applicants who applied to E. Europe/Russia receive the budget update e-mail yet?

Sorry, I forgot to specify. I'm a scholarship applicant for Russia and no I did not. Sadly, It appears that the final scholarship updates went out today.

Edited by JMurphy

FYI to those who have not heard from Boren: My school's Boren advisor called the DC headquarters to ask about the budget emails. They told her that "a few" of the scholarship budget emails went out on Friday and that there will be more. So maybe all is not lost for those who haven't gotten the email....

Just thought I'd let you guys know:

I received a budget email last week.

Language: Xhosa

US Institution: Arizona State University

Does anybody know how the alternate process works? I'm unsure if I will accept the award, granted I'm chosen, and I want to know how that affects other applicants.

This is weird, I too emailed a Boren person and they responded that

Dear Grace,

We send out emails to applicants for whom we have questions. We have not yet sent any emails asking for budget updates to any Boren Scholarship applicants.

Best,

Aimee Hutton

Program Manager

Boren Scholarships

Institute of International Education

1400 K St. NW Suite 700

Washington, DC 20005

1-800-618-NSEP

www.borenawards.org

Has there ever been a case where a person received a budget email and then didn't get the scholarship at all and was rejected?

Based on last years data, no. Every person who received the budget request was given an award or named an alternate.

Just thought I'd let you guys know:

I received a budget email last week.

Language: Xhosa

US Institution: Arizona State University

Does anybody know how the alternate process works? I'm unsure if I will accept the award, granted I'm chosen, and I want to know how that affects other applicants.

Boren gives out a selected amount of awards based on the funding they get from the DoD. So if you were to decline your award, the monetary value of the award would be granted to an alternate. It is important to note that they don't operate as "they award X many scholarships/fellowships to a Y number of people"; they operate on a cash basis.

Also, I would like to advise all of you: anything - and I mean ANYTHING involving the federal government takes time and often does not make sense, so you need to practice patience. For example, last year Obama ordered the director of the OPM to streamline federal government hiring. So what did he do? He turned a 30 page SF-86 clearance form into...130 pages!

Do not take what is said on this forum as absolute truth, a lot of this is speculation (founded in evidence, however). If Boren says that they have not sent out all of the budget requests, than they haven't.

I can review my application on the Boren site when I update my budget.

So when you go there, you can see a place where you can click on your application and then change stuff? Because this means that since there's no update button for me, I'm not likely to be seeing a letter, if they are, in fact still sending more. I can log into my account, but it just has it greyed out.

This is weird, I too emailed a Boren person and they responded that

Dear Grace,

We send out emails to applicants for whom we have questions. We have not yet sent any emails asking for budget updates to any Boren Scholarship applicants.

Best,

Also, I would like to advise all of you: anything - and I mean ANYTHING involving the federal government takes time and often does not make sense, so you need to practice patience. For example, last year Obama ordered the director of the OPM to streamline federal government hiring. So what did he do? He turned a 30 page SF-86 clearance form into...130 pages!

Just ran across this, for your enjoyment: Bureaucracies are machines for the "production of indifference" (Herzfeld 1992).

Yea I don't think it means anything other than that the person who answered my email was out of the emailing loop. I kind of just wish they'd stop trolling us who didn't get the appropriate email and tell us we're already out of the running.

They don't do that because you still might be an alternate.

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to input that I did receive the financial information email last week.

Language: Urdu

US Institution: University of Georgia

Best of luck to everyone!

I can't believe we have to wait ANOTHER month for results. I was so stressed out the other week I dreamt that all my teeth were falling out. It was frightening... O_O