what's with all the YALE HATE?

mnchick

I'm in the program now and I LOVE it! I think that if I would have gone anywhere else, I would have regretted it. There are days when I question the program and my place in the program but who doesn't question themselves in any program.

to say that Yale is no longer relevant in the art world is a little blanketed, don't you think?

Edited by mnchick

I don't think anyone here is really hating on Yale (well, maybe some)... they are just making the point that it is not the right program for everyone. Would I love to get into their photography program? Of course. But right now I am seriously debating whether or not the Yale name is worth being $80,000 to $100,000 in debt when I get out. And that goes for any private art school. There are some really great state schools that can give you just as good of an education if not better for some people (depending on what kind of work they do).

I would love to hear about your experiences in the program and how your interview went if you would like to share.

OK, let's face it. I'm the Yale hater.

My problem is the really terrible work I've seen coming out of there, coupled with the hushed reverence people have for Yale because it's Ivy League. Big deal. The proof is in the pudding, and Yale pudding is pathetic.

No offense.

After researching Yale's Drawing & Painting program, I decided it is not for me. I am definitely not into "Provisional" art which I know will be a well respected form over there...among other forms which do not suit me. It comes down to what kind of art you do and like. I wouldn't say I hate Yale but I will say I have absolutely no affinity towards the art they're producing now. A lot of things in life and the things I have found out has actually made me want to stay on the west coast. LA is a bustling and interesting art scene. I think I am going to stay here.

@loosemygrip, you're basing your opinion on that work and that work alone? hmm, i see.

@thestranger, have you talked to the current students in the program about their experiences?

I think loosemygrip gave the link merely to highlight his own opinion, rather than lay the foundation for it.

I can see why one person's distaste in a school could make others a little combative, but the judgment of art really is a personal experience and is therefore subject to personal taste. Loosemygrip thinks the art produced by Yale students is terrible, you think it's good, but you're both right!

I'm pretty open to a lot of different art and there definitely is strong work coming out of Yale still in my opinion, but that doesn't mean I'm going to like everything that comes out of Yale just because it's Yale. If anything I might hate the cost though.

@loosemygrip, you're basing your opinion on that work and that work alone? hmm, i see.

@thestranger, have you talked to the current students in the program about their experiences?

No, as I've said many times, I've viewed Yale student work in the regional MFA shows that CAA puts on, and it's consistently terrible. Here's a particularly egregious example.

^You either upload it or link a website image url.

As for Yale, I just never see any art in their MFA Shows that I feel "wowed" by. They have a very specific aesthetic choice in their program that does not fit me well. I am not drawn to these pieces aesthetically or conceptually. That's just me. I know some of you will really like these works. It is all very personal.

28.jpg

32.jpg

34.jpg

46.jpg

39.jpg

Edited by TheStranger

This thread and its antecedents have become more or less ridiculous.

If you don't like the work that's coming out of a particular program, don't apply there. Your energies are better spent trying to figure out where you do want to study rather than ranting about where you don't.

This forum has been more-or-less about figuring out which schools are a better fit for individuals. These posts follows through the thought process and investigation of the school work. But when someone decides one school doesn't fit them, someone here asks why to get a better idea of the whole discussion or to reflect upon their own decisions. I don't think anyone has meant to go beyond just that or to offend anyone's tastes. I know people who post here who would love Yale. And by all means I would like for them to apply.

Personally I love how people say which schools they love or hate. It really gives me the best idea of what these schools are like. If people just focused on mentioning which schools they wanted to study at, and never mentioned which schools they didn't, I think there would be a great gap in understanding what makes all these schools different. So, in contrast, I applaud those who have had opinions here (negative or positive). You can digest the opinion or not...at least you have it available.

Edited by TheStranger

This thread and its antecedents have become more or less ridiculous.

If you don't like the work that's coming out of a particular program, don't apply there. Your energies are better spent trying to figure out where you do want to study rather than ranting about where you don't.

In my opinion, this POST is what's really ridiculous. The whole point of fora such as these is to share opinions and information. It's good to know what different opinions are of programs. And the pictures that have been posted may help someone to determine if this is for them. Why wouldn't one want to know if a program had its fans and foes? Oh, and don't assume all participants are current applicants. Some of us may be seasoned professionals just trying to help.

If you don't like the commentary that's coming out of a particular forum, don't write there. Your energies are better spent trying to figure out where you do want to write rather than ranting about the commentary you don't like.

• 1 month later...

I predict Tyler and Mica will move up and surpass Yale in the drawing and painting rankings very soon.

I also think though that any school that is going to put you 100k in debt is a bit full of itself. Especially with 30% unemployment in the 24-30yr old age bracket.

Find a good state school. If you start to think of it as quality/ranking per dollar, Yale isn't near the top anymore.

Champaign-Urbana

Hunter

Long Beach

UCLA

Rutgers

UT Austin

Edited by Demain

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...