MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

Well said, Leetimko. I have the same issues I have with the NYAA as I do with PAFA. I've known a handful of people who have gone to both places, overall they're positive about the programs. Although, they've never explained "why" they like it other than mentioning the "famous" people they "study" with. They lure you in with the promise of studying with people like Assael, Kanevsky, Ann Gale, etc. So you do actually meet with them a few times a year, that's fine I guess. I'd rather not put myself in 100k of debt (after tuition and living in the city) just so I could say that I had 4 critiques with Vincent Desiderio. If you're figurative, and you think that NYAA is the best choice for you because you had an unsatisfactory undergraduate education at a foundational level (which I think is why most people are attracted to these places) then you could just as easily take the year off, set up some still-lives or work from the model or mirror, learn sight-to-size method, watch demonstrations on youtube, and support other professional artists by buying some of their painting and drawing dvds.

I understand that finances are a major aspect of the decision making process for getting an MFA. So far, PAFA is looking like a great fit for my work and a city that I've dreamed of living in. I received a small scholarship and awaiting financial aid. If it's not enough, you bet I'm going to try my hardest to get more. If your definition of "prestigious" is based on ranking, reputation, and "famous" people to "study" with, then why is PAFA so bad? It may not be in the top ten (#58), and it may not offer a full ride (does every school??) but I guess I don't see why you have a low opinion of it if you don't know firsthand. Although the handful of people you know spoke positively of the school, you seem very suspicious. Can you elaborate why? Not everyone gets accepted to a top program, not everyone gets the dream financial package, and some don't get accepted at all. I'm very happy that people on this board (you included) have been accepted with great funding. But you're giving off the impression that it's wrong to go to a school that I really want to go to.

p.s. My undergraduate experience was excellent.

I understand that finances are a major aspect of the decision making process for getting an MFA. So far, PAFA is looking like a great fit for my work and a city that I've dreamed of living in. I received a small scholarship and awaiting financial aid. If it's not enough, you bet I'm going to try my hardest to get more. If your definition of "prestigious" is based on ranking, reputation, and "famous" people to "study" with, then why is PAFA so bad? It may not be in the top ten (#58), and it may not offer a full ride (does every school??) but I guess I don't see why you have a low opinion of it if you don't know firsthand. Although the handful of people you know spoke positively of the school, you seem very suspicious. Can you elaborate why? Not everyone gets accepted to a top program, not everyone gets the dream financial package, and some don't get accepted at all. I'm very happy that people on this board (you included) have been accepted with great funding. But you're giving off the impression that it's wrong to go to a school that I really want to go to.

p.s. My undergraduate experience was excellent.

First off sorry to offend whoisit, it's not my intention. I decided to bring up the issue because I was in a similar situation. Last year I applied to three schools, one of them being PAFA (which I was in love with at the time). I flew out there two different times, once to initially visit and the other to attend the open house. The first time I visited, I was blown away with seeing Kanevsky's work in person, being led around the enormous facilities, and talking with other graduate students and faculty members I felt that I had a lot in common with (and idolized throughout my undergrad). It was my dream school, and as it turned out PAFA ended up being my only acceptance, and was offered a merit scholarship of something like $7k a year I think.

I was convinced that I was going to accept and go there and make something of myself, and the debt wouldn't matter because I would have an MFA from PAFA and that could open doors in the art world. I then attended the open house to make sure it was something I really wanted. This time around I was able to see the school without being blinded by infatuation. They bring in 50 new hopefuls a year(and by hopefuls I mean people that were like me looking for a kickass Figurative school with a capital 'F'), they charge them out the ass, and then you are sent packing. A face among the many in the crowd, and before anyone retorts saying that, "You have to SHINE out of the crowd!" give me a break, no shit. This is a very crude way of stating it, but it is still my conclusion. Check the place out on your own, but don't be blinded by infatuation.

When I turned down PAFA's offer in early April, I immediately started doing research on several schools, writing, and painting non-stop because I was determined to find a program that would be the right fit. Again, I have no intention in offending, I just think it's wise to think about it, really THINK about what that kind of debt can do to a person in economic times like these. There are programs out there flying under the radar that most don't even know about (UCSB for instance, we all read that thread). Best of luck and attend the open house, I would like to know what you think.

Somebody over at the Results Forum reports an admit to Parsons (Design and Tech.)

He/she received the news by logging onto my.newschool.edu

I wonder how?

Hey guys,

So I have another update-- today I got an email acceptance to VCU sculpture!

But I know for sure that they're still notifying people for interviews, they go kind of slowly.

congrats! you must feel on top of the world ! and thanks for the info! i feel like schools got an overwhelming amount of applicants this year esp. which is why , my personal opinion here, they might take a bit longer to decide

dear wednesday,

please bring us some answers.

best wishes,

an anxious applicant

Knowing how hard it is still waiting on answers from 9 schools, I can only imagine how frustrated those who haven't heard anything must feel! So many assumed rejections... just tell us please!

dear wednesday,

please bring us some answers.

best wishes,

an anxious applicant

Knowing how hard it is still waiting on answers from 9 schools, I can only imagine how frustrated those who haven't heard anything must feel! So many assumed rejections... just tell us please!

agreed! hope today brings everyone some happiness and peace of mind!

So many acceptances--congratulations, guys and gals!

I'm also glad to see some important dialogue going on here. Itsem, thanks for the perspective. It's important to step back and look at the big picture.

susanbanthony69 and whoisit, I'm glad we're having this discussion. It's worthwhile to question what "prestigious" really means and to weigh personal instinct against reputation and rank. (My opinion is that we will each find a good fit at very different types of schools--it's like finding a mate or like med students getting matched for residencies).

Your conversation has also brought us to a good point: is it good or bad to have to shine the brightest among a group of bright students? Does it set up an impossible situation, or does it force you to work even harder and get more out of the graduate experience?

These are such tough decisions.

I think it can push you more and in a different direction. The past year of having little to no contact with people to look at my paintings has really made me miss being around a group of peers all feeling as passionately as you. I often learn more from what other people have to say about my work than I could ever imagine, and this brings a whole new set of ideas to the table that you can play off of. It can however set up an impossible situation in many ways, more feelings of angst if you don't quite meet your own expectations as well as others, but really are giving it all you've got.

Some news, I heard by phone earlier this week that I was accepted at USF!

Schools can't be silent forever can they? ('we secretly admitted ten people whose identities remain undisclosed, here is the first clue..')

Some news, I heard by phone earlier this week that I was accepted at USF!

Schools can't be silent forever can they? ('we secretly admitted ten people whose identities remain undisclosed, here is the first clue..')

Congrats!!!! Did you get any word on funding yet?

Susanbanthony69,

I appreciate your response. Sorry I sounded so ticked. I wrote that after drinking several cups of coffee and attending Henry Rollins' spoken word show. I guess his fight-against-injustices energy was still with me. I am glad that you do have some experience with PAFA, and it's a perspective I haven't heard before. I have heard many positive things about the school, and it's good to hear the bad as well.

I am definitely going to visit and see for myself.

Regarding PAFA and NYAA:

These are appropriate discussions to have. I personally do not believe that a $100K degree from one of these places gives you any competitive advantage to make it worthwhile. They are well-known in the niche market of traditional representational painting, but not so well respected in the mainstream art world. If you can get decent funding, by all means. But otherwise, find a normal school with at least one good figurative person on the faculty, and go there.

Which school sent you this? Did they really say "2014"!

MICA...forgot to write the school..edited the post now..

and yes i copied the line from the mail..they said 2014

Edited by humour

I know how you feel, I've had nothing BUT the abyss of silence! I know that Tyler emailed people who are finalists - I didn't get that email, but I didn't get the rejection letter that other people have received either. I know that RISD and NYU have invited people for interviews - I didn't get an invite, but I didn't get a rejection either. What's happening? Who knows. It's a long shot, but I'm hoping that maybe I'm on some kind of wait list (hey, a girl can dream). I have a friend who interviewed at NYU last year in early/mid April, so you never know what might happen!

For people who (like me) haven't heard anything back, good or bad, from Tyler - I spoke to someone from their admissions department today and it seems we're still in the running even though we weren't contacted for interviews. The applicants that they decided not to admit after the first review were already notified. I got the impression that the people who have already had interview requests are certainly in the best standing, but the rest shouldn't necessarily despair. She even said a few people now and then are accepted without ever being asked to interview. The final results should go out by the end of the month.

I'm in a tough spot because the deposit for NYAA to hold me a place is due on April 1, so if Tyler doesn't send a reply before then it's a problem. Hmmm...