MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

I know, "no decision" for me too. I'm beginning to think I must be waitlisted, since I haven't heard either way.

UGH

Also still waiting to hear from UIC, tyler (finalist there)... Hunter interview is on saturday, I'm starting to get nervous about that one...

Hunter interview, that's exciting! (And I'm sure nerve-wracking!)

I got an email asking for an interview from UCONN last week! It's a really small but awesome program...

Has anyone been up there to visit? I'm planning on checking it out when I can, I was wondering what the facilities are like though?

CONGRATS! Its a good program. Good luck. Or have you already done the interview? How did it go?

Some schools offer graduate teaching assistantships with or without tuition waivers and/or stipends while teaching. Usually if you get an assistantship, you get some sort of compensation which can be a little or a great deal (tens of thousands). Some have the TA's assist a professor or senior grad student during the teaching. Some will even let the grad student be the teacher of record (which you want on your cv if you can get it). Also, it is obvious from looking at the "lecturers" at many schools, that they hire recent MFA graduates to teach as they continue their search for more permanent positions elsewhere. Any and all of those things are valuable to reduce the cost of your education and to add to your experience.

Rutgers, where you are accepted, often has very good compensation but you have to send them a letter after getting accepted, to explain your teaching experiences, your technical skills, and your need. If you have been accepted, ask them about it by phone.

These positions can be very valuable. I received three of them so far. One of them includes tuition waiver, stipend, and health/dental/vision insurance coverage. If I add it all up, it is worth slightly less than $50,000 per year. That financial package is really helping me to make my decision.

Three of them offered by Rutgers? Wow that's generous. I have been thinking that Rutgers would be expensive and not off aid. I guess I was wrong and/or too pleased about another offer to think about it further. I got a full ride at UofW-Madison. I wonder if I can tell Rutgers about this other offer to entice them. Lol. Just kidding. That would be stupid. What did you include in your letter?

Some schools offer graduate teaching assistantships with or without tuition waivers and/or stipends while teaching. Usually if you get an assistantship, you get some sort of compensation which can be a little or a great deal (tens of thousands). Some have the TA's assist a professor or senior grad student during the teaching. Some will even let the grad student be the teacher of record (which you want on your cv if you can get it). Also, it is obvious from looking at the "lecturers" at many schools, that they hire recent MFA graduates to teach as they continue their search for more permanent positions elsewhere. Any and all of those things are valuable to reduce the cost of your education and to add to your experience.

Rutgers, where you are accepted, often has very good compensation but you have to send them a letter after getting accepted, to explain your teaching experiences, your technical skills, and your need. If you have been accepted, ask them about it by phone.

These positions can be very valuable. I received three of them so far. One of them includes tuition waiver, stipend, and health/dental/vision insurance coverage. If I add it all up, it is worth slightly less than $50,000 per year. That financial package is really helping me to make my decision.

Oh yeah, and how did you find out about the aid they are offering you? I didn't receive anything in the mail yet... Anywho, I'm visiting Rutgers tomorrow so I guess I'll ask about it in person!

Three of them offered by Rutgers? Wow that's generous. I have been thinking that Rutgers would be expensive and not off aid. I guess I was wrong and/or too pleased about another offer to think about it further. I got a full ride at UofW-Madison. I wonder if I can tell Rutgers about this other offer to entice them. Lol. Just kidding. That would be stupid. What did you include in your letter?

I don't think it's necessarily "stupid" to mention that you've been offered a nice fianancial package at another university - it's all apart of the negotiation process. Granted, you have to do it tactfully, with taste and precision, but I think you are will within your rights to ask them what they can offer you compared to what you've already been given by another institution.

No no... you miss understood. I've got nothing yet from Rutgers except an acceptance. Three of the OTHER schools that I've been accepted to have offered some money so far. One was very generous, others less so. I've sent a letter to Rutgers per the acceptance letter, asking for an assistantship. No word yet.

I don't think it's necessarily "stupid" to mention that you've been offered a nice fianancial package at another university - it's all apart of the negotiation process. Granted, you have to do it tactfully, with taste and precision, but I think you are will within your rights to ask them what they can offer you compared to what you've already been given by another institution.

Agreed, in one of my emails to a school where I was accepted, I said I would carefully consider the quality of the schools along with offers of financial support. I also mentioned that with the current state of the economy, the cost of higher education is something to be concerned about. Then I mentioned that I did receive a full tuition waiver and generous stipend from one school. What they do with that information is up to them. They know that schools offer financial support. Just be tactful when you do it. Negotiation is important as I've heard of schools suddenly coming up with lots more aid for an accepted student in order to compete against another school.

Remember, while "we" are competing for schools, the schools are also competing for the best candidates. While the deck might be stacked in their favor, we still have some bargaining chips.

Thanks! How does one typically get a teaching position while a grad. student? These positions are usually competitive positions, right? So hopefully you get one year of teaching or if you are lucky two years or three years?

It usually will come as part of a recruitment package. The best offers usually start with a year or two of pure fellowship, where you get paid just to be there (and free tuition, of course), followed by a year or two of TA. Sometimes they might start you right off with a TA and scholarship. Sometimes you might become an instructor for a semester or two after you've graduated. It all varies depending on the institution and their needs at the time.

Go for the best financial package you can get.

Here is an example of what some of us would like to do upon getting rejection letters:

April 29, 1998

Herbert A Millington

Chair - Graduate Studies Committee

Whatsa Matta University

College Hill, MA 01610

Dear Professor Millington,

Thank for your letter of April 16. After careful consideration, I regret to inform you that I am unable to accept your refusal to offer me admission to your department.

This year I have been particularly fortunate in receiving an unusually large number of rejection letters. With such a varied and promising field of candidates it is impossible for me to accept all refusals.

Despite W.M.U.'s outstanding qualifications and previous experience in rejecting applicants, I find that your rejection does not meet my needs at this time. Therefore, I will join the ranks of graduate students in your department this September. I look forward to seeing you then.

Best of luck in rejecting future applicants.

Sincerely,

[your name here]

Here is an example of what some of us would like to do upon getting rejection letters:

April 29, 1998

Herbert A Millington

Chair - Graduate Studies Committee

Whatsa Matta University

College Hill, MA 01610

Dear Professor Millington,

Thank for your letter of April 16. After careful consideration, I regret to inform you that I am unable to accept your refusal to offer me admission to your department.

This year I have been particularly fortunate in receiving an unusually large number of rejection letters. With such a varied and promising field of candidates it is impossible for me to accept all refusals.

Despite W.M.U.'s outstanding qualifications and previous experience in rejecting applicants, I find that your rejection does not meet my needs at this time. Therefore, I will join the ranks of graduate students in your department this September. I look forward to seeing you then.

Best of luck in rejecting future applicants.

Sincerely,

[your name here]

Best thing I've read all day ! thanks for the laugh !

Congrats! Did they mention an open house in your email? they did on mine (april 1st) and I'm looking forward to it.

Yes they did, I'm pretty sure I will be going :) it's very exciting. The cost of tuition is the only thing I'm a little worried about.

So I had a dream last night that I check my mail and received my ARTnews for this month along with mail from schools I haven't ever talked to.

This morning I checked the mail and exactly that happened. ARTnews and mail from schools I have never contacted.

I've had that same thought all week. Mostly everyone on this forum needs a round of shots.

Miya

You have offers from two great programs, Rutgers and Alfred...are you leaning towards either?

I'm only assuming that we've made it past the first cut if they've sent out some rejections already. I'd like to know soon too.

I got a rejection letter for Graphic Design from BU.. don't know about other departments..

CONGRATS! Its a good program. Good luck. Or have you already done the interview? How did it go?

Thanks! I haven't gone yet, still scheduling my visit and interview with them. I have been doing practice interviews with my roommates haha. I think I think I'm ready though.