MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

I am still narrowing down my list of schools. Applying for Photography MFA. Can anyone give any insight into UCLA's photography program? I know Catherine Opie is there and I would love to work with her, but I don't really know much else about their program. What is the work coming out of the program like? Are grad students there guaranteed a TA position?

Right now I am also working on getting some newer work incorporated into my portfolio and putting the final touches on my artist statement.

Starling, not sure if you're open to applying abroad but your work would definitely fit in at UCL Slade. Good work!

Good to meet you all. I can admit, I am stressing right now and it's only September. Also narrowing down my schools and working on my writing.

@silverhalide - I just know UCLA has a great program and the UC system has good funding.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I'm a couple years out of my BFA at UT Austin and ready to go back to school!

I'm applying for MFAs in sculpture and/or new media... Right now I'm documenting new work and picking out my list of schools. The top ones are the easiest, but does anyone out there have a good list of some mid-range schools or a website they know of with acceptance rates? Trying to make an even spread...

Hello All!

I graduated from Cornell College (small liberal arts school) in May, and this will be my first application go around. I'm a painter mostly, but as with most others on this forum, I can't say I'll limit myself to being a single media artist. I've been looking into the whole process for the last couple years now, and I'm excited to finally apply.

Best of luck to everyone!

Hi paintcutter! I actually applied to RCA before and was asked to interview, and was impressed by the tour. The studios are medium sized but good for a city setting, and very well maintained, airy and bright (the building is newly renovated). The painting building is a little out of the way of the rest of the campus but there seemed to be a really nice community there. The main campus buildings are beautiful.

As for UCL I have not visited yet, but am hoping to be able to visit in the next few weeksi When I get the chance, I will gladly share an information I get.

I might also try to tour Goldsmiths, as I was on the fence about whether to apply there or not.

The artists coming out of RCA seem to all experiment with interesting materials such as pigmented latex and rubber. I'll be visiting if I'm asked to interview but was hoping to get as much information as I can about the school before that happens (if it happens).

I know that the Goldsmith's curatorial program is very strong but haven't heard much about the painting program. I'd love to hear more about it when you come back.

Have a wonderful time in London!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everybody!

What are you all thinking about statements? Focused on your work or your process? General statements or specifically referring to particular pieces? There seem to be a lot of different ways to go.

Statement: It depends on your work and the application. But, you will most likely have to write different versions of the statements for each app. If you are applying to Yale then look at the guidelines set there (which is basically everything about you in 500 words) and use that as a template? I am really overwhelmed by this myself, but honestly, most are going to put portfolio and recs above your personal statement. Personal statements I think are only useful to weed out people who have no business applying to MFA programs if their portfolio hasn't done so already. SO I am sure you are fine and just focus on the work itself. Honestly, most statements sound alike anyway. Or that is what I am telling myself.

Hi everyone!

I graduated 2 years ago from an art school in Spain and now applying to a bunch of schools in The States.

Does anyone know if Parsons and Pratt are good for sculpture? I've seen no so many people applying to these schools.

Thanks!

No they are not.

Virginia Commonwealth is pretty widely recognized as the best in sculpture. If you want to go in New York City, you'd have to try Hunter College, dreadful though it is. SUNY Purchase is better.

most are going to put portfolio and recs above your personal statement. Personal statements I think are only useful to weed out people who have no business applying to MFA programs if their portfolio hasn't done so already. Honestly, most statements sound alike anyway. Or that is what I am telling myself.

On the contrary, recs aren't really read much, statements definitely have more weight. From a statement they want to know what discourses your work engages with, why you want to go to their MFA program, and where you see your work developing. You could bring these things in through a variety of different writing approaches, but you almost have to hit those points.

On the contrary, recs aren't really read much, statements definitely have more weight. From a statement they want to know what discourses your work engages with, why you want to go to their MFA program, and where you see your work developing. You could bring these things in through a variety of different writing approaches, but you almost have to hit those points.

I agree that you need to be competent in talking about your practice. Where did you hear that about recs? I guess I am operating on misinformation! haha.

Hi All,

Hope you all are doing good. I am an international student from India. applying for Painting and Drawing Program.

I am totally stressed out as I do not have a Prior degree in Fine arts and I am not sure what are the parameters of an outstanding Portfolio. I have been painting and drawing since childhood as a hobby. Can someone help me with sample Portfolio's and let me know some good colleges in mid-range as I have the list of top ones.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-fine-arts-schools/painting-drawing-rankings

What is the Probability of Intl. students compared to locals in these top schools?

Hello everyone!

Sorry for the late notice, but I'm heading to USC's information session and tour. If anyone has questions they'd like me to ask and receive answers, post in the next couple of hours.

Also, I'll be attending Calarts next week and UCR the following week. I also expect to be attending UCLA's and UCI's as well, so feel free to message or post here if you have questions.

Take care everyone!

I agree that you need to be competent in talking about your practice. Where did you hear that about recs? I guess I am operating on misinformation! haha.

Its from talking to faculty at 3-4 schools as well as multiple grad students who have been part of the whole process. Almost all letters of rec are written by competent people who talk about the strengths of the students they are writing about. Sending in these letters is almost a formality, they just don't want to see mediocre or terrible recommendations. Some schools don't even want letters, but just a list of 3 people to call if they get a weird vibe from you. The only time letters of rec could make a big difference is if they are from friends of the faculty or from someone with a lot of clout in the artworld. Its much more important for them to hear you describe your own work.

Edited by michaelwebster

Just got back from USC's info session and it was super helpful. I'll have to post again since I'm going to run out again but Jud Fine really emphasized that anyone that mentions wanting an MFA to teach will not be considered. Also, there should only be one artist statement. In the online application, just write one artist statement and paste it in both the personal statement area and artist statement.

More to come!