MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

As a photographer applying to the following programs: UCLA, USC, YALE, COLUMBIA, CRANBROOK, SYRACUSE, & RISD. I am wondering if anyone has thoughts about these programs and others that I have not/should be considering as a photographer who is interested in pursuing interdisciplinary work (subtract Yale & Syracuse). In addition, after spending almost ten years out of school and unaccustomed to writing statements of purpose and/or tight artist statements, I am at a loss as to what is expected (I did see the post about wanting to teach, thank you for that.) If anyone--anyone--has tips on what to write, what not to write, you know, the general outline of these frustrating bits of work, I would be most appreciative. And...if anyone wants dish on Yale or Bard, I have visited both (attended crits and toured the campus), I am happy to divulge my impressions. Thanks.

Hi, amandapants,

I am a figurative artist (painting/drawing) and after looking at the NYAA video you posted and doing a little research into the school, I think it would be a VERY good fit for me. I'm wondering about the cost, though...I'm already pretty deep in debt from my undergrad degree (which isn't in art but in French Lit), and I'd like to avoid accumulating tens of thousands of dollars more in debt with an MFA so I've been trying to target schools that have good funding opportunities. What is the scholarship/funding situation like there at NYAA? And how do you fund the cost of living in New York while doing the MFA?

As soon as I've got my website up and running I'll post it in my profile.

Thanks in advance!!

Amanda B.

what would you refer to them as? - specifically SVA and Rutgers

I'd call them "competitive," particularly SVA. Just about ANY program in New York City is really competitive because of the vast numbers of people applying.

What do you see in UT San Antonio?

I see an up-and-coming school with a fairly fresh MFA program that not too many people know about, that's in the nation's 10th largest city with an interesting cultural backdrop. I also know of a superb recent graduate who's done very well (sculpture and combined media). Because it's newer and less known, the competition is easier for admissions and funding.

RE: New York Academy of Art

As I've posted elsewhere, their student work in this past year's CAA regional MFA show was the best of the lot. Seriously. (A million times better than Yale.) While figurative, it was also daring and innovative in many ways (I wish I could figure out how to post pictures here easily). But I really don't think they offer much at all in the way of financial aid. That's the problem with a lot of small private schools.

I think you are wise to spread it out and apply early! I wish I were as organized as you. How long was your statement of purpose for UCLA? I can't seem to find a word count requirement. I know most art statements are around 300-500 words, but since UCLA requires both a SOP and an art statement, I was wondering if they spell out the word counts and I am just missing where to look.

Ah, my people! So this is where the meltdowns occur. Brilliant! Already read through most of last years posts regarding the MFA process. Already wondering if I should apply to more schools after reading through that blood bath. yikes.

Applying to 8 schools. Also micro managing with so many schools and am hoping to have at least two apps done by Thanksgiving as the whole hoping I could use the same MFA statement for all is def not happening.

I am SO glad to see that I'm not the only one who is applying already...I sort of have the same theory of spreading out the fees and stuff over the course of the next few weeks. Now, if only I could get my bloody feedback from MICA's portfolio review and wrap that thing up. hahaha. Good luck everyone!

Lovelypainter- Don't worry, I get that feeling of somehow not applying to the right schools and I'm applying to twelve of them.

Studiohound-

My statement for UCLA was around 600-700 words total, but I did split it up for the two sections.

I got the online application process over for three out of 7 so far, would like to have all submitted by early December. It is a big slap to the bank account.

I spent the last 2.5 months reworking the letters of intent etc. Now its time to rent some studio lights and reshoot all my current work. blaaaah

i just need to get this whole thing over and done with so I can focus on making work. University of Washington is by far the most tedious application I have ever seen. They even want you to pack the application items in a specific order. Its awesome!

@Caus

I know right? I feel as if it is all SO subjective that it becomes like the lottery. Feeling better after at least requesting all my recs and sending for all transcripts. It is a bit overwhelming applying to so many schools. App fees are going to physical hurt, top ramen for the next month hurt. haha

Was chatting with a friend today (also painter) and we were debating whether schools put more weight on recommendations vs exhibits/gallery placements. Thoughts? My thought was that exhibits would hold more weight than recs as long as the recs weren't a nightmare.

I see an up-and-coming school with a fairly fresh MFA program that not too many people know about, that's in the nation's 10th largest city with an interesting cultural backdrop. I also know of a superb recent graduate who's done very well (sculpture and combined media). Because it's newer and less known, the competition is easier for admissions and funding.

I see. Well I am from San Antonio and it definitely has an interesting cultural backdrop. Are you familiar with the faculty there? I looked at UTSA in the past and the faculty is what drew me away from taking the school seriously. And I'm a painter...

I got the online application process over for three out of 7 so far, would like to have all submitted by early December. It is a big slap to the bank account.

I spent the last 2.5 months reworking the letters of intent etc. Now its time to rent some studio lights and reshoot all my current work. blaaaah

i just need to get this whole thing over and done with so I can focus on making work. University of Washington is by far the most tedious application I have ever seen. They even want you to pack the application items in a specific order. Its awesome!

Ugh, I hear ya. This is my second year applying to UW. It is so tedious, but hopefully this year will be worth it. I'm interested to see if my work has progressed over the past 12 months to an acceptable point. :) Fingers crossed! But if that doesn't work out...there's always the other 6 schools I'm applying to right?! haha.

Ugh, I hear ya. This is my second year applying to UW. It is so tedious, but hopefully this year will be worth it. I'm interested to see if my work has progressed over the past 12 months to an acceptable point. :) Fingers crossed! But if that doesn't work out...there's always the other 6 schools I'm applying to right?! haha.

Its my second time applying to U Dub as well, its been 2 years. I did get on the waiting list back then so I hope my hard work has paid off, right now it is my top choice, fingers crossed indeed. I was accepted to a program 2 years ago that was fully funded, but it ended up not being a good fit at all! Probably one of the hardest choices I have made so far in life. Looking forward to see what comes this time around. Good Luck!!

I feel like reccs and exhibits hold about the same weight, unless something is strong enough to stand out against what most people have. Maybe exhibits help more if a school likes to see more time spent out of undergrad?

Demain- I did look at csulb, I was a little unsure about their concentrations and how much interdisciplinary work they might allow. Any ideas on that? You can look at my site if you want, but I think it could be a fit

I'm applying to CSULB's program as part of my now 11 school long list. I'm a Cali girl and would love nothing more than to stay westcoast!

I'm applying next year but I also want to stay on the west coast. CSULB is a good value school. They tend to be more figurative vs abstract so if you're anything else than you may not get as much support or authentic direct advice. Studios are small. Faculty is good but like I said...they basically swing only two ways. Think Democrats vs Republicans. It's that divided.

I'm kind of feeling like one should go big or go home for the MFA. You don't need an MFA to show art and an MFA is not a teaching degree. It would seem only worthwhile getting if you got into a good school which also fit your aesthetic in art. That way your art would definitely improve and your degree would carry a legitimate amount of weight to it to help you get into the art world. But also take into account the debt. Academia and school is not 'the next next step after undergrad' but merely a structure you buy into. Each person should understand what an MFA and its debt means to them. Everyone should have a threshold as to how much debt they know they can realistically handle after grad school. There are some schools which ask you to pay 60k-100k and they seem to take anyone who applies. If you fit that category, I would honestly dissuade you from doing so.