MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

Does anyone know of schools (other than NYAA, to which I'm already applying) with a slightly more traditional, technical, preferably figurative approach?

Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Art PAFA

They have an amazing museum collection, enormous thesis shows, reputation and big name patrons/collectors/alumni

Going down tonight to use a critique room and finish photographing some pieces for my portfolio! Then I guess I'll be going crazy editing images.

Seems like the general idea is to start and end your portfolio with the strongest images?

How is everyone doing? Anyone freaking out yet? I feel like I'll be getting there before next month. This all has to be done over the holidays too, it's cruel.

Anyone go to open houses? Ucla? Nothing near enough for me to go.

Edited by caus

ok, I'm officially freaking out over my statement. I've rewritten them twice and all the people I've circulated them to have differing suggestions...sigh*

It's going to be a long road ahead and I have only half my work photographed since some of them need to be professionally done.

The first draft actually went through 3 mini drafts and now that I've circulated the 2nd draft it's getting even more confusing considering that people are suggesting different things to emphasize. Some want more narrative and less dry and matter of fact. Others believe it should be dry and focused and not so creative.

The first draft actually went through 3 mini drafts and now that I've circulated the 2nd draft it's getting even more confusing considering that people are suggesting different things to emphasize. Some want more narrative and less dry and matter of fact. Others believe it should be dry and focused and not so creative.

Dry and not creative? I don't know. Aren't the people reading these things creative people? The work is most important of course. I believe the statement is just so they get a sense of your intellectual development and creative process and that you are not a total moron. I think being memorable and creative is better than being dry and focused. I hope you are having it reviewed by an art historian. They tend to be the best writers in the art department.

I wrote that last post in a whirlwind of panic.

I actually wrote my statement gathering statements from other art historians that have gotten into phd programs. Luckily they were able to send me their statement of purposes to work off of. I sent the first draft over to an English professor who thought there wasn't enough narrative and too much "dry statement talk" and not enough material that shows and inspires the reader. However, another fellow artist who came out of the UCLA MFA Painting program thought the statement sounded good. I have no idea now and wish i had a bit more sense on how one should write these $#@# things.

The English professor is looking for WRITING that inspires the reader, however, you are a VISUAL artist who, hopefully, has paintings that will inspire the reader. I wouldn't worry so much about it. See if you can incorporate some of the ideas from the English professor without totally revamping it. If parts are a bit dry, perhaps you can work a bit on those paragraphs. But do remember that you are not applying to a writing MFA program.

If the UCLA MFA guy said it sounded good, then you are likely 90-95% there. I tried to make mine really memorable. But it is perhaps has too much narrative and not enough of a focus on the work. But too late as all apps are in. Personally, I believe that the portfolio is what really counts.

okay, so i'm thinking about applying for mfa painting/drawing. here is the list of questions i have.

- what is it like to study in grad school? is it similar to undergraudate school?

- is the application process same as undergraduate school?

- do courses i took in undergraduate school matter? I didn't know what i was doing in undergrad until my last two years i started understanding what i should take and what i should study.

-is gpa important?

-what do schools look for?

junho871, are you serious?

Didn't you talk to any grad students while an undergrad? No, grad school is not the same as undergrad. No, the application process is not the same at all. Of course the courses you took matter, but perhaps not as much as your portfolio. Your GPA isn't as important as the portfolio unless your gpa is really low.

What do schools look for? Students how know how to learn. Students who are at a professional level of producing art or close to it. Students with a kick ass portfolio. Students that know something about art history and contemporary art theory.

I'm not trying to be mean, but asking those questions tells me that you are not ready for graduate school. Perhaps you should consider taking a few years to work on your art before you apply. Perhaps a post-bac program would work well for you.

I don't know where to post this! I've been stalking these forums for about a year... Okay.

For all of you applying to UCLA, the deadline is this week for the Graduate application. Are you submitting your ****statement of purpose**** with the online application AND with the supplemental application? Please let me know asap how you are approaching this. This program I am applying to asks for the statement with the supplemental app. I have e-mailed the department's contact but have not gotten a response.

Design Media online apps are due this week however, for the fine arts division, they are due January 9th (both online and the supplemental materials).

@Mindfields88 - I just sent you an email about this, but you should insert your personal statement in the required area online and also send another copy as instructed with your portfolio.

I don't know where to post this! I've been stalking these forums for about a year... Okay.

For all of you applying to UCLA, the deadline is this week for the Graduate application. Are you submitting your ****statement of purpose**** with the online application AND with the supplemental application? Please let me know asap how you are approaching this. This program I am applying to asks for the statement with the supplemental app. I have e-mailed the department's contact but have not gotten a response.

Graduate application deadline is January 9th for UCLA. Don't stress.

Our deadline overall is January 15th, but the online application is December 15. I am still unsure about submitted my statement with the online application, as it seems redundant if the supplemental application asks for it to be sent there. Hm. I have a couple days to decide what to do.

junho871, are you serious?

Didn't you talk to any grad students while an undergrad? No, grad school is not the same as undergrad. No, the application process is not the same at all. Of course the courses you took matter, but perhaps not as much as your portfolio. Your GPA isn't as important as the portfolio unless your gpa is really low.

What do schools look for? Students how know how to learn. Students who are at a professional level of producing art or close to it. Students with a kick ass portfolio. Students that know something about art history and contemporary art theory.

I'm not trying to be mean, but asking those questions tells me that you are not ready for graduate school. Perhaps you should consider taking a few years to work on your art before you apply. Perhaps a post-bac program would work well for you.

I will think about that post-bac program. thanks for replying!

junho all the apps are due in a month, you don't have enough time to even consider applying at this point so save yourself the money and do some work and research over the next year.

yeah I think I will spend a year or so developing my portfolio and doing some research. thx !

How is everyone doing? Anyone freaking out yet? I feel like I'll be getting there before next month. This all has to be done over the holidays too, it's cruel.

Anyone go to open houses? Ucla? Nothing near enough for me to go.

I am freaking out a little! But I will sure be glad when it is all over and I will finally know if I get accepted somewhere! You're right, so cruel to do this during the Holiday season, lol.

I went to a few open houses here on the East Coast, but only to one from your list of schools: NYU. If you have any specific questions, let me know. One of my professors at Parsons is a faculty member in the NYU grad program so I have a little insight from him as well.

Does anyone have any insight about Tulane and UNO's MFA programs? Studio Art, specifically photography?? The internet is scant on info about either...

I have to be honest, I do not know much at all about either program. What I can say, and you probably already know this, is that both schools offer a full tuition waiver to some MFA students and a stipend if you are selected for an assistantship. New Orleans as a city could be a really interesting place to study, as well. I have been several times and it has a small, but very unique art community.

Hola people. I intend on applying for the fall 2012 semester and beginning to scramble to get things in order. I guess common practice is to make a list of schools, then convince people to write letters for me. I guess I have a working list going on and it includes the following schools: VCU, GSU, FSU, and LSU. I am a figurative painter and feel like these schools would suit me well. I know everybody loves doting over Yale for painting but I don't want to live in New Haven. Here is a link to my blog along with my statement. Please let me know what you ladies and gents think, especially regarding the statement. Nothing is too sacred, everything is in draft mode.

Thanks!

http://waynemarcelli.blogspot.com/

edit: a primo financial aid program will be the final selling point to my choosing a program. Pay me to go to school? Sounds good.

I did my BFA at FSU and the painters are incredible. Mark Messersmith and Lilian Garcia-Roig know how to teach and create a warm and individual community. Also, you can't beat FSU for financial aid, especially in the grad program. They try their best to give you a free ride. Tallahassee is nice, but it will not provide stimulation if that's what you're looking for. The art scene is small and insular (even with a friendly community) and it can be difficult to find things to do or inspiration. The MFA studios are pretty big, but they are not air conditioned (neither were the BFA studios but you get used to the hot and cold). Good luck! Also, I'm a figurative painter raised by this program ;)

Edited by RedHandedJill