MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

Sounds like (in another Topic) people are starting to hear back from UCSB art department since at least yesterday...I have not, which kind of bums me out because it is wonderfully interdisciplinary and has insane funding (free ride with about 24K/year to live off of)...

Is anyone else having a horrible time getting a hold of anyone to help at the University of Washington?

My letters of rec have not been recieved. Ugh. I know they were closed for a few days because of the snow but the dead line coming up.

@berto - I mailed everything out (in one packet) to U. Washington on Jan. 13th and their website is just now showing that they received everything as of "Jan. 24th" (today).

I applied for printmaking.

Not sure about the printmaking department but I'm pretty sure my roommate didn't find out until about March that he got in to painting. My printmaker friend said she got a call from Beauvais when she was accepted, but I can't remember when she said that was.

As for your materials, just be patient.

Also a heads up, if anyone applied to Yale's graphic design program they've gone through the preliminary selection phase, but no faculty has looked at the work yet.

what does the preliminary selection phase entail?

@losemygrip You said I had an "interesting" list. Just curious what you mean by that..is it a good interesting or an AHH! WHAT IS HE THINKING!? lol.

Interesting in that you didn't list all the "usual suspects" as do most people on these forums. You're the first I've seen to mention North Texas and Houston, for instance.

I think the discussion regarding school rankings that occurred subsequent to your original post above is useful. It goes back to my constant mantra of "apply to a range of schools." I think you did that pretty well, although you probably could have applied to one more place that was "more famous."

Interesting in that you didn't list all the "usual suspects" as do most people on these forums. You're the first I've seen to mention North Texas and Houston, for instance.

I think the discussion regarding school rankings that occurred subsequent to your original post above is useful. It goes back to my constant mantra of "apply to a range of schools." I think you did that pretty well, although you probably could have applied to one more place that was "more famous."

I'm also applying to UNT! Doesn't seem like many people are, not sure why...

Ah, cool, just making sure I didn't make some huge error. I was also gonna apply to UT Austin, but they required a portfolio of 20 works within the last two years, which I thought was a little ridiculous. Many (famous) artists only produce 2 or 3 works a year...

Ah, cool, just making sure I didn't make some huge error. I was also gonna apply to UT Austin, but they required a portfolio of 20 works within the last two years, which I thought was a little ridiculous. Many (famous) artists only produce 2 or 3 works a year...

??? - I would have just sent them your best pieces, regardless of when they were made...at least within reason (within 5 years). It was worth the shot as long as MOST of your pieces were new(er). I mean, if they like your work, they like your work, right? I'm willing to bet they wouldn't be so silly as to reject you outright simply because a piece was 3-5 years old (!)...

I'll post this here before I start a whole thread for it.

I'm just wondering if anyone applied to the University of Tennessee-Knoxville and checked their application status online?

Mine says "Incomplete items outstanding" under application status. Does anyone know if maybe it just hasn't been updated.

It says they are missing a transcript, but UTK specifically asked for scans of unofficial transcripts and I uploaded the one that they say is missing at the same time as the other two that I submitted?

Just wondering if anyone else has checked theirs and found things missing that were sent.

Are you referring to Applyweb? I applied to three schools on there including UTK, and after I completed the application, it says, "Sent, received, and confirmed!" Either way, if they are missing something, I'm sure you can call and ask. I have had to call them about three times about some stuff, and the woman I talk to at the art department is always really nice.

??? - I would have just sent them your best pieces, regardless of when they were made...at least within reason (within 5 years). It was worth the shot as long as MOST of your pieces were new(er). I mean, if they like your work, they like your work, right? I'm willing to bet they wouldn't be so silly as to reject you outright simply because a piece was 3-5 years old (!)...

I considered that, but ultimately decided against applying for some additional reasons. That was just one of the big ones. They also seem to have a reputation around here for being extremely selective, so I figured I didnt have a chance against the applicants that actually made that many works within the last 2 years. Perhaps that was a bad call. Either way, if I don't get in somewhere this round, I'll definitely apply there next year.

I considered that, but ultimately decided against applying for some additional reasons. That was just one of the big ones. They also seem to have a reputation around here for being extremely selective, so I figured I didnt have a chance against the applicants that actually made that many works within the last 2 years. Perhaps that was a bad call. Either way, if I don't get in somewhere this round, I'll definitely apply there next year.

Isn't it crazy to already be talking about next round? Not that I haven't been thinking about that too, but most of us haven't even heard back from anywhere yet! This waiting period is not constructive, it's making me think back on all of these things i could have done differently with my apps...

I have to admit that I'm pretty curious about your paintings or your process, especially if you think that 2 or 3 works a year is par. Everyone works at different paces, but that just seems grossly exaggerated and unrealistic.

I have to admit that I'm pretty curious about your paintings or your process, especially if you think that 2 or 3 works a year is par. Everyone works at different paces, but that just seems grossly exaggerated and unrealistic.

I'll post a link to my website when I finish it, but I actually make around 10 paintings/year at this point. The artists that only make 2 or 3 a year are generally the ones that make the gigantic epic/mural sized or ridiculously detailed paintings, but I don't include myself in that group. In general though, I think the measure of a good artist should have nothing to do with how many paintings are produced in a year, but instead the merit of the works themselves...but I realize that's just my opinion.

Understood, but, yes, I wouldn't sweat it if you apply again next round (though, I'll bet you get into one of your places this time!); send in your best work regardless...I'm currently at UCSD (a school that is at the same selectivity level as UT-A), and having talked to many a Grad student here over the last three years, there definitely seems to have been a wide approach as to what people submitted as samples to get in. The stated "requirements" seem to generally be a "wish list" of sorts as to what they'd like to see, but if you bend the rules a bit, and they like your work, it shouldn't be a problem.

Best of luck Josholas!

Edited by OutWest

Understood, but, yes, I wouldn't sweat it if you apply again next round (though, I'll bet you get into one of your places this time!); send in your best work regardless...I'm currently at UCSD (a school that is at the same selectivity level as UT-A), and having talked to many a Grad student here over the last three years, there definitely seems to have been a wide approach as to what people submitted as samples to get in. The stated "requirements" seem to generally be a "wish list" of sorts as to what they'd like to see, but if you bend the rules a bit, and they like your work, it shouldn't be a problem.

Best of luck Josholas!

Good to know! Thanks!

Well, I've had personal experience with ALL of those Texas schools. Believe me, you're better off at North Texas. Despite its high rankings in the various lists, the grad student work in UT shows that I saw was not as good as undergrad work at UNT. Could be different now, I suppose (but I kinda doubt it).

There's definitely something to be said for mammoth art schools such as UNT and ASU. So much can go on at once.

I hope I get in this round, I feel like I applied to a good range of schools so hopefully my work fits somewhere! Knowing I will have to move to another state makes me even more anxious, but still excited.

Almost February already, can't believe it. Fast forward to April?

I hope I get in this round, I feel like I applied to a good range of schools so hopefully my work fits somewhere! Knowing I will have to move to another state makes me even more anxious, but still excited.

Almost February already, can't believe it. Fast forward to April?

Lol, fast forward to August/September! :) Best of luck, caus

Heard back (somewhat) from a school, they just wanted me to finish up my rec providers so they could tell me their decision. Their deadline isn't for a bit but I guess they already reviewed my portfolio. They said they were very interested in my application and that I showed a lot potential and they enjoyed viewing my work. So fingers crossed! I know ppl will ask but I'd prefer not to say what school just yet.

good to hear back actual feedback from a school esp after UCSB rejection.