MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

Thanks losemygrip for the encouragement but a lot of it IS the luck of the draw in that these highly competitive programs are looking for criteria that fit a well rounded group of graduates that can contribute to each other's experience. So much of graduate school is having a diverse group contributing to the curriculum with the guidance of the faculty. Most of the graduates organize with the faculty the list of visiting lecturers so each person has to provide a unique and fresh perspective so that everything is balanced. Even having a solid application with outstanding work may not be the winning ticket.

I do think that waiting after undergrad is a really great experience for those that decide to do so. :-) It's certainly not easy to find that momentum or routine in "making money," finding time for studio work, continuing to be inspired and curious, in addition to keeping yourself informed on what is happening locally and globally in the arts. I have met many graduates from top schools who decide to not continue practicing because they weren't able to transition into the working world. Some of them ended up leaving the industry all-together and others are teaching but haven't continued making work. I almost feel like those that didn't have the luxury to end up with positions that have career potential but were scrubbing floors/wiping tables so-to-speak found much more urgency to figure out a way to create value in themselves through their practice. I think that kind of sacrifice and sense of urgency really builds a confidence in practice which is invaluable.

Also, know that this application process for grad school is really the beginning to many other apps if not the same as applying to residencies, and commissions. LOL After this comes numerous applications for grants, fellowships, public projects, you name it! It's funny, I was talking to another doctorate student and we laughed about how we thought that applying to grad school/her doctorate program would be the last of this painful process but no no no...the fun only begins after having graduated. Cheers to all of us on that same path!!!

paintcutter, I admire your attitude and everything you say makes a lot of sense. I also only applied to a few schools last year because I didn't want to compromise. And in the end, the thing that worked most against me, when I interviewed, was that I hadn't spent any time out of school, making work on my own. You are right about the taking time off aspect strengthening your practice, and schools will see that as an advantage.

I just wanted to give my point of view, because I know not everyone applying to a lot of schools feel like they are settling. During these past two years, I have come across a lot of people with very strong opinions about when you should get your MFA, but ultimately I feel that it is a very personal decision. Since there is no easy set career path for us to achieve our goals in art-making, and no one knows what our lives are going to be like, we each have to decide for ourselves. As for me this year, the different programs I applied to have specific things that make me want to go there.

Haha also, applying to a lot of schools doesn't make me feel like my chances of getting in somewhere are actually higher, as you said it absolutely is the luck of the draw...

happy sunday everyone

Edited by kazoo

You should look into Fee Waivers. I've gotten a couple schools to waive fees because I am a poor student :)

A friend told me it was super easy with his school, but I had a hard time finding schools to go to that did fee waivers. Most only did if you had family members who worked there. Couldn't apply outside Canada because my boyfriend wouldn't be able to get a work visa. Plus, not including fees, I had to pay an extra $45 per school for transcripts and shipping, which were kind of unexpected costs. Had to call in a belated Christmas present for some of the shipping fees.

Edited by forestine

I do think that waiting after undergrad is a really great experience for those that decide to do so. :-) It's certainly not easy to find that momentum or routine in "making money," finding time for studio work, continuing to be inspired and curious, in addition to keeping yourself informed on what is happening locally and globally in the arts. I have met many graduates from top schools who decide to not continue practicing because they weren't able to transition into the working world. Some of them ended up leaving the industry all-together and others are teaching but haven't continued making work. I almost feel like those that didn't have the luxury to end up with positions that have career potential but were scrubbing floors/wiping tables so-to-speak found much more urgency to figure out a way to create value in themselves through their practice. I think that kind of sacrifice and sense of urgency really builds a confidence in practice which is invaluable.

Also, know that this application process for grad school is really the beginning to many other apps if not the same as applying to residencies, and commissions. LOL After this comes numerous applications for grants, fellowships, public projects, you name it! It's funny, I was talking to another doctorate student and we laughed about how we thought that applying to grad school/her doctorate program would be the last of this painful process but no no no...the fun only begins after having graduated. Cheers to all of us on that same path!!!

Also, I totally agree with everything here. I think the best thing you can do before going to graduate school is figure out how to make money and make work - when you get to school you will be blown away by the amount of time you have for your work. You want to be the standard for studio practice in your class. If someone is in the studio more than you: figure out why and get in there more. I can't stress this enough. Obviously, taking a break is necessary for the brain and your practice, but there is no reason to not be making work on a daily basis. It could be one of the last opportunities you have to do so!

From my unique perspective at UTK, the one thing I have noticed is the amount of working studio time the older students put in over the straight to MFA undergrad types. I think the people who have been out there in the real world recognize the opportunity that grad school is and the younger kids have gotten used to academia, they start to think that this is how it's going to be from here on out!

So that's it: work work work and then work some more. You can get up an hour earlier and go to bed an hour later than you think. You can push your paintings another half-step before you go home. It's potentially the last time anyone is going to give a damn what you're doing without you having to track them down and drag them to your studio all the time!

Edited by sympatico

I just wanted to post to let everyone know that NYU Steinhardt appeared to be having problems with Slideroom yesterday, and the MFA program was not listed as an option all day. The deadline was extended to today, so if you still need to upload your portfolio to slideroom it is up now.

Good luck to everyone with your applications! It was a long and hard road for me, with many speed bumps, but I am now looking forward to hearing back what the results may be!

Any painters applying to USC Roski School of Fine arts for Fall 2012? Do we have a prayer?

I'm not a painter, but I attended their admissions "Open House" on Friday and, yes, there are a LOT of painters that apply (though a good mix of students were represented in the current student body and ranged from media to performance).

Also, it should be mentioned that there are 8 spots for 500+ applicants which puts it in the "ridiculously hard to get in" category. Though, that should not stop anyone if some of their excellent faculty interest you. It's a very fine program and has excellent funding (last year, 100% of tuition was covered and a $1000/month stipend was offered).

Best of luck to those that are applying!

So, I'm new here but I was just curious if anyone has any comments about the following schools (that I've applied to for Painting/Drawing). If I get accepted, its going to be REALLY difficult to decide between them.

They are University of Washington, University of New Mexico, University of Oregon, University of Houston, Tyler School of Art, and University of North Texas.

I realize that Tyler is the best ranked program, but it's my last choice in most other ways. Any thoughts or suggestions would be very helpful. Also, is anyone aware of which are the best in terms of leaving without much debt? Thanks!

@Kazoo. My Interview is in the 2nd wk of Feb. for U.Chicago. Pretty thrilled!

@Josholas I too would love to hear any insider bits about U. Oregon

So, I'm new here but I was just curious if anyone has any comments about the following schools (that I've applied to for Painting/Drawing). If I get accepted, its going to be REALLY difficult to decide between them.

They are University of Washington, University of New Mexico, University of Oregon, University of Houston, Tyler School of Art, and University of North Texas.

I realize that Tyler is the best ranked program, but it's my last choice in most other ways. Any thoughts or suggestions would be very helpful. Also, is anyone aware of which are the best in terms of leaving without much debt? Thanks!

Edited by TheSweetestPainter

On 1/17/2012 at 7:20 PM, Josholas said:

Those are a pretty vast range. I considered University of Washington but a professor of mine whose very involved in knowing what goes on at these mfa programs urged me not to. He said their art scene in Seattle is pretty horrific, i think there is an article out there about how lacking it is and how its due to University of Washington. Also heard their professors are absent, competitive, and don't much care (Just rumors i heard and not from my faculty so take that with a grain of salt). He did say he sent a few of his post-baccs there previously and stated that the program didn't push their work and as a result their progress did a major back slide.

Idk much about University of Oregon and University of Houston.

UNT and Tyler are also on my list. I prefer the professors work at Tyler and love their abroad program in Rome, but UNT is by all means more affordable. Depends on why you want an MFA. The faculty here urged me to look past cost and look more to quality as its a terminal degree and where you get your real foundation as an artist. THAT SAID, I am not looking to go to a school at 50k a year and wouldnt consider it. I'm realistic, and know the jobs are sparse in the field and won't go hundreds of K in debt for it, I still think there are top notch schools that fund, even Tyler can fund up to half or more I read--and their fees arent unreasonable and Philly is much more affordable than NYC and Boston.

If Tyler is your last choice and alternately the most competitive, why even apply?

On 1/17/2012 at 10:18 PM, brown06 said:

Those are a pretty vast range. I considered University of Washington but a professor of mine whose very involved in knowing what goes on at these mfa programs urged me not to. He said their art scene in Seattle is pretty horrific, i think there is an article out there about how lacking it is and how its due to University of Washington. Also heard their professors are absent, competitive, and don't much care (Just rumors i heard and not from my faculty so take that with a grain of salt). He did say he sent a few of his post-baccs there previously and stated that the program didn't push their work and as a result their progress did a major back slide.

Idk much about University of Oregon and University of Houston.

UNT and Tyler are also on my list. I prefer the professors work at Tyler and love their abroad program in Rome, but UNT is by all means more affordable. Depends on why you want an MFA. The faculty here urged me to look past cost and look more to quality as its a terminal degree and where you get your real foundation as an artist. THAT SAID, I am not looking to go to a school at 50k a year and wouldnt consider it. I'm realistic, and know the jobs are sparse in the field and won't go hundreds of K in debt for it, I still think there are top notch schools that fund, even Tyler can fund up to half or more I read--and their fees arent unreasonable and Philly is much more affordable than NYC and Boston.

If Tyler is your last choice and alternately the most competitive, why even apply?

Tyler is really only my last choice (in my list of six) because of location on the east coast. I keep it in my list because it seems like the program is phenomenal. But I'm married and have a 9-month old, so we would really rather move somewhere closer to our family (none of which are anywhere near Philly). If it weren't for that, Tyler would be #1.

I visited U New Mexico, but was underwhelmed by their facility, which felt closer to a prison than a place of education. I'm sure the painting professors make up for it, but I didn't get to meet any of them since it was a weekend. ?

cool that makes sense. Have any family in Lubbock area? Texas tech has a pretty nice program, I personally love Tina Fuentes' work and they offer good aid, are cheap to begin with, lubbock =affordable, and they have a summer retreat campus for art students.

I lived in Seattle for a bit and being inspired by architecture and interior design and food. I feel Seattle has a great "scene" going on. There are lots of gallleries and SAM "seattle art museum" just finished crazy renovations a few years ago. Also built a huge sculpture garden along the water front. COCA is a cool contemporary spot. Western Bridge is also amazing.

As for professors...I am staff at a art school on the east coast and I would have to say all professors are a bit absent....is U W responsible for an art scene? doubtful. Henry art gallery has had some great shows.

The city is exspensive, and has deep roots in the design and craft elements. Contemporary art is on the up and up.

Edited by berto

Applying to the schools listed below. This is my 3rd round - 1st time got an interview w CalArts but def wasn't ready, 2nd time was wait listed at my top 2 choices and was in the top student picks to no avail, and now I'm hoping the 3rd time shall indeed be a charm. Applying to grad school, especially schools with small programs, sucks ballz and can really kick your emotional/financial ass, but yknow, rejection helps build character, which all goes into making better work, right? Ha.

cool that makes sense. Have any family in Lubbock area? Texas tech has a pretty nice program, I personally love Tina Fuentes' work and they offer good aid, are cheap to begin with, lubbock =affordable, and they have a summer retreat campus for art students.

I considered Texas Tech, but the ranking seemed pretty low and I need to be sure I have a shot at a post-secondary teaching job after getting my MFA. Do you think they are reputable enough?

@berto - thanks for the Seattle info. That gives me some hope. We'll see what happens, but if I get accepted, I'm thinking flying up there to check it out first will be a must.

I considered Texas Tech, but the ranking seemed pretty low and I need to be sure I have a shot at a post-secondary teaching job after getting my MFA. Do you think they are reputable enough?

@berto - thanks for the Seattle info. That gives me some hope. We'll see what happens, but if I get accepted, I'm thinking flying up there to check it out first will be a must.

Yeah....according to one of my professors here, it isnt at all reputable enough and he was pretty peeved that I submitted my app there. That said his standards are a bit high. Hard to tell from the little I know

you bet.

I hear ya about checking things out for sure. I never thought i would see myself in the midwest but the program at Herron sounds really good, they have an emphasis on public work. But I will have see how Indianapolis and I get along if I get accepted, not to mention draging my family along for the ride (7month old baby) I would hate to move some place where my lady wouldn't be happy. This all feels a bit selfish in a way....

An interesting list. I would actually say that UW is probably the most competitive there (because they admit far fewer students than Tyler), and UNM the least competitive. All are good schools--it kind of depends on what kind of work you do. There's a pretty big faculty at UNT and they're well tied into the national scene, more so than Houston or UNM (although Houston is pretty decent in that respect as well). Houston also has an outstanding art scene.

If you're wanting a college teaching job, you'll want to go somewhere where you can get plenty of teaching experience. I know that happens at most of these schools, so that's good.

Texas Tech is a good fallback school. It doesn't have the reputation of many others, but it's perfectly decent and much less competitive.

Yeah, in my experience last year, having recs or transcripts that are a little late isn't a huge deal. Most schools are understanding that sometimes it's just out of our control!

It seemed I had more than enough recommenders, however waiting forever on my most reputable recommender and he didnt' come through. (apparently he is out of the country) So, University of Michigan I am missing one and the application is closed since Jan. 1st. I guess I should e-mail the department and see if they can recieve it by mail, or e-mail?