MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

Any time between now and April :) So, you might want to contact the departments to which you applied and give them alternate contact info (parents, friends), or allow alternate people to check your email and answer your phone, before you leave. Otherwise, you'll get left behind if the schools don't hear from you.

thanks will do!

I definitely know the type too, sounds like an old professor of mine.

I checked out your website and I was very impressed! your abstractions are so dynamic. congrats on (somewhat) hearing back from a school, I hope that works out!

Thanks Kazoo! Good luck on your end as well.

Outwest I agree with you, I was looking at the recipients of the Joan Mitchell Foundation award and most were not from top ranked schools. In the end what matters is the work and your own personal drive. Like Michael Webster said, some schools probably do by virtue of who they attract to teach and be taught have more to offer but going to BFE isn't saying "Im not a serious artist and I have no ambition" it just means your path will be probably more self-guided. I still think each one on my list has unique qualities that would help me grow as an artist regardless of their rankings.

Hi, all.

This is my first post but I've been glued to this forum ever since a friend of mine told me about it. I have a question for you. One of the programs I applied to will likely send out notifications in mid- or late February, but another of my schools' applications is not due until February 15. If I am given an offer from the first school, how can I wait it out (to hear from the rest of my schools) without insulting the first school? I know they like to get responses from students quickly, but I don't want to mess up my chances at other schools by biting the first lure casted my way.

What would you guys do?

Good luck to all! I'm so glad this forum exists. It's so respectful and so helpful.

Hi and welcome! I'm in the same boat and I think the only the only thing to do is play it by ear if that does happen. The school that notifies you early might have a long interview process, and the late deadline might be quicker to get back to applicants. I know this type of situation has happened, and i know of one student who was able to ask for a few weeks extension, but I don't know how frequent that is. It really just depends on the schools!

Good luck, sculptor! Let us know how it all works out

Hi and welcome! I'm in the same boat and I think the only the only thing to do is play it by ear if that does happen. The school that notifies you early might have a long interview process, and the late deadline might be quicker to get back to applicants. I know this type of situation has happened, and i know of one student who was able to ask for a few weeks extension, but I don't know how frequent that is. It really just depends on the schools!

Good luck, sculptor! Let us know how it all works out

Thanks, and I'll post updates! I can't wait to hear how things turn out for everyone.

@ kazoo and berto!

Noooooooo. lol! Why do I keep hearing this scenario! A friend of mine had the same thing happen to her. There was one Grad student who was just a total twat and would just not stop giving her the worst of times-rude just to be rude. Trying to compile interview tips and prepare. I might loose it after spending money to fly all the way to my interview have a similar scenarios. Sigh, bring it!

And the waiting game begins!!!

Yep--after looking at last year's "freakout" forum (and therefore knowing that interview offers start coming in around now), I anticipate a steady increase in anxiety over the next few weeks.

Yep--after looking at last year's "freakout" forum (and therefore knowing that interview offers start coming in around now), I anticipate a steady increase in anxiety over the next few weeks.

Oh man yeah, I spent way too much time checking out the 2011 forum, and with february fast approaching, my anxiety levels are already pretty high!

haha i know. well, actually i do sleep usually (i'm in a different time zone though). however i'm pretty consumed with the whole waiting process and this website is my only outlet as i don't know anyone else applying around me!

Oh man yeah, I spent way too much time checking out the 2011 forum, and with february fast approaching, my anxiety levels are already pretty high!

Haha, I am glad I am not the only one spending al of my free time going through pages and pages of last years forum messages. I thought the application process was bad, the waiting for results part has been worse!

Ah, cool, just making sure I didn't make some huge error. I was also gonna apply to UT Austin, but they required a portfolio of 20 works within the last two years, which I thought was a little ridiculous. Many (famous) artists only produce 2 or 3 works a year...

Not an expert, but I imagine the idea is the TIME you dedicate to art, not the number of final pieces - if you create 2 or 3 large and/or extremely detailed pieces a year, what's wrong with sending 6 paintings with 14 close-ups/details? It's easy enough for evaluators and other artists to tell the works that are so labor intense that they are created over years, not months.

Although at the "pre-grad" level of someone's career, I would imagine you don't grow very quickly only creating a few pieces a year. (Not that I am by any means a shining example of cranking out new work...)

I know the Grad application are piled up on your desk, yes you recieved 1,000 phone calls like mine, but did I not spend $75 dollars to receive some sort of assistance when needed.

My letters of rec are missing, deadline is wed. the assistant cant tell me what ones are missing, the application program online is as old as the internet so it does'nt show me who has submitted. All three could be missing for all I know. and yes they need to be recieved by the 1st to be reviewed. WHAT A BUNCH OF BULL$***!!

Hello all!

I been lurking on here for awhile, and I really enjoy this year's freak out so far! I have applied to 8 schools for painting and thinking I should've applied to a couple more. I've never check my email this much in the past month. And it looks like about another month to go. D:

I know the Grad application are piled up on your desk, yes you recieved 1,000 phone calls like mine, but did I not spend $75 dollars to receive some sort of assistance when needed.

My letters of rec are missing, deadline is wed. the assistant cant tell me what ones are missing, the application program online is as old as the internet so it does'nt show me who has submitted. All three could be missing for all I know. and yes they need to be recieved by the 1st to be reviewed. WHAT A BUNCH OF BULL$***!!

Oh thats TERRIBLE! hope it works out! they have to be a little understanding if they can't even help you figure out which ones were missing! hopefully they are just getting in last minute.

Hello all!

I been lurking on here for awhile, and I really enjoy this year's freak out so far! I have applied to 8 schools for painting and thinking I should've applied to a couple more. I've never check my email this much in the past month. And it looks like about another month to go. D:

hi! welcome. haha i've never checked my email this much either. depending on the schools, you could start hearing sooner than that! what schools did you apply to? You don't have to tell, of course, i'm just curious.

Edited by kazoo

I knooooow right!?! Checking this forum is seriously my new addiction....!!

@berto: "...the application program online is as old as the internet..." Lololol...right? Hang in there buddy. It's amazing how all this crapola comes together at the right moment and gets done. Just like in the work world!

@all of the Grad schools we've all applied to: Let's roll. We love you lots, but we can't stand not knowing what we are going to be doing or where we are going to be for the next two+ years :)

Edited by OutWest

I knooooow right!?! Checking this forum is seriously my new addiction....!!

YES same! I've only applied to VCU, but my daily routine now consists of checking my application status online and then this forum for any updates... like, five or six times a day!

Eek! I see last year someone interviewed for Guelph on the 6th! Haven't heard anything yet... Too much time on my hands, too.

I've checked that kind of info for all my schools! you'd think I didn't have a full time job and night time classes from all the time I spend on this forum!

I've checked that kind of info for all my schools! you'd think I didn't have a full time job and night time classes from all the time I spend on this forum!

I kind of wish I hadn't seen that, now I'm even more nervous. Gah.

@berto: "...the application program online is as old as the internet..." Lololol...right? Hang in there buddy. It's amazing how all this crapola comes together at the right moment and gets done. Just like in the work world!

@all of the Grad schools we've all applied to: Let's roll. We love you lots, but we can't stand not knowing what we are going to be doing or where we are going to be for the next two+ years :)

:)

Hi, all.

This is my first post but I've been glued to this forum ever since a friend of mine told me about it. I have a question for you. One of the programs I applied to will likely send out notifications in mid- or late February, but another of my schools' applications is not due until February 15. If I am given an offer from the first school, how can I wait it out (to hear from the rest of my schools) without insulting the first school? I know they like to get responses from students quickly, but I don't want to mess up my chances at other schools by biting the first lure casted my way.

What would you guys do?

Good luck to all! I'm so glad this forum exists. It's so respectful and so helpful.

April 15 is the typical deadline for acceptance set by the Council of Graduate Schools. Some schools don't follow that date, the list is available as a PDF here http://www.cgsnet.org/?tabid=201. If they are on that list, then they shouldn't be asking you to commit before April 15th. And schools know your applying to many, its not impolite or insulting to ask to wait. They expect it.

Edited by michaelwebster