MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

Just discovered Tyler & UNT don't have my transcripts and are reviewing within the next week or so. They won't accept a fax of the transcripts and I thought I didn't have any more extras left over to send them, so I cried.

Luckily, I found some extra transcripts I had ordered for emergencies! YAY

This process is so emotionally draining.

That sounds so stressful !! What a nightmare, glad you had those extra transcripts

link?

i don't know how accurate this is but a user in another thread (who isn't applying to MFA programs) said his friend already got an acceptance from NYU's MFA (steinhardt). Has anyone heard anything from them?

I would hold out until you get some specific information from or about the MFA program. My guess would be that other departments have different timeframes for acceptances.

I'm so happy yall are here. It makes this whole thing easier.

Does anyone know when Columbia makes decisions? I applied for painting but interested in any info.

Last year, I believe Columbia sent out interview requests at around Feb 26th or so. But rejection letters were not sent out until March. hope that helps.

Last year someone got a call February 25 for an interview...

Last year, I believe Columbia sent out interview requests at around Feb 26th or so. But rejection letters were not sent out until March. hope that helps.

THANKS, Guys. It helps. :)

Just discovered Tyler & UNT don't have my transcripts and are reviewing within the next week or so. They won't accept a fax of the transcripts and I thought I didn't have any more extras left over to send them, so I cried.

Luckily, I found some extra transcripts I had ordered for emergencies! YAY

This process is so emotionally draining.

I'm right there with you. I had to overnight extra copies of my transcript to three programs yesterday. This is ridiculous. I wish grad schools could receive transcripts from our previous universities electronically. I would pay more money to do that then to have them printed, sealed, mailed, and lost by either the increasingly under-funded USPS or the overwhelmed graduate admissions offices. AAAK!

Thanks kazoo! If any more programs suddenly don't have my transcripts, too bad. I don't have any more extras!

I wish grad schools could receive transcripts from our previous universities electronically. I would pay more money to do that then to have them printed, sealed, mailed, and lost by either the increasingly under-funded USPS or the overwhelmed graduate admissions offices. AAAK!

EXACTLY! Some will let you upload unofficial transcripts but then if you get admitted you have to send in the official ones before they'll send you an official letter of admission. So that's obnoxious. Why can't we just have the university fax them over, at the very least?

i don't know how accurate this is but a user in another thread (who isn't applying to MFA programs) said his friend already got an acceptance from NYU's MFA (steinhardt). Has anyone heard anything from them?

I have yet to hear from Steinhardt, or any other school I applied to.

Hello,

Does anyone know anything about skype interviews vs. coming to the school?

I got two interview invitations so far, from Yale and MICA [yay].

Both schools have an option for skype interviews, but I wonder - how much am I ruining my chances to get accepted, if I use my right to save an 11 hour flight [and 1,000$] by choosing the skype option.

I anyone has an idea about this, I'll be glad to know.

Thanks!

Song, I've done the Yale interview in person last year. About 40 minutes to an hour was spent talking to the faculty/critics and going through my work... then 40 minutes was spent with two graduate students (first year and second) who also spoke to me about my work and gave me a tour of the facilities and studio area. I can say that all of these are beneficial to see in-person, but I understand the financial concerns. I'm not sure how much their decisions are weighted by having you there, but I would imagine if you sent your work by post for them to go through and did a Skype interview -- that would seem close enough to actually going. Again, just my opinion...

Hello,

Does anyone know anything about skype interviews vs. coming to the school?

I got two interview invitations so far, from Yale and MICA [yay].

Both schools have an option for skype interviews, but I wonder - how much am I ruining my chances to get accepted, if I use my right to save an 11 hour flight [and 1,000$] by choosing the skype option.

I anyone has an idea about this, I'll be glad to know.

Thanks!

I have no numbers to back it up, but I would think that interviewing in person would be preferable. Shows that you're serious about the program and allows for a more dynamic interview. Also avoids any technical problems (I don't know about you, but skype ALWAYS lags for me after about 20min of talking...) You also get to see tha facilities.

I would also consider whether you feel that your portfolio needs/could benefit from additional in-person explanation. Considering that you're applying for Graphic Design, it might not need any more context (compared with a portofilo in say, Sculpture/New Media etc.).

Plus, it's a helluva lot harder to turn somebody away when you've spent time with them, had lunch with them, gotten to know them as a person and an artist.

That being said, it is a huge amount of money AND time, and there's not guarantee that appearing in person will get you in.

Don't know if that helped... still doesn't fully address the question.

Does anybody have any stats that might address this question?

Edited by liam.zev

Hi Eschaton, thanks for the reply!

It looks like I'll be coming to the Yale interview.

From what I read in their letter to me, it seems that the interview there really emphasizes on things you bring with you [including work in progress]. I Also like the idea of being interviewed by students. So, maybe I'll see you there!

Thanks.

i think there is an advantage to to be there in person, just because you can be personable etc and get a feel for the facilities and the "feel" of the school, but they certainly won't knock you for having something like distance/cost cause you to choose the skype option.

Of course this is my first year applying to graduate programs so I can't speak from personal experience, but my mom is on a board for a masters program at Stanford, and she has done several skype interviews for the exact same reasons you stated.

Haven't heard anything myself.

I have no numbers to back it up, but I would think that interviewing in person would be preferable. Shows that you're serious about the program and allows for a more dynamic interview. Also avoids any technical problems (I don't know about you, but skype ALWAYS lags for me after about 20min of talking...) You also get to see tha facilities.

I would also consider whether you feel that your portfolio needs/could benefit from additional in-person explanation. Considering that you're applying for Graphic Design, it might not need any more context (compared with a portofilo in say, Sculpture/New Media etc.).

Plus, it's a helluva lot harder to turn somebody away when you've spent time with them, had lunch with them, gotten to know them as a person and an artist.

That being said, it is a huge amount of money AND time, and there's not guarantee that appearing in person will get you in.

Don't know if that helped... still doesn't fully address the question.

Does anybody have any stats that might address this question?

Liam...When did you hear from Ohio State?

I know some people have been rejected from UCSB, but has anyone out there been accepted? I haven't heard anything from them yet and don't know if that is a good or bad thing.

Yes, there have been a couple that were accepted (including persons posting to this particular forum)...I'm also with you in the group that has been neither accepted nor rejected...yet. A likely scenario for this fact is that we didn't make the first cut, but we are in some sort of second round. Best of luck to both of us!

Edited by OutWest

Steinhardt interviews before accepting. I'm pretty sure those notifications come a little later. Also, NYU has a number of MFA programs, so maybe some info was mixed up.

For the 5 other UCR applicants out there, you can check out your acceptance/rejection letter if you login to your application. I'm guessing they already called the winners, and if it's still processing you've been wait listed.

I Just replaced a recommender last night, and e-mailed Michigan to ask if missing a letter would affect my application. I came home from work with an e-mail saying my recomender submitted his letter, then a second from UM saying it did not affect my application. The e-mail said unfortunately I woud not be offered admission, and I will be recieving a letter soon. :( There goes my no.1.