MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

Hello,

Does anyone know anything about skype interviews vs. coming to the school?

I got two interview invitations so far, from Yale and MICA [yay].

Both schools have an option for skype interviews, but I wonder - how much am I ruining my chances to get accepted, if I use my right to save an 11 hour flight [and 1,000$] by choosing the skype option.

I anyone has an idea about this, I'll be glad to know.

Thanks!

The last two years for SAIC sculpture have been 1 or 2 people accepted from skype interviews, usually international, out of 10 new students. About 15 people skype interview out of 40 total. So at least at SAIC you chances are really diminished if you don't do it in person.

The last two years for SAIC sculpture have been 1 or 2 people accepted from skype interviews, usually international, out of 10 new students. About 15 people skype interview out of 40 total. So at least at SAIC you chances are really diminished if you don't do it in person.

do you know when we might be hearing from the sculpture dept? Do they help with any travel expenses?

Edited by R. Mutt

cady do you mean ucsb or ucla? I havent heard from ucla ( I WISH). I joke every day that UCLA is spamming my phone and begging me to come...the phone is eerily silent...

I heard from ucsb a couple weeks ago, informal rejection from a professor, no letter or anything, I dont think theyve sent out the formal rejections yet.

Congratulations!!

Thanks so much Kazoo! It isn't necessarily my first choice (Slade would be a dream!), but I am excited nonetheless. After the Yale rejection I was worried that I would just get one rejection after another. haha.

Congrats! Me too! I really enjoyed your illustrations on your website btw.

Thanks a lot Gahh! Have you scheduled yours yet? Are you doing skype or phone (or in person)? Has anybody got an idea of what these skype/phone interviews are like?

Thanks so much Kazoo! It isn't necessarily my first choice (Slade would be a dream!), but I am excited nonetheless. After the Yale rejection I was worried that I would just get one rejection after another. haha.

Thanks a lot Gahh! Have you scheduled yours yet? Are you doing skype or phone (or in person)? Has anybody got an idea of what these skype/phone interviews are like?

You're welcome...no not yet, I am going to schedule sometime today. Everyone is telling me that it would be more impressionable to Skype, so I'll just do that...what do you think?

You're welcome...no not yet, I am going to schedule sometime today. Everyone is telling me that it would be more impressionable to Skype, so I'll just do that...what do you think?

Yeah I thought about the same. I figured I would ask them which they would prefer, but I am assuming skype would be the way to go.

I work at a summer camp and they hire me in January to do all the interviews. I love to Skype with the interviewes as much as possible. Not only do I get a better sense of who they are, I remember them so much better! A few Skype tips: dogs sometimes think there is a friend in the house who is not playing with them and start to bark so put a dog some place away from you Skyping, make sure the room you are in is picked up and not busy (I've seen 30 unmade beds this season alone), super personal stuff and pictures always seem weird to me when I don't know the person, and last, try it out with someone to make sure you are not to dark or the angle is right up your nose. If you need someone to try it out with, I'd be happy to run a trial Skype with anyone.

I see, thanks! Do you think they have a certain number of internationals they want in the program? I'm not exactly an international - I'm an American citizen living abroad and my undergrad is from Israel.

Edited by Song

i think there is an advantage to to be there in person, just because you can be personable etc and get a feel for the facilities and the "feel" of the school, but they certainly won't knock you for having something like distance/cost cause you to choose the skype option.

Of course this is my first year applying to graduate programs so I can't speak from personal experience, but my mom is on a board for a masters program at Stanford, and she has done several skype interviews for the exact same reasons you stated.

Thanks for the reply, and good luck!

I see, thanks! Do you think they have a certain number of internationals they want in the program? I'm not exactly an international - I'm an American citizen living abroad and my undergrad is from Israel.

The more international experience the better. Most everyone values varied and cross-cultural experiences in academia.

Hello everyone, I've got a quick question and

Your opinions would be appreciated.

I've been lucky enough to get an interview at Yale, but I like in the UK. I've been thinking if it's worth the cost of the flight to come down for the interview. I'm guessing it would show them I really want to go. Appreciate your thoughts!

I've been lucky enough to get an interview at Yale, but I like in the UK. I've been thinking if it's worth the cost of the flight to come down for the interview. I'm guessing it would show them I really want to go. Appreciate your thoughts!

Flights from London to NYC (then, train to New Haven) are fairly reasonable this time if year. If I were planning on uprooting myself to another country, I'd try and get out at least once...are you applying to any other US schools? You could spend a week checking them out.

Best of luck!

Hi and welcome! If you read back, you will see that Song asked the same kind of thing, and general opinion was that in person was worth it if you are serious about the school and can afford it.

Hi and welcome! If you read back, you will see that Song asked the same kind of thing, and general opinion was that in person was worth it if you are serious about the school and can afford it.

Hi Kazoo, thanks for the advice. I

Flights from London to NYC (then, train to New Haven) are fairly reasonable this time if year. If I were planning on uprooting myself to another country, I'd try and get out at least once...are you applying to any other US schools? You could spend a week checking them out.

Best of luck!

Thanks for your advice! Sorry, didn't see Song's post! :)

Hello everyone! Today I received an email from UPenn containing the news that I’m one of the finalists for the MFA program and they want to have a 10 minutes interview with me (via phone or Skype).

Does anyone guess how the questions will be? 10 minutes is really little for a profound approach..

Hello everyone! Today I received an email from UPenn containing the news that I’m one of the finalists for the MFA program and they want to have a 10 minutes interview with me (via phone or Skype).

Does anyone guess how the questions will be? 10 minutes is really little for a profound approach..

I got the same email from UPenn this morning. 10 minutes seems incredibly short for an interview. Anyone else have experience with their interview/admissions process?