MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

This is awful!

I haven't gotten a single interview request yet but I did get two rejections already.

This is my third time applying to grad school.

At what point do you just let it go and move on with your life?

Dealing with this too. Upon recieving the official letter from Michigan yesterday, my mother tells me, "maybe you don't have a choice but to go to school in TX", and then my boyfriend asks, "If you get your degree in Texas, will you not still be able to get a job?". Thank you supportive family that understands nothing about the art world, or the factors that went into my choice to seek an MFA outside of my region. Besides, I've been to shows at UT and U of Houston, and I am not interested. I probably wouldn't get accepted their either due to the type of program their trying to run.

So I suppose, I would give myself a very strict goal of creating an entire new body of work with which to apply next year, as this is my first round.

My professor told me the estimated odds of BFA grads continuing on to an MFA is like 1 out of 10, then MFA grads who get a job in their field and continue making art is 1 out of 10 also.

I don't know if that's true, but I've definitely gotten that reality check after my first rejection. It's harder than I thought it would be, but I'm learning alot in the process.

sorry, did we decide that if someone else here has received an e-mail about going for an interview, but I haven't, that it's a no? It seems like those e-mails would all go out the same day.

it depends on the program.in some cases you know you are out. in some cases, they just interview people that they had questions to ask to and they might still accept you. generally though, it's not a good sign.

Did anyone apply to Moore College of Art and Design? I've heard that it has a good reputation, but it doesn't show up in rankings. I wonder if it being an all girl school (except MFA) has something to do with it. Does anyone know anyone there?

This is awful!

I haven't gotten a single interview request yet but I did get two rejections already.

This is my third time applying to grad school.

At what point do you just let it go and move on with your life?

hang in there.... There are way more in "this club" (the ones not being considered) than people getting interviews and offers... So at the end of the day, be true to your work as an artist (if you really believe it's your calling) and keep your head and your hopes up.

I'm starting to worry too, and making small conversation with one of my professors recently, he reiterated: "You should be getting several good offers!"... That's comforting, specially since he is the top faculty at the undergrad where I finished my BA... I can only hope he is right!

hang in there.... There are way more in "this club" (the ones not being considered) than people getting interviews and offers... So at the end of the day, be true to your work as an artist (if you really believe it's your calling) and keep your head and your hopes up.

I'm starting to worry too, and making small conversation with one of my professors recently, he reiterated: "You should be getting several good offers!"... That's comforting, specially since he is the top faculty at the undergrad where I finished my BA... I can only hope he is right!

Same here. One professor told me (on more than one occasion), "I think you're going to have your pick." I'm starting to seriously doubt that. No interviews or calls yet seems like a bad sign to me. I really, really hope he's right.

But, even though I hate being in limbo right now, I am SO happy for all of you who have been contacted about interviews, etc. Congrats!

I just got an interview at SAIC!!!!!!!

Um and for those worried about the process, you just have to wait it out. Getting a rejection from Yale was a huge blow to my confidence, but a school could really like your work, but think that the program is not right for you.

So, everyone hang in there!

I just got an interview at SAIC!!!!!!!

Um and for those worried about the process, you just have to wait it out. Getting a rejection from Yale was a huge blow to my confidence, but a school could really like your work, but think that the program is not right for you.

So, everyone hang in there!

Congratulations!

and that's a good mindset to have, it's just hard to be confident that the right school will want you during the waiting process

EDIT: Okay, funny story. I realized now, at 4am, that I hadn't checked the mail today. So I went out, and sure enough, there's a massive envelope from MICA!! So I'm actually almost crying in the dark by my mailbox. Run inside, tear it open, shaking... it's A BUNCH OF PAMPHLETS. About their exciting new programs. *screams* What??? Why would... whaaat???? Is this some kind of joke, to send us your pamphlets at this precise moment in our anticipation process? If so, okay, it's a little funny. But that moment when I read "Dear [my name]," and down a line to: "generic stuff about programs you didn't apply to, I'm the new Vice Provost, MICA's pretty cool. Okay bye!"

Man... that was a serious emotional bait-and-switch. MICA, I already want to go to you! You do not need to convince me, just please tell me whether or not I can.

I know how you feel- I got the same large envelope from MICA yesterday! I was pretty sure that they conduct interviews first and I tried to be nonchalant, but my heart was fluttering until I skimmed over the letter (dated in October??). Ah well, I'm sure we'll start to hear back soon...

How did you hear? email? call? snail mail?

It was via email...but, I am applying to the "sister" art program in Design | Media Arts (more computer-y new genres-ish), so the "traditional" MFA might do it later/differently.

Best of luck!

I got accepted into University of Illinois' MFA Photo program! FULL RIDE AND NOMINATED FOR A FELLOWSHIP. Started crying when they told me. Well, I still am.

Good luck to everyone well else and great job to all those with interviews and offers!

That is awesome! Congratulations.

I got accepted into University of Illinois' MFA Photo program! FULL RIDE AND NOMINATED FOR A FELLOWSHIP. Started crying when they told me. Well, I still am.

Good luck to everyone well else and great job to all those with interviews and offers!

Full ride and Fellowship! Very very niiiiice :) Congrats!

And, congrats to all the others as well

This is awesome, congratulations! This is should serve as hope for all of us that it ain't over til it's over!

I heard back from SAIC too!! But for the writing MFA....which integrates art as well. Their interview process seems extremely laid back in comparison to SFAI btw...although very excited I am officially somewhat frightened as well. Congrats to everyone's acceptances and interview invites!!!

Trying to just stroll along with this waiting game : /

Is everyone who receiving the letter of interviews living in US?

I haven't heard from them yet, I don't know if it is because I live

in Canada and it will take a few more days to receive the letter or not.

Did they send the notice by letter, email or phone call?

Congrats to everyone on their acceptances! So exciting to hear all of this news. I was curious if any applied to MCAD (Minneapolis College of Art + Design) by chance? Or if anyone knows when one is to hear back from them. Also has anyone here gone for an interview at MassArt? What to expect...anything different than the ordinary questions?