What is you application nightmare?

ridgey

Mine is that I get a phone call from the person I reeeeeeeally hope will be my advisor telling me of my acceptance and how impressive my application is etc. He invites me to admitted students' weekend (for which the department pays all my expenses). On the visit, we start to talk, and he quickly realises that it wasn't me he was so impressed with - he dialled the wrong number by mistake. My application was on his desk because it was so bad it was going on the website in an attempt to show future applicants what not to do.

Others?

Nothing so dramatic...just waiting until late March or April to hear from all the schools, and winding up with a pile of rejections.

Yeah that is mine too really. The 'nice' version of the nightmare would be getting in everywhere I applied and having to decide between schools you could barely get a gnat's hair between in terms of course/faculty.

Ooh I have a new one, because it almost happened today! I got a phone call while I was at work from the department coordinator at one of my schools with a December 31 deadline, saying they're making decisions about fellowships next Monday morning but haven't received 2 of my letters, my transcripts, or my resume, and they needed them by 5 PM to consider me. I spent my lunch break on the phone and email and managed to send the coordinator my resume, get both of my recommenders to email copies of their letters to her, and get my undergrad to send an electronic copy of my transcript (which she said they'd be willing to use due to the situation). Except for my study abroad transcripts, which I simply couldn't get in one day, the department now has semi-official copies of everything.

I'm SO glad that she called to give me a chance to get the materials in! And so glad that my undergrad, from the registrar to my professors, are accessible and helpful in a crunch. My nightmare is now that this is happening at all my other schools and they won't let me know, they'll just throw my application out.

(So what happened? I sent out the transcripts and resume a few weeks ago, and I trust my recommenders, so I was like "does the post office actually have a 75% failure rate for priority mail, or is this the graduate school office's fault?" After work I checked my tracking number, and the package with my transcripts and resume was delivered, albeit during the school's Christmas break. So it's the graduate school administrative office's fault that the department was missing 75% of my application. *sigh*)

Oh dear, such negative thoughts. Although I suppose I aimed a teensy bit too high, and only applied to 2 plan B schools. Speaking of which, UT Austin finally answered their @#%*in' phone so that I could explain to them that my application was not incomplete but had been, in fact, completed early...they hadn't forwarded it to the adcom yet...the deadline was a month ago and I didn't bother them about it until now because they say you shouldn't call them...dunces. :x

well besides the obvious "get rejected across the board" nightmare... that i get accepted only to my last choice school, with no funding. I almost think that scenario would be worse than getting rejected because I would have to decide between putting grad school off yet another year, or going to a school that I am lukewarm about and paying full price for it. I think part of me wouldn't want to give up grad school, and another part of me would worry about regret if I did go ahead with it.

Yeah, going into debt is a bit of a nightmare. That, or having the choice between moving somewhere I don't like or going into debt to stay where I do enjoy living. Honestly, I don't expect to get rejected across the board, but a couple of iffy choices could be hard to decide between.

I haven't had any actual nightmares about it (yet) but I'm terrified of:

1. All of my schools rejecting me because they didn't get my materials (I sent transcripts and applications in wayyy before some deadlines).

2. My top school(s) (or really any school) telling me I was admitted and then saying, Nope, oops! Emailed the wrong group of students! You're denied!

I had a third one but it's not coming to me right now. If I remember maybe I'll post again.

1. That my days as a lost undergrad will come back to haunt me. (not great grades)

2. That I just simply didn't do enough to make a strong profile

funny enough, i have a lot of faith in the dept secretaries, and didnt have a problem at all with missing documents or anything.

i just looked at some of the successful profiles on applycorner and was totally blown away by most of them. hence the anxiety-ridden post! :(

nightmare...

Being rejected from every school. (check)

Having to tell everyone I told that I applied to graduate school that I was rejected from every school and having the woman who works in the post office where my application stuff was mailed say, "so you hear from any of those schools you applied to? You applied to so many you must have gotten accepted somewhere!" (check)

Sitting in my advisor's office as she enumerates why I did not and never will be accepted to a program. (check)

Finding out four days after the deadline that I never submitted the online application to one of my favorites and most likely to be accepted to schools. (check)

I've lived the nightmare, so hopefully this year won't be too bad of a repeat.