Religion and Grad School

WornOutGrad

For me, Religion is a very important part of my life, one that I have allowed to slip by the wayside over the past year in Grad School. I'm starting to realize that, for me, my faith is too important to put aside, even for the time-consuming, soul-crushing nature of Grad School. I'm curious if anyone else on here see religion as important, and how they balance faith with school.

Faith is important for me too, but I have to say -- I don't think Grad School is unique in its tendency to monopolize our time and take our focus off of God. Perhaps Grad School does this in a way other things don't; I wouldn't know exactly. I am not in grad school. But I am a busy professional (work full time, and own my own business), and between my personal and professional responsibilities, it is a significant challenge to continue making Religion a part of my life. I've found it is very easy to make excuses about time and exhaustion.

When you really think about it, many church/temple services are only one or two hours, don't require much prep at all. Morning prayer and daily meditation doesn't take much time either. There are number of ways to worship and stay engaged through the the day. There are small groups, forums, devotionals, and sometimes (depending on your faith) religious leaders are available to talk to. Most campuses have various ministries present, and often have a college chaplain. The hardest part is finding a church home, or feeling safe and secure in a new situation.

I imagine that since your life changes so much with grad school (new place, will be leaving soon), that it's not easy to fit in. Maybe you could go straight to a local pastor, or contact someone back home who can connect you with someone in the area? Or perhaps a friend of yours is willing to talk with you about faith on the phone from time to time.

For me, I keep a few devotionals at my desk and prayers printed out in my area. I make it a point to pray whenever I think of it, and before bed. Fortunately, I can talk about God with my family. When I was in school, I tried to get involved in small groups when possible. I visit church when I can; I try to be gentle with myself when I don't meet my goals there. I listen to music that to me is spiritual, and sometimes I even sing (alone) in worship. I write my religious friends from time to time. One of the greatest things in the world is the internet -- so many churches publish or podcast sermons. I bet, no matter your faith, you could find some inspirational teachings online. If it's fellowship you're looking for, you're likely going to have to reach out (which is uncomfortable and awkward to everyone) and see if anyone in your area is willing to shepherd you in a positive direction!

In any case, I understand how you feel. It is hard. Even beyond Grad School, you are not alone. *hug*

Since my religion has very specific requirements it would be hard for me to not find time for it and still consider myself religious. I schedule prayers into my morning routine, so I wake up early enough to fit that in. I leave campus early enough to say afternoon prayers (eventually I'll probably need to do those in school, but that is fairly awkward if people walk in on me praying). I put religious stuff on my to do list, and will even make it higher priority than schoolwork if it's important enough. I'd say it's just a matter of deciding what your priorities in life are.

My religion is very important to me too, and it's not just a one-hour-a-week kind of thing. I am very involved at my church and sometimes spend 5+ hours/week doing church-related stuff, in addition to normal services. And that doesn't count things like reading and praying. This may seem like a high time commitment but I actually find it easier to focus on my graduate studies when I make God a priority in my life.

One thing I've done that really helps me squeeze religious stuff in is to download various religious texts (Bible, inspirational messages, etc.) to my iPhone. Then I can read any time, any where, when I have a few free minutes. (The other day I was in the dentist's chair, waiting for the anesthesia to kick in, and I whipped out the iPhone...)

My religion is very important to me too, and it's not just a one-hour-a-week kind of thing. I am very involved at my church and sometimes spend 5+ hours/week doing church-related stuff, in addition to normal services. And that doesn't count things like reading and praying. This may seem like a high time commitment but I actually find it easier to focus on my graduate studies when I make God a priority in my life. One thing I've done that really helps me squeeze religious stuff in is to download various religious texts (Bible, inspirational messages, etc.) to my iPhone. Then I can read any time, any where, when I have a few free minutes. (The other day I was in the dentist's chair, waiting for the anesthesia to kick in, and I whipped out the iPhone...)

Excellent! That was me in college... and I miss it! It did so much good for me in college to take that time to go to church, plug into a solid bible study (the final two years, I ended up being the leader of the study :D ), and take time out of my day to focus on God! I don't think that's something you should have to give up in Grad School... and something I'm trying to make it a point to emphasize again in my life. I wouldn't have survived college without God, and there's no way I'm going to get through this without him!

I honestly don't see why going to school would keep someone from practicing his/her religion. I know a guy whose religion requires him to pray 5 times a day and being at work didn't stop him. As for me I'm Catholic and it's not as if I can't take Sunday off to go to Mass and spend it with my family. This really is no different than anyone else.

Some people are very involved with their places of worship, doing things during the week, but even then I don't see how that's different than any of us who spend a few hours during the week on specific nights playing cards, at a sporting event, at happy hour, at the movies, at another job, etc. I think it's just a matter of deciding whether or not religion (or your place of worship) is a priority to you, if so then how much of a priority it is to you, and then making it a point to devote certain time (e.g. 2 hours for choir practice on Wednesday nights) to your religious activities.

Graduate school requires one to prioritize activities that one used to take for granted. For those people here who believe they are having trouble finding time for religious activity, ask yourself this question: how much tv do I watch in a week? I frequently have self pity because I have "no time for anything" and yet I still manage to squeeze several hours of programming into a week.

• 1 month later...

I find plenty of time to sit at the altar of Cathulu in my apartment in worship him. Seriously though, its good to find time for your faith if that is important to you. Grad school is beneficial that is forces you to prioritize and get really good at time management. I learned to cut a lot of crap that was not important or necessary in my life out or prioritize it way low down the list. If its not immediate, I'll get to it. I think a lot of newer grad students have an issue where everything at first seems to be the most important thing ever and has to get done now. Not really, it just feels that way, and when your are stuck in this cycle you have yet to get a good grasp on balancing school and life.

Now if you spent 40 hours a week at church, grad school may force you cut down on some of the time you spend, but not cut it out completely.

• 4 months later...

Since my religion has very specific requirements it would be hard for me to not find time for it and still consider myself religious. I schedule prayers into my morning routine, so I wake up early enough to fit that in. I leave campus early enough to say afternoon prayers (eventually I'll probably need to do those in school, but that is fairly awkward if people walk in on me praying). I put religious stuff on my to do list, and will even make it higher priority than schoolwork if it's important enough. I'd say it's just a matter of deciding what your priorities in life are.

My undergrad institution had a room in the student services building that was only for prayer. There were sinks in the entrances for if your religious practice required bathing before and/or after and it was divided in half so men an women weren't together. I'm an atheist so I didn't use it much, but I did go there to meditate sometimes. Check with your institution to see if there is a room somewhere that can be used for that - if it doesn't exist already you might be doing others a favor by helping establish one!

For me, Religion is a very important part of my life, one that I have allowed to slip by the wayside over the past year in Grad School. I'm starting to realize that, for me, my faith is too important to put aside, even for the time-consuming, soul-crushing nature of Grad School. I'm curious if anyone else on here see religion as important, and how they balance faith with school.

I made a point to attend a Christian ug(not my denomination, though) so I would have extra accountability (required classes, guarantee to have least a few with similar views). I will not have that luxury in grad school.

When we move, we are making a point to find a church we fit in, and a small group we get along with for the week- that way we have others with similar beliefs and will probably going through the same things (our current one is made up of other young married couples).

See if you student services has a place of worship list. Even in the basic info packet, many schools I was looking at listed some of the local ones.

Reading also seems to help with accountability- going through book studies, etc.

Personally, I ended up changed my plans all together because of my faith. I intended to do philosophy but now will attend BU's school of theology. This is huge change to make from an arts and science program because there no secularized.

While I wouldn't expect people to completly change their plans like that, there are some things that can help:

1.most school have some sort of club or group that brings students of a particular faith together.

2. church, mosque's etc usually surround universities, large and small. Some are even on campus. Try to work/study a little less and visit once in a while or manage your time differently to allow for prayer and reflection.

3. Speak with clergy (phone, skype) ask for advice from former mentors, pastors and such. They can be a big relief at times like this.

4. Lastly, while being in a building with people of the same faith is a big deal, it isn't what religion is really about. Its about a personal experience. I've been true to my faith (I hope) without attending church for periods of time, and while it made it that much harder, I've grown because of it.

My undergrad institution had a room in the student services building that was only for prayer. There were sinks in the entrances for if your religious practice required bathing before and/or after and it was divided in half so men an women weren't together. I'm an atheist so I didn't use it much, but I did go there to meditate sometimes. Check with your institution to see if there is a room somewhere that can be used for that - if it doesn't exist already you might be doing others a favor by helping establish one!

I will probably offer something like this to my instutition if no such thing exists there. Great idea and very helpful! Thank you

I have the opposite issue. I'm doctorate program and for the first time in my life I am in contact with religious people. I'm disliking how much their religion and faith comes up in class discussions.

I'm not religious per se, but I find it helps if we think about and realize how often other faith-based systems (eg. concepts of morality, abstract rights, social norms, science we don't understand the inner-workings of) figure into our own thinking.

Edited by koolherc

I'm not religious per se, but I find it helps if we think about and realize how often other faith-based systems (eg. concepts of morality, abstract rights, social norms, science we don't understand the inner-workings of) figure into our own thinking.

+1 Regardless of what your beliefs are, I think a good way to approach this is to ground yourself in what those beliefs have taught you, and how they inform your actions - not the dogma/ritual associated with them (church/temple). I will admit, this is a big benefit to a secular worldview - no mess/strings attached when your time becomes limited. Values are based solely on Humanist ethics, so no time is required for outside "practice" or whatever, and nobody judging you for failing to adhere to some arbitrary set of rituals. But, for those who have been brought up in a religious faith, the social and community aspects of that faith may present the biggest challenges - perhaps it is the lack of these components that are worrying to practicing members of religious groups? Maybe graduate school could actually be seen as an opportunity to develop your own, more personal set of beliefs/values, based in those you held previously but acquired in absence of the rituals and community they originally were based in. It could be a great time to develop spiritually on your own terms. You know, make lemonade out of lemons sort of thing? :)

Edited by MountainGuy32

I've actually become stronger in my faith since starting grad school. It might have something to do with the fact that I moved 800 miles from home, but I easily spend 5 or more hours a week at church, plus more time spent in prayer and reading the Bible. My church also has a great college center that I can go to 24/7 and study ... which definitely makes for a nice, distraction free area!