Thanks for the heads up. I applied for a Doctoral FQRSC grant, too, so hopefully they'll release those soon.

Last year the MA and doctoral FQRSC were announced the same day... Here's hoping we hear doctoral results this week!

Last year the MA and doctoral FQRSC were announced the same day... Here's hoping we hear doctoral results this week!

Yeah, it's kind of frustrating that they're releasing them on different days. I know a couple of days more of waiting after half a year isn't outrageous, but nerves are running high and WE JUST WANT TO FRIKKIN' KNOW, OKAY!? OKAY!?

Ahem..... sorry...

It's entertaining seeing how this thread's been growing more quickly in replies in the last few days. Everyone is so edgy and anxious. I suspect we won't get any mail until the week of April 30th.

When do SSHRC results typically get announced in relation to the FQRSC results? Around the same time? A couple weeks later?

SSHRC is typically released a couple of weeks later, but there is no set relationship between the two.

Edited by Compoe

If it's any consolation, I now have the SSHRC results be the determining factor in whether I can afford a PhD, at all. I was hoping to at least have FQRSC to fall back on, but that's gone.

I'm really sorry Compoe. But you're waitlisted, so you still might have a shot! I don't know anything about the Quebec system but there are lots of people who get SSHRC and not OGS so the FQRSC might not be a barometer.

I'm really sorry Compoe. But you're waitlisted, so you still might have a shot! I don't know anything about the Quebec system but there are lots of people who get SSHRC and not OGS so the FQRSC might not be a barometer.

Thanks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The numbers in my FQRSC category were really small - 12 applicants, 3 grants offered, and I'm 1st on the waiting list with a score of 17.4/20. I really hope something will work out - it'll suck to sit out a year on account of not getting funding.

Thanks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The numbers in my FQRSC category were really small - 12 applicants, 3 grants offered, and I'm 1st on the waiting list with a score of 17.4/20. I really hope something will work out - it'll suck to sit out a year on account of not getting funding.

You may have a shot! I know three people who were on waiting lists last year (all different committees) and got the award in the 2 or 3 round. Try and think positive! My committee had 23, 6 offered. I wasn't so lucky (and I think I'm too far down the waiting list to have a shot). SSHRC will come soon...

Your odds sound excellent. Regardless, 4/12 is incredibly impressive -- fingers crossed someone above you declines if SSHRC doesn't work out. What is the amount of funding that FQRSC is offering relative to SSHRC?

Your odds sound excellent. Regardless, 4/12 is incredibly impressive -- fingers crossed someone above you declines if SSHRC doesn't work out. What is the amount of funding that FQRSC is offering relative to SSHRC?

FQRSC tops out at $20k per year for up to three years. So, it'll always be less lucrative than the $20k SSHRC, but still enough to live all right in Montreal.

A question about my situation came to mind while waiting for news of (hopefully) my doctoral SSHRC money

I am currently finishing my Masters and applied from a Canadian school. I got into a UK school that requires a financial guarantee. The program is only technically 3 years but I have to show that I can pay a continuation fee and living expenses in a fourth year because most people use it. Can I use the fourth year of 4X$20000 in the financial guarantee?

If anyone has experience with this or knows someone who does, please let me know and thanks in advance.

Hey there cookery as literature. I looked over the stats for Oxford through the SSHRC website, and for the past three years it suggests funding was dispensed for the amount of time the degree. So if 3 years...you get $60,000. (If you win the $20,000x4 SSHRC).

See you in Milton!

hello hello...I emailed SSHRC yesterday about change of address, did not ask ANYTHING about the release of the results. They were nice enough to write back and inform me that ''The results of the Doctoral competition will be mailed out next week at the end of April 2012.''

Somehow I do not have the feeling that this waiting will extend into MAy....so..I think, 2 more weeks of waiting, max. For ppl on both sides of the Atlantic. Good luck!!

hello hello...I emailed SSHRC yesterday about change of address, did not ask ANYTHING about the release of the results. They were nice enough to write back and inform me that ''The results of the Doctoral competition will be mailed out next week at the end of April 2012.''

Somehow I do not have the feeling that this waiting will extend into MAy....so..I think, 2 more weeks of waiting, max. For ppl on both sides of the Atlantic. Good luck!!

I have a good feeling about getting them by the end of next week. Last year they were mailed (according to this thread anyway) around the 21st and began to be received as of the 26th (and they were apparently late last year too). Next Monday is the 23rd so I'm hoping that they'll be mailed Monday/Tuesday and received by the end of the week. If we get them a week tomorrow, I would definitely call April 27th the "end of April". Ugh, this nerve-wracking waiting is really getting in the way of all the work I have to do.

I just got an email from Graduate Studies at my university with a subject line that says "SSHRC results notice expected in late May." Within the email, it says "SSHRC plans to announce results in Spring 2012. Historically, these results are often not released until sometime during the month of May."

Is anyone at schools other than McGill getting notices like that? I'm really hoping this is more a precautionary email, but we didn't receive these notices for the last two competitions...

Two weeks from now will be May - the first is not this upcoming Tuesday, but the following. This is agonizing!

I just got an email from Graduate Studies at my university with a subject line that says "SSHRC results notice expected in late May." Within the email, it says "SSHRC plans to announce results in Spring 2012. Historically, these results are often not released until sometime during the month of May."

Is anyone at schools other than McGill getting notices like that? I'm really hoping this is more a precautionary email, but we didn't receive these notices for the last two competitions...

I'm at Queen's and I have not heard that; however, we were told a few weeks ago that SSHRC had still not told graduate studies when results would be released.

My school definitely has not sent anything like that to me at all. While 2009 was exceptionally late (end of May), 2010 results were mailed around May 5th and letters were received around May 6th/7th depending where you lived, and 2011 results were received around April 26th. So I'd be shocked if it's end of May, but sadly, we quite likely could be waiting until the first week of May.

I thought my fellow obsessees might be interested in this document (unless - like me - you found it while you were writing your proposal): http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCQQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.research.uwaterloo.ca%2Fgrants%2Fdocuments%2FStudyonSuccessfulSSHRCApplications_000.pdf&ei=d3qQT9LuErPZiALuu8jyAg&usg=AFQjCNH2upIjnGjawv2KnthpXrCGZ6rLng

I found it really useful while writing my proposal to see how successful applications have been structured in the past. Now it might be something interesting to read while you wait for results to come out.

Hi everyone,

I heard back from FQRSC today. My committee had 30 applications and I am # 10. They offered 9 awards so I am # 1 on the waitlist.

Only 1 person in my program was offered an award out of the few of us who applied.

I am also from McGill and I received that same letter - but I think it is to get us off their backs. Also, MA students usually hear back from SSHRC after the Doctoral award applicants and this message was sent to everyone

I trust what SSHRC says (in the next 2 weeks) over McGill's email.

I thought my fellow obsessees might be interested in this document (unless - like me - you found it while you were writing your proposal): http://www.google.ca...KnthpXrCGZ6rLng

I found it really useful while writing my proposal to see how successful applications have been structured in the past. Now it might be something interesting to read while you wait for results to come out.

Thanks for the link. I'm far too anxious to look at it and figure out all the mistakes I made that will cripple my chances of getting a SSHRC but I've bookmarked it for next August given the very high likelihood that I will starting this circus all over again.

Like others here, I'm also in Ontario - yay for waiting on both SSHRC annnnnnd OGS. Fun times. No, wait. SUPER fun times. :P As for the whole "end of May" notice via McGill, I suspect that's just to get people to stop calling/e-mailing/firebombing the internal powers-that-be. Or, at least I hope so! I can't imagine this waiting game continuing all the way until the END of May. *BIGGESTSIGHEVER*