SSHRC sent out notifications about the Vanier scholarships last week, which indicates that the CGSs and Fellowships should be announced very shortly (last year they were announced about the same time, though they were all late..)

So, VANIER results were early this year, correct? If so, this is good news...... I am starting to become impatient now that it is almost mid April :)

Agreed. Almost a couple weeks in their entirety were dedicated to my SSHRC Master's program of study (for which I was successful) and this included circulating it to friends, peers, a grantscrafter, my supervisor and a couple of other profs. Nearly a month straight was spent on my Doctoral SSHRC, so we'll have to see whether or not the time and effort pays off. As the poster above mentioned, however, if you take the amount of time spent on a SSHRC app in relation to the amount of money you receive, you're making a wicked hourly wage (an hourly wage you will likely never see again for the duration of your academic career). While the actual details of the deliberation process are pretty hush hush, given the disparate range of applications receiving SSHRC Doctoral awards - some people with publications, conferences, while others have none - it makes you think that a good program of study can make all the difference. And again, to repeat what the comments above, it provides an opportunity through which your research interests can be distilled into a coherent, accessible format.

I think this all really depends. Last year, I spent a million hours on my SSHRC proposal and didn't get out of the school (I was an MA student applying for PhD1) but this year, I totally changed my proposal and spent considerably less time on it and I was forwarded by my institution. Obviously, I still don't know if my application will be successful but I can say that for me personally, the more time I spent editing my SSHRC proposal, the more complicated I made it. I really benefited by having a more logical approach to SSHRC this year and realizing that spending a ton of time on it doesn't always (although it can) make a better proposal. This year, I started earlier than last year but I spent considerably less time on it. I still got it vetted by a ton of people but I feel like I was able to articulate my project much more clearly because I fought my inclination to keep tinkering with it. As with lots of things in life, input =/= output. Plus, I think SSHRC is a crap shoot anyway -- there are lots of qualified people who don't get it and lots of under-qualified people who do. I know it's really hard not to take SSHRC's decision personally but I really think a lot of it is luck and whether or not your research project is trendy. As long as it is well-written and you've gotten lots of good feedback on it, I don't think the amount of hours you spent necessarily matters. For some people, this will be a labourious project; for others, it might come a little easier because you're further ahead in your studies and have written more proposals, abstracts, etc.

Edited by cathaea

Hello all, I've been lurking on this thread -

I'm waiting to hear yay or nay from SSHRC as well and would love to hear any updates on timing that people come across! I'd volunteer to phone and bug them, but am in Geneva so it would be a bit of a production. :)

Best of luck to everyone as you wait on your results - may the Canadian government shower you with blessed funding.

Edited by Smitten Pears

OGS won't be out until mid-May said an e-mail I just received - hopefully SSHRC is faster :). Although my supervisor told me he received a notice about a delay in SSHRC - but he wasn't sure if it meant a delay for faculty awards or student awards. If only they could be prompt like NSERC. Haha. Good luck everyone!

Just received this email after an inquiry...

"Good afternoon,

Thank you for your email.

The Doctoral Awards competition is still in progress. The results of the

competition will be mail during the month of April 2012.

If your mailing address has changed, please inform us as soon as possible so that we

may keep your file up to date."

So, at least it will be in April and not May by the sounds of it.

OGS won't be out until mid-May said an e-mail I just received - hopefully SSHRC is faster :). Although my supervisor told me he received a notice about a delay in SSHRC - but he wasn't sure if it meant a delay for faculty awards or student awards. If only they could be prompt like NSERC. Haha. Good luck everyone!

The delay in results is apparently just for faculty/Insight awards, not student awards. They delayed the results due to the recently released budget from the government. Vanier winners were given results about 10 days ago according to that thread; I remember last year at least the Vanier winner in my dept. got notification about 2 weeks prior to us getting our doctoral results in the mail, but whether that'll be the case again this year, who knows. Can't be any worse than two years ago when I got my letter at the end of May!

Anyone else get one of these emails?

Dear Ms. FleetFoxes,

In processing your doctoral award application, we noticed that you did not indicate a university to award the PhD degree. We require this information in order to complete your file. Can you please let us know your first choice as soon as possible? Please note that this can be changed later should you be successful in the competition.

Sincerely,

Roxanne Dompierre

It showed up in my inbox with the title "SSHRC Doctoral Application" and my heart skipped a beat. Anyways, it forced me to tell them that I am heading to a US school so no super SSHRC for me (although they did tell me that I could change the school name after the award decisions are made so maybe they offer up super SSHRCs as an incentive for some people to stay in Canada... I know this is obviously the case with the Vanier. Whatever the case may be, I just wish the Canadian government would put us all out of our misery!

Edited by FleetFoxes

Anyone else get one of these emails?

Dear Ms. FleetFoxes,

In processing your doctoral award application, we noticed that you did not indicate a university to award the PhD degree. We require this information in order to complete your file. Can you please let us know your first choice as soon as possible? Please note that this can be changed later should you be successful in the competition.

Sincerely,

Roxanne Dompierre

It showed up in my inbox with the title "SSHRC Doctoral Application" and my heart skipped a beat. Anyways, it forced me to tell them that I am heading to a US school so no super SSHRC for me (although they did tell me that I could change the school name after the award decisions are made so maybe they offer up super SSHRCs as an incentive for some people to stay in Canada... I know this is obviously the case with the Vanier. Whatever the case may be, I just wish the Canadian government would put us all out of our misery!

...that sounds promising for you, if you ask me!

I was just procastinating writing my thesis and my mind started wandering to the SSHRC competition. I just had an irrational burst of anger at the fact that SSHRC hasn't stepped into the 21st century and started posting results online or even just emailing them! Arrrrgh...

bueller? anyone?

As of last Friday (the 13th... ooooooo.....), the grad studies office in my department has heard nothing regarding when either the Doctoral or Master's results will be released. Hopefully, the process won't drag on until mid-May like past years, but I'm not optimistic.

Prove me wrong, SSHRC! Prove me wrong!

I just sent an e-mail to SSHRC Fellowships, and I received the following reply:

"Good afternoon,

Thank you for your email.

The Doctoral Awards competition is still in progress. The results of the competition will be mail end of April beginning of May 2012.

If your mailing address has changed, please inform us as soon as possible so that we may keep your file up to date."

Sigh. I had hoped for an earlier release of tension this year, but it looks like we'll be waiting for at least another week or so.

I emailed them, and they said end of April for the MA SSHRC, so either they've changed it or they don't know what the heck they're talking about.

This is probably (and by probably, I mean definitely) just wishful thinking, but they might be throwing May into the mix now to keep us from harassing them.

This is probably (and by probably, I mean definitely) just wishful thinking, but they might be throwing May into the mix now to keep us from harassing them.

But when, specifically, in May? The 2nd? The 4th, but only after 2:51PM? Are they waiting for a specific star formation to be seen before knowing that it is the Right Time to release the results?

I'mma email them every three hours to ask.

Edited by Compoe

Keep harassing them - I would be much more content if they provided us with the release date up front instead of following their typical pattern and telling us that results will be out beginning of April, then extending it to mid April, and finally into May. Teach them a lesson! LOL. Good Luck!

I am going out of my mind with anxiety waiting for the results of the competition. I can't believe that it's only April 17th! I have a sickening feeling that we won't be finding out until May. [cringe]

Edited by avsilver

I am going out of my mind with anxiety waiting for the results of the competition. I can't believe that it's only April 17th! I have a sickening feeling that we won't be finding out until May. [cringe]

I know, I need this money so badly and I am growing very impatient!

i just don't understand why the results are always put out *after* you have to accept or decline offers. i just know too many people who had to turn down offers from a university which they want to study at, but whose financing was rather limited, for a university which offered much more just to "be safe." it is especially bad for people who were conflicted between studying at a canadian and american or european university (like me). i mean, i guess a lot of people just do the asshole thing and accept several offers and wait to hear back, but that's just mean....