It wasn't confirmed, but it would have been difficult to not have been, as I had been the only one to win the MA SSHRC.

The main point is that for those of you who have won the MA SSHRC, you are not necessarily forwarded to the Doctoral SSHRC competition by the university (depending on its policies). Which I find bizarre.

Does anybody know what the relative breakdown is between number of CGS super-SSHRCs ($35k) awarded vs the number of Doctoral Fellowships ($20k) awarded in the doctoral competition? I checked the competition statistics section on the SSHRC website, and it provides stats only for the number of doctoral awards that are handed out without specifying which kind,

I'd be elated with either award, but I'm just curious if anyone knows how much more difficult it is to get the super-SSHRC.

ZoSo--there is a way to see the complete list of award winners for each previous year. I don't know if they total the numbers anywhere, but you can look through to see who won, what their proposal title was, and what school they attend (as well as, for the doctoral fellowship, how many years they're getting funded @ $20,000 per annum). From what I recall, the lists were roughly the same length. All of us applying from outside the country will automatically be receiving the smaller award, so winners in Canada should have a better than 50% shot at the big money.

Winners for last year can be found here (with minimal digging):

http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/results-resultats/recipients-recipiendaires/index-eng.aspx

“There must be some word today

from the [sSHRCies] so far away

Please Mr. Postman look and see

is there a letter, a letter for me?”

Wait a minute Mr. Postman ... wayyeayeayea Mr. Postman...” (The Beetles).

I know I know ... but better than biting nails while curled up under mailbox. Too soon?

• 2 weeks later...

With the delayed federal budget announcement this year, I'd suggest not counting on receiving a response from SSHRC any time in the next few weeks. The NSERC people are dealing with this delay, already.

Which is a real pain in the ass, because for some people (hey, I'm some people!), it's SSHRC's decision that determines whether or not they can afford (further) grad studies, but the accept/reject deadline for schools is April 15 and arrrrrrrghblhhjrhdn.......

What's this about a delayed federal budget? I'm living in the States so I haven't kept up with everything...and counting on a date near the 15th too so I can accept or decline my department's TA offer for next year as needed...arrgh!

What's this about a delayed federal budget? I'm living in the States so I haven't kept up with everything...and counting on a date near the 15th too so I can accept or decline my department's TA offer for next year as needed...arrgh!

The budget was released on March 29, which was later than previous years, and both SSHRC and NSERC received a budget cut. Whether that has any impact on this years grant numbers, no one knows. What is known is that NSERC did not release their results until after the budget (read: later than they usually do). People are now beginning to receive them en mass, though.

Since SSHRC results are always released later than NSERC, it's unclear as to whether there will be any extra delay because of the budget. Last year, however, the first SSHRC results were reported on the forum on April 26, so I'd be surprised if they were out beforehand.

Which is cool, because nobody is waiting on them, or anything.

When this thread is bumped, I, too, hold my breath in anticipation as I scroll to the last post. Obrera, I shall start a new thread for Master's SSHRC applicants; however, I don't anticipate any news until late April.... sigh......

The budget was released on March 29, which was later than previous years, and both SSHRC and NSERC received a budget cut. Whether that has any impact on this years grant numbers, no one knows. What is known is that NSERC did not release their results until after the budget (read: later than they usually do). People are now beginning to receive them en mass, though.

Since SSHRC results are always released later than NSERC, it's unclear as to whether there will be any extra delay because of the budget. Last year, however, the first SSHRC results were reported on the forum on April 26, so I'd be surprised if they were out beforehand.

Which is cool, because nobody is waiting on them, or anything.

I'm not sure, but I think Compoe might be referring to this Q&A from the Globe about the Federal Budget. Sort of ambiguous, I'm assuming some of the 'redistribution' hit SSHRC but who knows... doesn't look too ominous either way.

"Answer from post-secondary education reporter James Bradshaw: All three granting councils were asked to find “savings,” so they did cut programs. However, every penny was then reinvested in different programs within the granting councils.

There are a number of other investments in research, such as $60-million to Genome Canada, $17-million for isotope research, and another $500-million over five years for research infrastructure through the Canada Foundation for Innovation. The bottom line is the research community suffered no cuts really and most of those redistribution was focused on industry- or business-related research."

When this thread is bumped, I, too, hold my breath in anticipation as I scroll to the last post. Obrera, I shall start a new thread for Master's SSHRC applicants; however, I don't anticipate any news until late April.... sigh......

Chances are even later for the Master's award, judging by last year...but, as you've doubtless heard a million times by now, if your university has forwarded your application for the MA SSHRC it's basically guaranteed. I remember being in your position and doubting that, so I can empathize...but it'll all be OK!

Chances are even later for the Master's award, judging by last year...but, as you've doubtless heard a million times by now, if your university has forwarded your application for the MA SSHRC it's basically guaranteed. I remember being in your position and doubting that, so I can empathize...but it'll all be OK!

I'm a direct to SSHRC applicant, so IT'S NOT OKAY! :(

Random fuel for the fire of crazy: Has anyone signed in to SSHRC's website lately? I just did... I noticed that when I click on "important messages" that the page is currently unavailable... updates in progress, perhaps? (or I could be losing my mind... it's a toss up, really).

just wondering...how long did you guys spend on your SSHRC doctoral applications..including the program of study? I met a few pl. from canada recently and they told me that the selection process is extremely random..so I am wondering how much sense it really makes to spend days on the application...

just wondering...how long did you guys spend on your SSHRC doctoral applications..including the program of study? I met a few pl. from canada recently and they told me that the selection process is extremely random..so I am wondering how much sense it really makes to spend days on the application...

I invested several hundred hours in both Master's (successful) and Doctoral (???) applications. I don't have specific numbers, but.... they're not low. Even at the Master's level, though, I remember that the "payout" was equivalent to a pretty good hourly wage for how long I worked on it.

There may be a lot of luck involved, but it's still quite common for rushed or poor quality applications to get killed at the school's internal review session(s) - at least, if you apply through an institution - so I try to hedge my bets. Writing the applications also had the secondary benefit of helping me narrow in on what research I actually wanted to pursue and frame it in a semi-easily digestible format for people outside of my discipline.

SSHRC sent out notifications about the Vanier scholarships last week, which indicates that the CGSs and Fellowships should be announced very shortly (last year they were announced about the same time, though they were all late..)

I invested several hundred hours in both Master's (successful) and Doctoral (???) applications. I don't have specific numbers, but.... they're not low. Even at the Master's level, though, I remember that the "payout" was equivalent to a pretty good hourly wage for how long I worked on it.

There may be a lot of luck involved, but it's still quite common for rushed or poor quality applications to get killed at the school's internal review session(s) - at least, if you apply through an institution - so I try to hedge my bets. Writing the applications also had the secondary benefit of helping me narrow in on what research I actually wanted to pursue and frame it in a semi-easily digestible format for people outside of my discipline.

Agreed. Almost a couple weeks in their entirety were dedicated to my SSHRC Master's program of study (for which I was successful) and this included circulating it to friends, peers, a grantscrafter, my supervisor and a couple of other profs. Nearly a month straight was spent on my Doctoral SSHRC, so we'll have to see whether or not the time and effort pays off. As the poster above mentioned, however, if you take the amount of time spent on a SSHRC app in relation to the amount of money you receive, you're making a wicked hourly wage (an hourly wage you will likely never see again for the duration of your academic career). While the actual details of the deliberation process are pretty hush hush, given the disparate range of applications receiving SSHRC Doctoral awards - some people with publications, conferences, while others have none - it makes you think that a good program of study can make all the difference. And again, to repeat what the comments above, it provides an opportunity through which your research interests can be distilled into a coherent, accessible format.

interdis..how do you know about the Vanier scholarships?Sorry, I'm across the Atlantic..we don't hear much here until we get the actual envelope with the results.

Everyone's talking about it in the CGS/Vanier thread (also in The Bank section of this forum).