MHC/Counseling Psychology Fall 2012

Gvh

OK, so I am aware there is a thread like this from last year's application cycle, but I thought I'd go ahead and kick start the new potential grad students going for a MA/Ed.M or PhD in Counseling Psychology, Clinical Mental Health or School counseling for Fall 2012.

I'm hoping to start a MA or Ed.M in Clinical Mental Health counseling, and am applying to Columbia TC, McGill, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Penn, Denver and NYU.

I haven't found too many people in this boat and just thought I'd ask people where they are applying, and how the whole application is going so far! =)

I'm applying to masters programs in counseling for fall 2012 right now as well. :) Right now my list is:

1) Columbia

2) NYU

3) Northwestern

4) University of Minnesota

5) a few backup schools (pending), around Milwaukee or Chicago

I hadn't really considered Johns Hopkins until you mentioned it but the program looks pretty interesting. I've also heard of people applying to Harvard but their program doesn't really seem to be very counseling-based (more developmental?). What have you heard about it?

How are your applications going at this point? I'm still brushing up my statement of purpose and officially gathering up my LOR's.

Yeah JHU's program does sounds really interesting. And you're right, Harvard's program is more developmental but that is an angle I'm interested in I suppose =)

My applications are going pretty well. I've submitted all but 1 of my applications and am in the midst of filling out supplemental applications, making sure my LORs get through and all that fun stuff. Ha!

I've heard lots of good things about Northwestern's program - what are your top choices?

My goodness- I sure hope you're ahead of the curve because I'm just starting my applications now!

My top choices at this point are whichever of those programs admit me (if they give me money that'd be even better)- I guess I'd say my dream school is Columbia. I'm not sure if I'm being to ambitious? I'll find out in a few months, hah.

Hi! Thanks for starting this thread again as last years seems to have died out. I am graduating in dec. and have started the application process for fall 2012 master of Mental Health Counseling. I am going to be applying to TC, Hunter, Baruch, Fordam, CW Post, NYU, and maybe Touro, Cuny (brooklyn or queens) St. Johns. I am finding it very difficult to get all the necessary paperwork done and write the personal statement while finishing up my last semester. Am I the only one? Anyway, keep in touch, any info or thoughts will be appreciated.

Samblues- I feel really lucky, I graduated a year ago and I'm working full time now, so I have the evenings to work on applications. I'm having a hard enough time as it is narrowing down schools/re-writing my statement of purpose/filling out applications/studying for the GRE/etc... I can't imagine having schoolwork on top of everything (although I remember watching a lot of friends struggle through it).

Out of curiosity, what are everyones' career goals at this point? Are any of you applying for PhD programs right now as well? Are you hoping to go on and get your PhD eventually? I'm curious what other people looking at these programs are up to.

Yeah, I graduated this past spring and am working/gaining voluntary experience..! I hope to gain a PhD after my MA, which is why I'm really hoping to get into an MA program at a school that also offers a PhD...fingers crossed! TC and NYU seem to be popular choices...I've noticed! =)

How about you? PhD? Practice after graduation from MA? What are everyone's top choices?

Samblues- I am going through the same thing...every school's application process feels like a separate project plus I am doing my senior comps and an honors course this term!

I am applying to Columbia, NYU, Boston College, Wake Forest, William and Mary, GWU, and USF. Columbia is my top choice as well. I plan on going on for my PhD but want to get my feet wet in the masters. I really have no research experience so I probably would have gotten laughed at if I applied straight to a PhD program. I would like to practice after graduation and investigate PhD programs while I gain some real world experience.

If we all end up at Columbia we should be roomies...haha!

Thanks Gvh for starting this thread ;)

Have any of you spoke to anyone in the programs at Columbia or NYU? I remember reading some nasty things way back when on these boards about a few programs that tended to let a lot of students in and not really prepare them for much of anything- I can't find the thread anymore, and I'm not sure if it was anecdotal or not. Maybe I'm delusional.

Gvh, I'm very much in the same boat. I'd love to go on and get my PhD right after my masters. I looked at applying to a few clinical programs this year but in the end decided against it (I'm not sure I'd get in- I have a lot of research experience but most of it is cognitive/developmental, not with clinical populations).

I had heard the same things about Columbia and NYU but so far, my contact with TC in particular has been fine. I participated in an online chat several weeks ago and it was very productive and the admins were very courteous in answering all kinds of questions. Also, I emailed an admissions counselor and she called me the next day to discuss the program. I continue to communicate with her via email regarding different issues and she has been pleasant. I haven't had much contact with NYU yet.

Yeah, I've been in touch with admissions counselors at TC - I think Sarahmarie's experiences have been better than mine..when I visited the campus this summer the lady I talked to was fairly dismissive. I kind of felt like she just wanted to get rid of me, which wasn't my experience with other schools...but meh, that said, I'm not going to judge a whole program based on one person!

And yes, totally up for being roomies at Columbia! ;)

• 2 months later...

Yeah, good idea Sarahmarie. I have looked at the results board and have noticed a couple of PhD interviews, but few MAs notifications?

Yeah, good idea Sarahmarie. I have looked at the results board and have noticed a couple of PhD interviews, but few MAs notifications?

I think this is because those who don't fit in a school's PhD program may be considered for the masters program that corresponds to their doctoral interests and then the rest of the spots are left for masters applicants....that's just the vibe I get from the various blogs, etc. Which would really be crappy to think that we are competing against the PhD candidates as well as those applying for the same program we are...

Welcome to the (very small) club denimfan :) Yeah, apparently none of the MA programs get back to you before early March :(

Edited by Gvh

Thanks for the welcome Gvh~

I see that you have interviewed and was accepted to Penn GSE. Was this also for an MA in MHC? Back when I checked they did not have such a program.

Yeah, they have a M.S.Ed. in Counseling and Mental Health Services, which is a one year track that can be extended to two years for eligibility to LPC.

What are your top choices?

Thanks =) And congrats on your interview! You're the first person I've come across so far that is also applying to McGill. How annoying is their application process by the way? Hard copy recommendations? Seriously? Anyway. Good luck, keep us posted! :)

Thanks Gvh! I had my interview and I think it went great. Will know the decision in couple weeks. On another note, do any of you when the schools in New York will get back to you with decisions? Really interested in when NYU and Columbia will make their offers.

That's fantastic! Fingers crossed :) And yeah, from what I understand from both Columbia and NYU's websites combined with the results survey, March is a hot month. Specfically the middle of March, but I get the feeling good news gets delivered before bad, so if you haven't heard by the beginning of April, it could be an indication of rejection :/

Edited by Gvh