MHC/Counseling Psychology Fall 2012

Gvh

Thanks for the info YellowSubmarine.

So now I have a new question for everybody. I applied to a handful of PhD program in Counseling Psychology. My outcome was not quite what I was hoping for upon applying, although there is still a slim possibility that I am accepted into one of the programs I applied to/interviewed at. However, I've been doing a lot of "soul searching" of late - trying to consider what ultimately defines success to me. I've always known that with my degree, I've wanted to practice psychology. My dedication to research has been the [?], and so I figured attending a doctoral program, I'd have my options open at the end. I've also always been super driven in the sense that I'd want to pursue what might be considered the "top degree".. However, as time has gone on throughout the application process I've been thinking more and more about the possibility of waking up three years from now, in a doctoral program and realizing how much it is not for me. I really like writing and synthesizing ideas - I know this - however, I just don't know how intrinsic my motivation to conduct research in any capacity actually is. The thought of getting a Masters versus a PhD is like insta-breath-of-fresh-air for me. I feel like it grinds better against my soul (forgive me, I'm not really actually a philosophical/religious person at all). I also think, that it is possible to do pretty well (relatively) financially, coming out of a top Mental Health Counseling Master's program having done well, been pro-active, driven, and properly self-marketed. I also realize this could all be my subconscious dealing with the fact that I will most likely not get into a PhD program this year - except for the fact that I started having these thoughts before this became apparent to me.

Along the application process I was accepted into the Mental Health Counseling MA program at one of the school's I applied to. It looks like the opportunities for assistantships/funding are not particularly uncommon there. Long story short (but not that short), I am highly considering going there, and getting excited about it too. I realize that most of the people on this particular thread are pursuing a masters and for good reason, and I was wondering if you had any input?

PS. If anyone's interested in a stranger's personal definition of success, I've decided that ultimately I want a life where I pushed myself, and I've often lost time and came out feeling fulfilled rather than drained from it. I also hope that my own definition continues to evolve.

I definitely relate to a lot of your post.

I applied to a few PhD programs- albeit only ones that would automatically consider my application for the masters program if i was rejected - and didn't get into any.

One thing to keep in mind: while I know this isn't true across the board, most counseling PhD programs I looked at were mostly admitting people who already had their masters degree.

This is my personal understanding (the problem is that everyone seems to have a different opinion on the matter, which is fascinating and frustrating): If your ultimate goal is to practice (and not do research or teach), then a terminal masters program is a good way to go. If you don't want to rule out a PhD (for whatever reason- you feel like it will give you an edge in getting a job in private practice; you'd like to teach someday; assessment; research; etc etc), then it wouldn't hurt to find a masters program where a large percent of the students go on to PhD programs. And do research while you're studying there.

It can be hard in this process not to let your grad school search dictate your self-worth- I know I spent so much time and energy (and money!) on these ridiculous applications. But your working definition of success is a good one B)

Feeling your pain SJ! Based on the results survey NYU decisions went out in late March/early April last year. Penn GSE was about 4-6 weeks from application to decision but I didn't have an interview. Some others did so I am not sure how much time that tacked on to the waiting period...

Anyone who has been admitted to TC and is interested in getting to know other students, I have created a group on FB for TC Columbia MHC admitted students. Still not sure if that is where I will end up but I thought it would be cool to get to know some of the other students, since TC is still one of my top choices. If you are interested in getting involved PM me and I will give you details to find me (and the group) on FB. It is invite only :) Only the coolest future grad students may enter!

Ugh, I just got my Columbia TC financial aid information today. :blink: The Columbia TC financial aid link has been broken on the website for months now but from everything I can find out, tuition alone is more than $40,000/year (plus living costs in NYC- yikes). They offered me loans to cover all of my tuition but I don't want to leave grad school $100,000 in debt.

I'm still waiting to hear back from a few other programs (come on, NYU!) but it looks like it's state school again for me. B) If anyone else is thinking they're going to Minnesota CSPP in the fall, let me know! We can party. And by party I mean discuss the best areas to live/funding and assistantship opportunities/etc etc.

The application process to get a master's in counseling can definitely be a hastle. When I was going through my application process, I found a lot of sites meant to help students get information and find the right program for them. One of them was http://www.mastersincounseling.org/. There was a lot of information about the different schools that offer the program and it answered some of the questions I had regarding grants, admissions interviews, and choosing a focus. Obviously, it really helped me a lot, and I hope this helps you as well. Good luck with everything!

Nope- I haven't heard anything. I'm still waiting on half my schools, though (the March 1st application deadline is ridiculous). It looks like they started notifying people around mid-March last year, so it should be any day now. :)

I've got a quick question.... I'm going out to visit a school (that I'll likely attend), and I emailed asking if there was any way I could sit down and meet with someone, as I had a bunch of questions about assistantships, etc. I didn't hear back, so I called and left a voicemail a week later. I'm from out of state and I've already asked for time off of work for the long weekend... I'm getting really frustrated. Is sitting down with an advisor from the program a really unusual request? Should I go about this in a different way?

Nope- I haven't heard anything. I'm still waiting on half my schools, though (the March 1st application deadline is ridiculous). It looks like they started notifying people around mid-March last year, so it should be any day now. :)

I've got a quick question.... I'm going out to visit a school (that I'll likely attend), and I emailed asking if there was any way I could sit down and meet with someone, as I had a bunch of questions about assistantships, etc. I didn't hear back, so I called and left a voicemail a week later. I'm from out of state and I've already asked for time off of work for the long weekend... I'm getting really frustrated. Is sitting down with an advisor from the program a really unusual request? Should I go about this in a different way?

I don't think it's unusual at all...I am just wondering where you are directing your inquiries? The graduate admissions office or the department itself? Whichever one it was I would try the opposite. My technique is usually to just keep calling numbers until I get a live person and get answers...but I am very impatient lol. Good luck!

Hi,

I was just accepted to NYU and I'm still waiting on my decision for Hunters program. I would like to get opinions from people about the pros and cons to each. Besides money, the actual coursework, job opportunities, etc.

Did anyone get into Hunters program yet?

I'm leaning towards Hunter, if I get in, unless I receive money from Nyu.

Thanks!

Congrats, SassyChica! Which track did you get accepted into (school, community)? I've got a basic understanding down about the mental health and wellness program at NYU (very multicultural/diversity oriented, leads to licensure, etcetc) but I don't know anything about the Hunter program so I can't really help compare/contrast. I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for looking for (other than cost/curriculum/what the program leads to)- have you tried emailing the department to get specific questions answered? They may also be able to put you in contact with a current student in the program, which may be helpful as well.

Angelwinks: I heard a few weeks back about TC scholarships/funding. I got an email letting me know how much they were offering me; there's also a link on their application website. Perhaps it's different for people who they actually give funding to and not just loans :rolleyes: but I'd try logging onto their website, or maybe giving them a call. It's been more than a month since they notified people so it may be worth a try.

Thanks angelwinks16 and yellowsubmarine! I'm very excited. I was accepted into the school counseling program.

Angel- I heard through email. What program did you apply to?

I'm wondering if they send info about their scholarships. Does anyone know about NYU scholarships/ financial aid? I'll try to call the school on Monday. Hopefully I didn't miss anything since I was just accepted.

I wanted to see if someone in one of the programs would give their opinions. Probably a bit of a stretch.

I'm really hope I get into Hunters program. I heard Hunter is a bit more selective. I really liked the vibe when I went for my interview. And of course the price is great. If I receive money for NYU that will make my decision easier.

Edited by Sassychica

So, just thought I'd let all the NYU applicants that I received an acceptance email today; no word on funding. I will be declining.

YS. It does look like it was a mass email. I would call to see what the hold up is. They owe you an answer no matter what they choose. Hopefully you are accepted.

I also received my funding, very little scholarship and the rest loans. Still deciding and waiting on Hunter. Ugh.