MHC/Counseling Psychology Fall 2012

Gvh

denimfan, can I ask what programs you applied to for BC and BU? I, too, applied to both programs, but have yet to hear back from them.

Whoops! Just saw that you applied to BU in the School of Medicine, which explains it; I applied to the School of Education.

YellowSubmarine, I saw that you applied to Minnesota. Have you heard anything yet? (Fellow UofMN applicant!).

Edited by pokeyoaks

Congrats on the interview invite, musiclovepsych! Best of luck at the interview.

Pokeyoaks: Yes! I did apply at Minnesota (School of Ed). I got rejected from their PhD program a few weeks ago but as far as I know I'm still being considered for their masters program. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Have you heard anything?

Pokeyoaks: Yes! I did apply at Minnesota (School of Ed). I got rejected from their PhD program a few weeks ago but as far as I know I'm still being considered for their masters program. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Have you heard anything?

Haven't heard anything yet! Status still says "Awaiting Program Decision." Do keep in touch if you do find out something though! I'll, of course, be sure to do the same. :)

I also got an email last week from Columbia saying that they were no longer offering federal subsidized loans. Which seems a little wacky.

I got that email too but that is a change from the Department of Education, not the school. No matter where you go, grad students are no longer eligible for subsidized stafford loans. Grad students are still eligible for $20,800 per year in unsubsidized stafford loans as well as Federal PLUS loans that allow you to borrow the remainder needed for the cost of attendance including estimated living expenses. This is all per my conversation with someone in the Financial Aid Department at TC. I emailed initially but got antsy so I called to talk to someone. They were very nice and helpful...but it stinks to have to wait until March to know what type of scholarship/grants we are eligible for.

Thanks! I don't know what is my top choice until after interviews, but it is definitely a choice! Interviewing at Denver's counseling program this weekend, which is also a choice.

Nice, fellow Denver applicant here! I can't attend the interview weekend as I live too far away, so I'm having a skype/phone interview sometime next week. Let me know how it is, and good luck! =)

Also, for any Johns Hopkins applicants out there, mass email for interview invites have gone out, to take pace 03/09.

Sigh, if only I could afford an in-person interview! Nah, a skype interview will be scheduled sometime soon =)

Congrats! Is Minnesota a top choice for you?

No word yet. Just ran outside to my apartment's mail center to see if anything came through. Nothing but coupons! :( Fingers crossed it comes sometime this week.

Edited by pokeyoaks

If it's at all helpful, I live a state over (in WI), so it probably just went out on Friday or so... Don't stress out!

Because of tuition reciprocity between Wisconsin and Minnesota, MN is probably my cheapest option (and it's a great program)- it's definitely my most realistic choice right now. :) Where else did you apply?

And a general question for everyone on here: what questions have you guys been asking the programs you've being admitted into? I've been trying to keep a list of questions to ask advisors/financial aid people/current grad students (if I can talk to any).

So I think most of us in here are applying to masters programs. But there's a notification thread around here that seems to be aimed more towards PhD programs, and there's also a great resource on the Student Doctor Network forums:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=872308

I'd check that, and see if your program shows up. And, depending on when their application deadline/interview dates are, it might not hurt to call and ask. Best of luck :)

Thanks for the info YellowSubmarine.

So now I have a new question for everybody. I applied to a handful of PhD program in Counseling Psychology. My outcome was not quite what I was hoping for upon applying, although there is still a slim possibility that I am accepted into one of the programs I applied to/interviewed at. However, I've been doing a lot of "soul searching" of late - trying to consider what ultimately defines success to me. I've always known that with my degree, I've wanted to practice psychology. My dedication to research has been the [?], and so I figured attending a doctoral program, I'd have my options open at the end. I've also always been super driven in the sense that I'd want to pursue what might be considered the "top degree".. However, as time has gone on throughout the application process I've been thinking more and more about the possibility of waking up three years from now, in a doctoral program and realizing how much it is not for me. I really like writing and synthesizing ideas - I know this - however, I just don't know how intrinsic my motivation to conduct research in any capacity actually is. The thought of getting a Masters versus a PhD is like insta-breath-of-fresh-air for me. I feel like it grinds better against my soul (forgive me, I'm not really actually a philosophical/religious person at all). I also think, that it is possible to do pretty well (relatively) financially, coming out of a top Mental Health Counseling Master's program having done well, been pro-active, driven, and properly self-marketed. I also realize this could all be my subconscious dealing with the fact that I will most likely not get into a PhD program this year - except for the fact that I started having these thoughts before this became apparent to me.

Along the application process I was accepted into the Mental Health Counseling MA program at one of the school's I applied to. It looks like the opportunities for assistantships/funding are not particularly uncommon there. Long story short (but not that short), I am highly considering going there, and getting excited about it too. I realize that most of the people on this particular thread are pursuing a masters and for good reason, and I was wondering if you had any input?

PS. If anyone's interested in a stranger's personal definition of success, I've decided that ultimately I want a life where I pushed myself, and I've often lost time and came out feeling fulfilled rather than drained from it. I also hope that my own definition continues to evolve.

Thanks for the info YellowSubmarine.

So now I have a new question for everybody. I applied to a handful of PhD program in Counseling Psychology. My outcome was not quite what I was hoping for upon applying, although there is still a slim possibility that I am accepted into one of the programs I applied to/interviewed at. However, I've been doing a lot of "soul searching" of late - trying to consider what ultimately defines success to me. I've always known that with my degree, I've wanted to practice psychology. My dedication to research has been the [?], and so I figured attending a doctoral program, I'd have my options open at the end. I've also always been super driven in the sense that I'd want to pursue what might be considered the "top degree".. However, as time has gone on throughout the application process I've been thinking more and more about the possibility of waking up three years from now, in a doctoral program and realizing how much it is not for me. I really like writing and synthesizing ideas - I know this - however, I just don't know how intrinsic my motivation to conduct research in any capacity actually is. The thought of getting a Masters versus a PhD is like insta-breath-of-fresh-air for me. I feel like it grinds better against my soul (forgive me, I'm not really actually a philosophical/religious person at all). I also think, that it is possible to do pretty well (relatively) financially, coming out of a top Mental Health Counseling Master's program having done well, been pro-active, driven, and properly self-marketed. I also realize this could all be my subconscious dealing with the fact that I will most likely not get into a PhD program this year - except for the fact that I started having these thoughts before this became apparent to me.

Along the application process I was accepted into the Mental Health Counseling MA program at one of the school's I applied to. It looks like the opportunities for assistantships/funding are not particularly uncommon there. Long story short (but not that short), I am highly considering going there, and getting excited about it too. I realize that most of the people on this particular thread are pursuing a masters and for good reason, and I was wondering if you had any input?

PS. If anyone's interested in a stranger's personal definition of success, I've decided that ultimately I want a life where I pushed myself, and I've often lost time and came out feeling fulfilled rather than drained from it. I also hope that my own definition continues to evolve.

Here's my $0.02 for whatever it's worth...

My ultimate understanding of the field is that if you want to practice and see clients, the best degree is the masters. The PhD is more geared toward research and academia. The PsyD is a more practitioner-based model but still has its share of research. If you are questioning your dedication to research, the PhD track may not be for you and perhaps your acceptance to a master's level program is a blessing in disguise, as it is presenting this new opportunity for you to reach your goal of practice rather than research.

Now here's my disclaimer, because a few of the things you mention in your post raise red flags for me in terms of $$$.

Every professor I have had in the human services/counseling field has cautioned me that if a student is getting into this field to seek financial rewards they are setting themselves up for a big letdown. So when I see you saying that you feel if you come out of a "top program" and are "pro-active, driven, and properly self-marketed" you sound to me like someone who is looking for a big return on investment financially - which may not happen. Many "top programs" are very expensive and are vehicles to fund their doctoral programs. Therefore there are some opportunities for aid, but not many schools fund their master's students the same way they do their PhD programs. Going to a "top program" (I am assuming you mean big name - Columbia, other Ivys) may cost you big money. But it may be worth it to you as long as you are clear on what your goals are and what you hope to achieve.

That being said...I think there are huge rewards in treating clients and becoming a change agent in people's lives (obviously since I am pursuing this degree). It sounds like you are doing a lot of soul searching and that's a good thing. I think you just need to be aware of the fact that this isn't a field where the financial rewards are necessarily outstanding. However there are many ways to find "success" and if you are okay with that and are going into the field for the right reasons than you will be successful!

Also, getting your M.A in Counseling doesn't preclude you from getting your PhD later on. Some programs will transfer credit, etc. You just have to do your home work.

Best of luck to you in whatever you decide. You sound purposeful, thoughtful, and driven and I think you will do well no matter what you do!

Here's my $0.02 for whatever it's worth...

My ultimate understanding of the field is that if you want to practice and see clients, the best degree is the masters. The PhD is more geared toward research and academia. The PsyD is a more practitioner-based model but still has its share of research. If you are questioning your dedication to research, the PhD track may not be for you and perhaps your acceptance to a master's level program is a blessing in disguise, as it is presenting this new opportunity for you to reach your goal of practice rather than research.

Now here's my disclaimer, because a few of the things you mention in your post raise red flags for me in terms of $$$.

Every professor I have had in the human services/counseling field has cautioned me that if a student is getting into this field to seek financial rewards they are setting themselves up for a big letdown. So when I see you saying that you feel if you come out of a "top program" and are "pro-active, driven, and properly self-marketed" you sound to me like someone who is looking for a big return on investment financially - which may not happen. Many "top programs" are very expensive and are vehicles to fund their doctoral programs. Therefore there are some opportunities for aid, but not many schools fund their master's students the same way they do their PhD programs. Going to a "top program" (I am assuming you mean big name - Columbia, other Ivys) may cost you big money. But it may be worth it to you as long as you are clear on what your goals are and what you hope to achieve.

That being said...I think there are huge rewards in treating clients and becoming a change agent in people's lives (obviously since I am pursuing this degree). It sounds like you are doing a lot of soul searching and that's a good thing. I think you just need to be aware of the fact that this isn't a field where the financial rewards are necessarily outstanding. However there are many ways to find "success" and if you are okay with that and are going into the field for the right reasons than you will be successful!

Also, getting your M.A in Counseling doesn't preclude you from getting your PhD later on. Some programs will transfer credit, etc. You just have to do your home work.

Best of luck to you in whatever you decide. You sound purposeful, thoughtful, and driven and I think you will do well no matter what you do!

Sarahmarie - Thanks! Your two cents are each worth lots to me. :)