MHC/Counseling Psychology Fall 2012

Gvh

They have given me until April 15th. They 'encouraged' me to accept earlier, but I'm obviously not going to accept until I can weigh up all my options.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so jealous of all of you, hearing back already from programs! I applied to a few counseling PhD programs just to see what would happen (only the ones with automatic consideration for the masters program), and got rejected straight out from all of them- it's been a waiting game for me since then. But none of the MA programs I applied to even have an interview process... It's going to be a long month. = /

Thanks Denimfan! I think it did! I got an email today saying my application had been "passed on to the Dean's office for final review" - I am hoping to hear back from them in the next week or two. And my interview at Wake Forest is 2/27. This month is excruciating! Good luck to everyone!

For anyone who is interested, University of Denver seemed to have sent out a mass email for interview invites to their MA program in Counseling Psychology, to be taken place 2/25!

Congrats to all! I also got accepted to Columbia TC! Denimfan, how did you get notification about BC? Were you able to pull it up online? I haven't been home in a few days and haven't been able to check my mail. I look on the Agora Portal but it doesn't give a yay or nay...

So glad everyone seems to be getting some acceptances! =) Just thought I'd ask everyone about their options of financial aid. We all know funding is hard to come by for masters-level students, so what are everybody's ideas? Has anyone received some decent funding packages with their offers?

Edited by Gvh

I'm curious about how others are approaching financial aid as well. I applied for aid at most of the schools I applied to (and filled out the FAFSA), but I have a feeling I'm going to be limited to an in-state school if I get into one. I can't find an estimate on tuition at Columbia TC anymore but I remember it being steep, and that they're not great with giving out loans (I'm still waiting on a financial aid package)... I'm not expecting to make enough once I graduate to justify spending that much on my masters degree.

I've found a few loan repayment programs, which I might end up applying for once I graduate. Sadly, I'm still paying off undergrad loans. :(

Sarah, if we all end up at Columbia we should totally save some money and find an apartment in NY together. :)

I'm curious about how others are approaching financial aid as well. I applied for aid at most of the schools I applied to (and filled out the FAFSA), but I have a feeling I'm going to be limited to an in-state school if I get into one. I can't find an estimate on tuition at Columbia TC anymore but I remember it being steep, and that they're not great with giving out loans (I'm still waiting on a financial aid package)... I'm not expecting to make enough once I graduate to justify spending that much on my masters degree.

I've found a few loan repayment programs, which I might end up applying for once I graduate. Sadly, I'm still paying off undergrad loans. :(

Sarah, if we all end up at Columbia we should totally save some money and find an apartment in NY together. :)

Yellow,

I spoke to someone at TC's Financial Aid department today and she said that every student is offered a "generous" package that will cover cost of attendance (including living expenses). It is possible that a majority of that could be loans (Stafford and Grad PLUS) but there are scholarships as well and the deadline is March 15th for the application. Those are decided by the departments and they send that info to Financial Aid. Then FA will prepare an award letter for you and send it your way. So the bottom line (as I interpreted it) is unless you are independently wealthy - it will cost a pretty penny in loans to go to TC. There are some loan forgiveness programs I have looked at as well (National Health Service Corps is one).

I guess the thing that we have to decide (at least in my case) is whether the experience of attending Columbia and living in NYC for 2 years is worth the burden of that debt. Definitely a LOT to think about and something I am really struggling with as well...

Yellow,

I spoke to someone at TC's Financial Aid department today and she said that every student is offered a "generous" package that will cover cost of attendance (including living expenses).

Interesting. I sent an email to FA this past weekend asking detailed questions regarding funding, so I'm hoping to hear back today or tomorrow. I'll let you guys know what is said.

I also got an email last week from Columbia saying that they were no longer offering federal subsidized loans. Which seems a little wacky.

I just got waitlisted at UW-Madison. Not the greatest but I'm not surprised. When I look around at other forums, people seem to know how high up on waitlists they are. Is it kosher to email and ask that sort of thing?

I see no harm in inquiring what your realistic possibilities of acceptance may be. It shows your enthusiasm in attending the program, which is always a good thing.

Edited by Gvh