MHC/Counseling Psychology Fall 2012

Gvh

I heard from NYU yesterday through email for Mental Health Counseling- I was accepted! I also got into BC & Northeastern for M.H. Counseling as well. I don't know which to choose! I've heard NYU's program is not as good as the other master programs out there... and I've heard that BC is better than Northeastern. For now I'm leaning towards BC, but does anyone know more about these programs??? thanks!

Hey Everyone- looks like I'm pretty late in the game! I was wondering if anyone new how competitive Hunter college and Brooklyn college were for MHC compared to NYU/Columbia/ Fordham. I was accepted to columbia, but rejected from NYU :/ and I haven't heard anything from fordham or hunter. I'm trying to get a phone interview for Brooklyn since I go to school out of state and I can't make the group one that was offered. But the bottom line is that based on financial reasons I would like to go to hunter or brooklyn most likely. I guess the NYU rejection got me down even though I was accepted to Columbia tc. QUESTION: how hard is it to get into hunter/brooklyn compared to columbia/fordham/nyu? Is is possibly harder bc a lot of people are looking for a cheaper way to get their education? PLEASE HELP! I basically can't find any info on it! Thanks!

So I don't know whether to be excited or a little upset. I got into Hunter, like I wanted, but I was accepted for the spring semester and not the fall semester. Nyu accepted me for the fall but only with partial funding. So now I'm just trying to decide what I should do. I called Hunter's office and they won't reconsider the offer. I don't want to wait a semester but I guess I have to. If NYU gave me full funding I wouldn't even have this dilemma. A has anyone else made a decision?

Edited by Sassychica

Hey Everyone- looks like I'm pretty late in the game! I was wondering if anyone new how competitive Hunter college and Brooklyn college were for MHC compared to NYU/Columbia/ Fordham. I was accepted to columbia, but rejected from NYU :/ and I haven't heard anything from fordham or hunter. I'm trying to get a phone interview for Brooklyn since I go to school out of state and I can't make the group one that was offered. But the bottom line is that based on financial reasons I would like to go to hunter or brooklyn most likely. I guess the NYU rejection got me down even though I was accepted to Columbia tc. QUESTION: how hard is it to get into hunter/brooklyn compared to columbia/fordham/nyu? Is is possibly harder bc a lot of people are looking for a cheaper way to get their education? PLEASE HELP! I basically can't find any info on it! Thanks!

In regards to your question. I think it is a little harder to get into hunter/ Brooklyn. I can only speak to Hunter but I know they take a very small amount of students every year and since their program is so inexpensive a lot of people apply. I read somewhere that their acceptance rate is 21%. I could be wrong. I know that they must look at different things when weighing the acceptance since Hunter makes you do an interview. Hunter states the following " The admissions committee has filled the fall 2012 spots with applicants who presented as the most competitive in the application pool. Spring 2013 acceptances are given to those applicants are qualified and demonstrate exceptional potential, but may not have been as highly competitive in their application." I honestly think that the interview can either be good or bad. In my case I think it was a little bad because they have an on the spot writing sample, which I think hurt my app. But if you are not that strong of an applicant, going and presenting yourself as highly capable can improve your chances.

Good luck!

Edited by Sassychica

"In regards to your question. I think it is a little harder to get into hunter/ Brooklyn. I can only speak to Hunter but I know they take a very small amount of students every year and since their program is so inexpensive a lot of people apply. I read somewhere that their acceptance rate is 21%. I could be wrong. I know that they must look at different things when weighing the acceptance since Hunter makes you do an interview. Hunter states the following " The admissions committee has filled the fall 2012 spots with applicants who presented as the most competitive in the application pool. Spring 2013 acceptances are given to those applicants are qualified and demonstrate exceptional potential, but may not have been as highly competitive in their application." I honestly think that the interview can either be good or bad. In my case I think it was a little bad because they have an on the spot writing sample, which I think hurt my app. But if you are not that strong of an applicant, going and presenting yourself as highly capable can improve your chances."

Where did you get any of this information? I haven't hear anything from hunter and now I feel like since I didn't that means I didn't get in. I would like to hear a decision either way

Didn't apply to Fordham but I declined my acceptance to TC and NYU over the weekend and I was offered some funding at both schools. I hope it frees it up for those of you still waiting on aid! Heading to FSU in the fall....Go 'Noles :)

Hey Sarahmarie --

I was also admitted to TC for the Master's in Mental Health Counseling program and I am planning to decline my offer as well but I just have a question, out of curiousity, for you if you don't mind answering. When I contacted financial aid they told me that the department doesn't offer their Master's students scholarships, so I was just wondering whether the funding that you mentioned they offered you was a TC scholarship or from the department?

Sorry for being intrusive but I did not find them to be very helpful so I just wanted to confirm that what they told me was accurate!

Hey Sarahmarie --

I was also admitted to TC for the Master's in Mental Health Counseling program and I am planning to decline my offer as well but I just have a question, out of curiousity, for you if you don't mind answering. When I contacted financial aid they told me that the department doesn't offer their Master's students scholarships, so I was just wondering whether the funding that you mentioned they offered you was a TC scholarship or from the department?

Sorry for being intrusive but I did not find them to be very helpful so I just wanted to confirm that what they told me was accurate!

Not intrusive at all...it was a TC Scholarship. Not department specific as far as I know.

Anyone else attending the Masters in Counseling & Mental Health Services at UPenn GSE this fall?

I was admitted to the program - was sad to decline, the professors and admin staff were exceptionally lovely and nice. I'm sure you'll have a great year! =)

So I've officially been accepted to Columbia and Brooklyn college- my hunter interview is on friday. Honestly I'm trying to figure out if it makes sense to turn down Columbia in order to avoid the huge student loans. Honestly I want to practice privately and I'm afraid that I won't be able to get clients unless I have the Columbia name. But I know that the field doesn't pay that much to begin with so i don't want to waste 80 k when i could be paying 15. Does anyone have any thoughts on the private vs public school debate? I wish someone could just tell me i would still be able to get clients if I went public. I don't want to be in debt for the next 20 years unless its absolutely necessary

I was put in a similar situation with Columbia... I'm choosing a state school instead of incurring $100,000 in debt. Starting salaries are not high enough to rationalize paying that much for a masters degree, in my eyes.

I also spoke with several practicing therapists about this issue- and the impression I got was that most patients don't really care where you got your degree from. Of course, quality of training is hugely important- but I don't think you'll have to worry about potential clients deciding not to see you because you didn't go to an Ivy League school.

My recommendation would be to talk to professionals in the field - people working in similar areas/with similar clientele that you hope to someday work with as well. See what they have to say. I know it's a tough choice to make- best of luck to you. :)

I've been accepted by Hofstra and LIU CW Post for their Mental Health Care programs. Does anyone have any input on their reputations or quality of their programs? I do know that Post is CACREP-acredited and Hofstra is not. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Trying to make a decision...

• 4 weeks later...

I believe have narrowed my options down to Fordham University and Teachers College, Columbia University. I am interested in Counseling, with the main goal being to practice, and I would potentially love to teach as well.

I wanted to inquire about opinions from someone I program at TC. To my surprise, as I've been doing my due diligence researching both the school and program, I've found some interesting opinions of the school. Things such as calling the Masters programs there diploma factories used to fund PhD students, and wiling to accept anyone who applies. Also things like anyone in the field would know this and your degree would not be as valuable. This concerns me because I am definitely looking to continue into a PhD program after I complete a Masters degree.

Both these two programs appear to be very similar. The program at Fordham is a MS Ed. in Mental Health Counseling, Teachers College is a Ed. M in Psychological Counseling (Mental Health Counseling Specialization) . Both are two years, and comparable cost wise. Both are APA schools. I have been offered a scholarship from Fordham for about $8,000 for this year.

Can anyone comment on the quality of these two programs, or about the negative things I've heard about TC. I have to decide within a few weeks.

• 9 months later...

Hi there! I realize that you are all probably off at your schools and doing great things but I am applicant for M.A./M.S. Counseling Psychology programs for Fall 2013 and I was wondering if I could get some advice! 

I have thus far been accepted into UPenn's program in their Grad School of Ed as well as Boston University's program in their medical school.  I have an interview coming up at Northeastern University on the 16th and am still waiting to hear back from Boston College.  Does anyone have any thoughts on those programs and how they match up against each other?

Thank you so much!!  I would really appreciate any advice!

• 8 months later...

Hi all,

I am applying for Northwestern's counseling program regular decision. When I went to their open house, the school really emphasized applying early decision because they only accept 24-27 students per year. I was unable to apply early decision.

Did any of you apply regular decision to this program last year? If so, how close to the deadline did you apply? Those who got wait listed or denied, do you think that the date you applied may have affected that decision? That is, do you think you were potentially not admitted due to space issues in the program?

I know this question may be a bit difficult to answer but I thought I would post it anyway, just in case anyone had feedback! Thanks!