Emailing POI

They wanted your SOP? That sounds kinda strange... are they on the adcomm? They want to look at it in advance? Or they aren't and want to offer feedback on it?

Good to know! Do you know if that POI is on the adcomm?

I have no idea. She seemed genuinely interested in my research, which is fairly non-traditional, so I don't think it was, like, a preliminary screening process or anything.

I do kind of regret sending it to her, though, because the paper is still being workshopped.

Wyatt, I upvoted you to cancel your down vote - you are too hard on yourself!

What I MEANT to say to 1Q84 was simply, don't stress.  The app process is super stressful anyway and you don't need to get tied up in knots over little gray areas.  I'm not sure people always help themselves by emailing POIs and I'm not sure they always hurt themselves by not emailing. 

Edited by eyepod

Wyatt, I upvoted you to cancel your down vote - you are too hard on yourself!

What I MEANT to say to 1Q84 was simply, don't stress.  The app process is super stressful anyway and you don't need to get tied up in knots over little gray areas.  I'm not sure people always help themselves by emailing POIs and I'm not sure they always hurt themselves by not emailing. 

I'll second that! I didn't email a single POI last year, and I had a great season.

And please don't read this as a massage of my ego. There are just so many factors that may or may not help you in your applications--you need to do what you can with what you can. The process is as eyepod says: stressful enough already. 

My letter-writer asked me for my WS and SOP and he knows me well-but I feel really guilty because there are some minor editorial errors which I couldn't proofread out of my materials before I sent it--I did mention that my sample and SOP should be treated as a draft and it needs to be polished....

It's so tempting to try to read interactions with POI's like tea leaves to get an idea of where you'll get in, but there's really no use. The only point you'll know if you have been accepted or not is when you're reading the decision email/letter. I've mentioned this before, maybe on this very thread: I was rejected from a program in which I had Skyped with a POI and the DGS looked at my LinkedIn program, and I was accepted into a couple programs with which I had no contact with POI's whatsoever! I think POI interest is a good sign that you are an overall strong applicant, but because they haven't looked at all the applications yet and because you need more than one "yes" vote for an acceptance, it's impossible to know what these interactions really mean in terms of your chances at a specific program.

All that being said, holy shit did I do the same thing! So feel free to ignore my words of caution and freak out accordingly. ;)

Wow, I haven't had any POIs ask me for any materials, though I have had some pleasant responses.  Hmm... not gonna worry about it I guess.

I do have a small question though.  I'm trying to find out some information about Fordham's M.A. in Medieval Studies because their website is hopelessly vague.  I wanted to ask the Director of program about whether they want an SOP or WS at all, since the GSAS requirements make no mention of these things and neither does the Center for Medieval Studies' website.  My problem is kind of embarrassing - I don't know how to address the director because he's a friggin' priest!  Do I address him as "Father Cullen" or "Professor/Dr. Cullen"?   Has anyone else had to do this?  He's not really a POI, but I felt it was too silly a question to start a whole new thread...

It's the only MA program I'm applying to, so I haven't contacted anyone there and wasn't really planning on it except to ask about this.

I don't have an answer for you, but I went to a Catholic undergrad and all of us, including non-Catholics and atheists, called the priests Father even if they had a Ph.D., but that's a different circumstance.  I think you'll probably be fine whatever you use, but I personally would use Professor since it's the title for what he does in the capacity you are interested in.

Edited by lyonessrampant

I don't have an answer for you, but I went to a Catholic undergrad and all of us, including non-Catholics and atheists, called the priests Father even if they had a Ph.D., but that's a different circumstance.  I think you'll probably be fine whatever you use, but I personally would use Professor since it's the title for what he does in the capacity you are interested in.

Thanks, lyonessrampant!  A very helpful answer once again.

Wow, I haven't had any POIs ask me for any materials, though I have had some pleasant responses.  Hmm... not gonna worry about it I guess.

Well, and I haven't even contacted any POIs--imagine the shame I'm bringing on my house!

I kid, I kid. Buttressed by stories of successful admits without POI contacts and on the recommendation of faculty (who are also giving me the skinny on who's taking students and who's retiring, etc.--Old English is a small field), I decided I needed one less damn thing to worry about in this process and skipped that step entirely.

Well, and I haven't even contacted any POIs--imagine the shame I'm bringing on my house!

I kid, I kid. Buttressed by stories of successful admits without POI contacts and on the recommendation of faculty (who are also giving me the skinny on who's taking students and who's retiring, etc.--Old English is a small field), I decided I needed one less damn thing to worry about in this process and skipped that step entirely.

Most if my queries have been pretty lame. I hate schmoozing, but I've gotten some pretty important questions answered regarding "fit" and stuff like whether the POI will be around, if an OE professor will be around, etc. I also got sent a syllabus-in-the-works from one POI, which made me a lot more interested in a school I had been overlooking for a while.

Not stressing over it now though -- one of my profs was really pushing me to start hitting up all these people at all these schools ("you should really contact so and so") but it's good to hear that not everyone's on that same mantra, which I was getting kind of sick of hearing. When there's someone I'd REALLY like to work with I ask if they'll be around next Fall and maybe ask something about the medieval studies community at that school. But there's plenty of schools where I feel no need to ask anything but to clarify technicalities about the application.

On the other hand, it'd be kind of bad to enroll at a school to work with someone only to find that they won't be there or are trying to not be there -- there was one POI/DGS I contacted who said he was trying to be on leave next year, which isn't on his profile on the department's site. Still applying there, because there are other people there who I'd love to work with but, hey, I wouldn't have known that if I hadn't contacted the guy. He also gave me a very honest assessment of what the school is and isn't good for, which was helpful for me to figure out how to diversify my applications and options, as well as for understanding the character of that program a little better. My SOP to that school (which happens to be a Very Selective And Well Regarded Institution), will probably be that much stronger because of that interaction.

• 8 months later...

Bringing back this thread with a slightly different question -- any advice on contacting a POI outside of application season?

I'm just starting my MA, so I won't be applying to PhD programs for over a year. This particular POI does EXACTLY the sort of work I want to do (and after a lot of research into different programs, their research is far and away the best fit with my own -- there are very few who I've found that work in my sub-field, let alone this closely). They're also a fairly big name, though, so I imagine lots of highly qualified people want to work with them.

By no means do I want to pester this prof. My goal isn't even so much to contact them with an eye on PhD admissions. I'm just legitimately interested in building a correspondence with them about their research (even if I don't end up working with them, their work will continue to be formative for me and our research paths will almost certainly continue to cross). I've had a professor suggest that if I have a conference paper or publication that cites the POI, to try sending it to them/asking for their thoughts on what I've done with it, or that I try contacting them with an insightful/intelligent question about one of their publications.

I know that as a grad student, you're theoretically a young, professional academic, and professional correspondence like this probably happens all the time. That being said, I also know that I don't want to overstep and come across as irritating/arrogant. Would appreciate any thoughts you have. :)

It's all about exigence, erosanddust! I wouldn't make up a reason for an email, and I really wouldn't send a paper and ask for feedback. If the professor has a recent publication, though, go ahead and ask a question. The trick is the question has to be smart but not presumptuous. It's a tricky genre (go to any Q&A at a conference, and you'll see that most academics haven't really mastered the honest inquisitive question).

I have emailed some of the scholars in my field for various reasons, including offering to help out on a committee they head, asking for connections when putting together a conference panel, requesting a PDF of a book chapter I can't find via library databases, or seeing if they could speak at a student event (with an honorarium). I actually find the best way to make a connection is to meet the person offline at a conference, and then email a follow-up "it was nice to meet you let's be BFF's kthxbye" note afterward. 

Thanks so much, proflorax! Some helpful advice as I begin to navigate the scary world of networking.

It's funny you mention conference Q&As, as that's precisely the sort of forced communication that I have in mind to avoid ("Your paper sort of reminded me of my own recent work on *long winded explanation that is mostly unrelated.* Wait, this is supposed to be a question, isn't it? Uh, what're your thoughts on what I said?" Or worse, "This is more of a comment, but ..."). :P

I've had good experiences emailng the heads of MFA/English programs at Ohio State, West Virginia University, Northern Kentucky, University of Dayton, and Cleveland State.

It's all about exigence, erosanddust! I wouldn't make up a reason for an email, and I really wouldn't send a paper and ask for feedback. If the professor has a recent publication, though, go ahead and ask a question. The trick is the question has to be smart but not presumptuous. It's a tricky genre (go to any Q&A at a conference, and you'll see that most academics haven't really mastered the honest inquisitive question).

I have emailed some of the scholars in my field for various reasons, including offering to help out on a committee they head, asking for connections when putting together a conference panel, requesting a PDF of a book chapter I can't find via library databases, or seeing if they could speak at a student event (with an honorarium). I actually find the best way to make a connection is to meet the person offline at a conference, and then email a follow-up "it was nice to meet you let's be BFF's kthxbye" note afterward. 

I don't even do the follow up note thing much, and usually just go right to FB once I meet someone in person. Maybe I'm lucky, but I've managed to make good contacts that way. (Nothing thrills me quite like when one of them likes a post about something school/research related).

I don't even do the follow up note thing much, and usually just go right to FB once I meet someone in person. Maybe I'm lucky, but I've managed to make good contacts that way. (Nothing thrills me quite like when one of them likes a post about something school/research related).

Good point! I could see this more acceptable in our field (rhet/comp with a digital emphasis). But yes: being Facebook friends with Melanie Yergeau is how I ended up presenting on a panel with her (remotely) at Computers and Writing this year! I try to add scholars who I meet offline and seem very friendly, and I have since had really interesting discussions with some leading figures in my field about teaching, parenting, and dogs. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

So I recently reached out to a POI at one of my top choice institutions. I just said a few sentences about my project and now she wants a "full proposal." I'm not quite sure what a full proposal means or what it should include. Is this a good sign that she'll undertake me? Or is this normal for POIs to do and I'm just new to the application process?

Thanks!

BJC

Hi all,

So I recently reached out to a POI at one of my top choice institutions. I just said a few sentences about my project and now she wants a "full proposal." I'm not quite sure what a full proposal means or what it should include. Is this a good sign that she'll undertake me? Or is this normal for POIs to do and I'm just new to the application process?

Thanks!

BJC

That's definitely a positive! You've clearly prompted a reaction like this...

you-had-my-curiousity.jpeg?w=648

But seriously, it's a good thing. She's likely looking for a 300 - 500 prospectus. After doing a quick Google search, this overview of a prospectus from Wichita State seems pretty solid. She wants to see an outline and your proposed methodology. How you're going to go about doing your research, and what you're hoping to achieve. It sounds more difficult than it is -- you're just demonstrating that you can do more than pitch an idea.

Good luck!

Thanks! The website really helped. I'm working on the proposal now and am hopefully sending it to England within the week. I think that should be an appropriate amount of time to polish it. 

• 9 months later...

Reviving this thread to simply ask if all of this advice should/can be used for Lit programs? I read elsewhere that STEM programs like potential students to contact POI's more than Lit/Humanity fields.

On 5/25/2016 at 10:24 AM, BlackRosePhD said:

Reviving this thread to simply ask if all of this advice should/can be used for Lit programs? I read elsewhere that STEM programs like potential students to contact POI's more than Lit/Humanity fields.

I don't think it's expected or even necessary. If you have a specific question and/or are unsure about how your research goals/interests would be accommodated, emailing a POI can be productive way of 'sending out feelers' for a program you're considering sinking money into applying to spend more than half a decade of your life in. I think, of the schools I actually ended up applying to, I only contacted POIs at two, which includes the one I ended up at. I was very unsure about whether this program would be at all accommodating for research in my field, and emailing POIs here helped convince me to apply. It can also be helpful if you're not entirely sure that you fit the requirements of a specific program or track within that program, like having enough language skills under your belt or something like that. 

Personally, I don't think it makes sense to waste a professor's time, though, if you can't really think of anything to say except to tell them that you exist. When I was applying, I had an advisor who was really pushing me to get in contact with *everyone*, and I really don't think that's necessary, especially if you don't really have any specific questions or concerns. 

Yeah, I've flip-flopped on this question a bit (one of many application-related questions I've dithered about). I don't think it's a waste of time, per se, but one thing it can do is give you a false sense of optimism. Sure, optimism is great in general, but if a POI responds positively, saying that he/she finds your work/approach/methodology/thoughts etc. interesting, you're naturally going to assume that you've got someone in your corner...and that's usually not the case. I had a professor love my proposed course of study, and express a great deal of interest in working with me, but at the end of the day, I simply didn't make the cut at the program in question, even though this professor is quite well-regarded and would probably have some clout. He wasn't on the adcom, so it didn't really matter what he thought, frankly.

Having said all of this, my gut tells me that establishing some kind of rapport with professors whose interests closely match your own isn't a bad thing. As one of the professors at my current institution suggested, "focus on the people more so than the program." While there's a bit of a balance that needs to be struck, she's not wrong.

You both shared great points. Thanks!

Also, if the school lists the adcom or has somebody that people should direct questions towards, wouldn't it be weird that a student emailed somebody else? I would just fwd the message to the correct person if I was the prof.