0% Confidence of Acceptance

Is anyone else partially hoping for across the board rejections at this point, so you can start over and fix all the things that were (now you can see clearly and glaringly) wrong with your application? Or am I just a masochist?

I haven't even heard anything yet, and this is how I feel already.

If I don't get accepted anywhere, this will be my last time. I didn't really apply to any "over-ambitious" programs. I only applied to ones that I thought would be a great fit, and I worked my ass off to fix all of the flaws from the first time around. I know people get accepted on the third try, but really? Twice is enough for me.

Jbarks, may I ask why you have Indiana listed as an implicit rejection? It seems as though they are not done. I think they just notified fellowship recipients early.

Yes, I was told earlier this week that final admissions decisions had not yet been made and would be done no later than the first week of March. So there's definitely still hope!

Well, I got my official rejection from Boston University, but of course they would be happy to offer me a place in their unfunded MA program. The sad thing is, I'm actually considering it. Anyone else in a similar position?

Well, I got my official rejection from Boston University, but of course they would be happy to offer me a place in their unfunded MA program. The sad thing is, I'm actually considering it. Anyone else in a similar position?

Boston is a really expensive city; I love it here, but it's pricey. Think long & hard about the $$ and what you would hope to get out of the MA. I did it (not at BU) and I'm really happy about the decision, but I don't know that it was the wisest economically speaking.

I say do it and apply for a thousand scholarships, awards, etc. ASAP. That's how I made my MA work. An unfunded MA may be unfunded in name, but I bet there are a lot of ways you could chip away at that $40,000, either through departmental prizes (and I assume there are many intended for MAs) and through the graduate school itself. Not to mention outside sources. If I could squeeze money out of a broke state school, you oughta be able to get BU to cough up something.

Or, they just treat their MA students like revenue streams and statistics, gouge them, and leave them for dead. Do some research and find out I guess.

Thanks. I replied to the email to see what my options are as far as loans and such. I will start looking into scholarship apps stat. I'm moving to Boston come August either way, so I guess my choices are to either hope I find a job somewhere, spend a year unemployed if I don't, or go into serious debt in the MA program. If it's going to help me get into a PhD program next year, I'll go for it.

Yeah, me at UW Madison. There's a thread I started about unfunded MAs that helped a lot - might be worth a peruse.

Depending on how Buffalo decides, I might be left with an unfunded MA as my only option out of phd apps. However, I have the time/lack of a Future to re-apply next year, PhD and MA. It would be wisest to just wait for next year and also weigh potentially funded MA options, yes?

I'll check out the above link, thanks, I had that thread open in a tab but was too distressed to read.

Edited by rawera

Depending on how Buffalo decides, I might be left with an unfunded MA as my only option out of phd apps. However, I have the time/lack of a Future to re-apply next year, PhD and MA. It would be wisest to just wait for next year and also weigh potentially funded MA options, yes?

I'll check out the above link, thanks, I had that thread open in a tab but was too distressed to read.

I've been out of school for a year already, and I know an MA would really improve future PhD apps so I'm doing it regardless. I have some savings I can burn up, and then there are always scholarships and loans. Now the trick is to find the best balance between price and prestige...

Yes, I was told earlier this week that final admissions decisions had not yet been made and would be done no later than the first week of March. So there's definitely still hope!

Thanks, Bdon. That makes me feel better. Also, I just received my first acceptance from UNCG! I've been recommended for a TAship and nominated for a fellowship, so, if the funding works out, I have at least one option.

Thanks, Bdon. That makes me feel better. Also, I just received my first acceptance from UNCG! I've been recommended for a TAship and nominated for a fellowship, so, if the funding works out, I have at least one option.

Congratulations, Jbarks! See, it works out! :) And it looks like you still have plenty of programs left to hear from!

Rawera, I also have the time/lack of a future to re-apply. I just had a really long conversation with one of my professors. He said that it would be a good idea to move to a city with a lot of colleges (that have English graduate programs) and to audit classes/take classes as a non-matriculated student while working some job that can pay the bills. After a year of this, he said, then take GRE's over again, re-apply, and see what happens. This seems like it will be my plan if I don't get into the schools that I'm waiting to hear back from.

I received an email from one of my schools. My heart stopped and I opened it right away only to find that it was a school newsletter from the graduate studies program. Schools shouldn't be allowed to send out newsletters before or during the decision period. It's just too cruel.

Rawera, I also have the time/lack of a future to re-apply. I just had a really long conversation with one of my professors. He said that it would be a good idea to move to a city with a lot of colleges (that have English graduate programs) and to audit classes/take classes as a non-matriculated student while working some job that can pay the bills. After a year of this, he said, then take GRE's over again, re-apply, and see what happens. This seems like it will be my plan if I don't get into the schools that I'm waiting to hear back from.

In my experience, auditing or enrolling in a classes as a non-matriculating student can help a lot. That's what I did after an unsuccessful round of applications last year, and this time I was able to produce a solid piece of writing that I used as my sample.

Kiseki, did you post earlier somewhere that you're doing JET right now? I just did my interview in Houston and think it went well. They asked again about a preference location, and I just said I didn't have a preference. I'm thinking that may have been a mistake... would you mind PMing me when ever you have time? I'd like to hear about your transition from academia, to JET, and back to academia.

Dibs on making next season's 0% Confidence of Acceptance thread. Judging by TripWillis' success it seems like a winning maneuver.

Just kidding, we all know Two Espressoes is 2013's TripWillis.

Haha. Next year we'll just have 45 "0% Confidence" threads going on. :)

Dibs on making next season's 0% Confidence of Acceptance thread. Judging by TripWillis' success it seems like a winning maneuver.

Just kidding, we all know Two Espressoes is 2013's TripWillis.

:rolleyes: Yes, loathing yourself and planning on 0/10 suicide is surely the way to get into your top-choices! I dunno; if I were you guys, I'd ask woolferine, hazelbite, and Mr. Grimwig about their board habits. Also, it seems like not having an avatar and having less than 15 posts is a good way to get into an Ivy. Just an observation.

I agree about Two Espressos' chances of success next year -- kid is gonna tear it up. He/she is like a junior and has expertise and interest in a million areas.

Edited by TripWillis

I'm going out to get drunk and have fun. You should too. (Yes, you.) Put grad apps aside for the night and live your life. The acceptances will wait for you.

I know I'm probably being annoying but it needs to be said. Time to shut the laptop.

I'm getting drunk and having fun right here at home. I figure I probably won't get to use the phrase "go out" a lot in the next 7 years, so I'd better get used to it. I'm also making thai curried mussels. Mmm.