0% Confidence of Acceptance

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm happy for everyone who has gotten in somewhere. I know it has to be extremely relieving and exciting and awesome and life changing. I'm really hoping I can join you guys in the festivities of awesomeness. I do have schools that seem to decision later. None of these applications were due in December, so I haven't been waiting as long since submission. Hope is still alive, but it just sucks when all these schools are reporting and all I can do is think about the possibility of across the board rejections, again.

BTW, to add to the fact I got a 530 on the subject test, I also want to mention that my B.A. is from UMass Boston and I transferred from Berklee. So I am hardly a traditional English major in any respect. Just goes to show it is definitely all about your writing sample and your SoP.

After rejection from Delaware (seemingly the ~3rd worst of 13 schools I applied to) and implicit rejection from Vanderbilt, I'm definitely starting to mull over gap-year options. I'm another non-English major, and I didn't take the Literature Subject Test in time, so I suppose one big thing I could do to bolster my resume and show my commitment is study for and score well on that. Otherwise, I have a good GPA and very competitive General GRE scores, so it's frustrating not knowing exactly what it is I'm lacking in. Thought my writing sample and SOP were both pretty strong, but I figure one good goal for a gap year would be to get something published.

In terms of fit, at least, Delaware and Vanderbilt were not toward the top of that category, so I'm hoping that is indeed a big factor.

Marlowe and TripWillis: congrats on your successes--it's important to keep some positivity in this thread that might easily spiral a self-pity party (me included, natch)!

BTW, to add to the fact I got a 530 on the subject test, I also want to mention that my B.A. is from UMass Boston and I transferred from Berklee. So I am hardly a traditional English major in any respect. Just goes to show it is definitely all about your writing sample and your SoP.

yeah! reppin' umass

I love the Pixies! I hope you get back to Boston, Tripp.

You know, I used to live on Hemenway Street. I probably stood behind you in line at Crazy Doughs :)

I love Crazy Doughs... the potato skin pizza... ridiculous.

If you lived on Hemenway Street, I'm sure you walked by Jacks's Drum Shop once or twice. I worked there for a year and a half. It's gone now. Bought by Berklee. They probably turned it into a fucking WalMart or something...

Juuuuuuuust got my first rejection, which was not particularly a surprise so I'm not really sad about it. The program could not have been any less suited to what I want to do (or where I want to live), but I thought that, being a large state school not too many people apply to, I *may* have had an off-chance for admittance. Another of my programs has started notifying as well, and I'm assuming rejection since I've heard nothing. There is also some ambiguity over whether one of my LOR writers submitted their letter or not, though I never received any notice from the school about it. Neither program was a top choice, not even top 5, but I am a little (a lot) scared over what this means--I thought I was going to get into at least one of these two to be quite honest.

ARRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH this is too real now.

Edited by andsoitgoes161

I don't remember exactly which store front Jack's was, but I think it's a Berkelee owned cafe that puts on live music. I didn't catch the name of the new place, but I bet google map knows.

I was recently at Berkelee for a Chris Cornell concert I paid like 40 bucks to go see. I'm not really a Soundgarden fan, but the show was accoustic and the audience was packed with Berkelee nerds who sang along, perfectly on key, with ever song. It was the best concert I ever saw!

Update: I was wrong, Jack's is now a swanky coffee shop and the coffee shop/live music venue is at 939 Boyleston. We'll hang out there together when we both get in to BU.

Edited by Grunty DaGnome

I cried today after I went out to coffee with my friend. Her parents pay for all her stuff (apt, bills, etc.) and she has a cushy pt job and paid internship, so she bought all of this new stuff, including a pair of boots I've wanted all winter. She was like, "yeah, I love them so much." I've been paying off all of my application fees and gre scores and transcript orders and most likely will be for months. Thinking about spending so much money and not getting in somewhere made me so depressed, I just broke down in my car and started crying, "I WANTED THOSE BOOTS, I LOST ALL MY MONEY."

It's tough wanting the things money can't buy...especially when it sucks up all your money, ironically, and then you can't even get the things money can buy.

If it makes you feel any better, Amazon.com eventually gets every pair of shoes on the cheap, so maybe next month for boots?

I cried today after I went out to coffee with my friend. Her parents pay for all her stuff (apt, bills, etc.) and she has a cushy pt job and paid internship, so she bought all of this new stuff, including a pair of boots I've wanted all winter. She was like, "yeah, I love them so much." I've been paying off all of my application fees and gre scores and transcript orders and most likely will be for months. Thinking about spending so much money and not getting in somewhere made me so depressed, I just broke down in my car and started crying, "I WANTED THOSE BOOTS, I LOST ALL MY MONEY."

This. I have 3 pairs of jeans.

No, 1069 boyleston is a swank coffee shop now. Don't worry, that is still the corner where the most people get hit by cars in Boston, so there's still that element of danger.

Oh, and that nasty as hell Cappy's is still on Westland, so the tradition isn't completely gone from the neighborhood.

Edited by Grunty DaGnome

No, 1069 boyleston is a swank coffee shop now. Don't worry, that is still the corner where the most people get hit by cars in Boston, so there's still that element of danger.

Oh, and that nasty as hell Cappy's is still on Westland, so the tradition isn't completely gone from the neighborhood.

BTW, did you know they filmed a scene from Mystic River in Costello's? I was working that day.

I was depressed earlier this week and one of my friends offered to buy me anything to make me feel better... I told him nothing could make me feel better than being accepted or rejected, just some sort of notification. And now that I'm thinking clearly and not so depressed, I realize what a stupid decision it was to turn him down.

BTW, did you know they filmed a scene from Mystic River in Costello's? I was working that day.

Ok, I'm going to get that film on Netflix. Costello's was pretty awesome. Especially late at night. I guess that nasty pizza place is gone from next door too? I never knew why people ate there after Crazy Dough's opened, but I guess their weird sauce tasted good if you have toxic levels of costello's spirits in your blood.

Ok, I'm going to get that film on Netflix. Costello's was pretty awesome. Especially late at night. I guess that nasty pizza place is gone from next door too? I never knew why people ate there after Crazy Dough's opened, but I guess their weird sauce tasted good if you have toxic levels of costello's spirits in your blood.

Ughhh Little Steve's. I have heard all kinds of horror stories about that place... like the one about them mopping the flattop with the floor mop and the one about cigarette ash in the submarine sandwich... yeah... gross. Had a good date there one time though. Got laid, anyway.