0% Confidence of Acceptance

Strangely, that was the case on the computers at school for me today, but not here on my home desktop.

Yeah, it shows up color coded on my iPod, but not on my laptop (PC). I actually didn't mind the colors; at least the green is nice and bright, and it makes me want an acceptance more so it will be shaded in my favorite color. :D

UGH, here I am, back again. I'm feeling really down today, worried about funding at the one school I have an acceptance from, and facing an implicit rejection from another school. Greeeeeeeeeeeeat. :mellow:

Purely out of curiosity, if you got a funded MA offer from UConn, would you consider going even though you've got a PhD acceptance?

Purely out of curiosity, if you got a funded MA offer from UConn, would you consider going even though you've got a PhD acceptance?

This is something I've been thinking about a lot lately. I'm thinking, should I get funding from a PhD program (ANY PhD program), I'll jump at it, even if it ends up being significantly less than I could get from UConn, simply because I'd have the PhD acceptance in hand. But, if I don't get funding, then I'd start weighing my options. Of course, that would take me getting into UConn first!

This is something I've been thinking about a lot lately. I'm thinking, should I get funding from a PhD program (ANY PhD program), I'll jump at it, even if it ends up being significantly less than I could get from UConn, simply because I'd have the PhD acceptance in hand. But, if I don't get funding, then I'd start weighing my options. Of course, that would take me getting into UConn first!

I think that's a good move; you could even pursue a transfer in the first year to a program with better funding.

Stanford and Berkeley rejections must be coming soon, right? (According to last year's results board it was the 14th/15th.) Sigh.

Stanford interviews go through the 22nd so final answers probably won't be forthcoming until then (again judging by last year's results)

Bdon, you weren't given funding info with your acceptance?

Bdon, you weren't given funding info with your acceptance?

Nope. I was notified early because of a fellowship nomination, which I found out today I didn't get but was named an 'alternate' for. Though I have for sure been admitted, I won't know anything about funding for the next few weeks or so, until the general admits are finalized. So for right now I'm in limbo, and I'm afraid to get my hopes up, in case I don't get in anywhere else.

Man, this is the most bipolar couple of months I've ever experienced. Of course, it doesn't help that my personal life is similarly up and down and different every other day. Ughhhhhhh. Please just let it be April 15th already.

Even when you've gotten in one places, or a couple places, things don't get any less uncertain until you settle on one offer and accept it. Then a whole new crop of uncertainties pop up, it seems! No part of this ride is easy, there are just brief moments of euphoria that stand out for the lucky among us.

Gloomy Gus is Gloomy.

Edited by antecedant

Bdon, I'm with ya. My fellowship from Indiana won't be determined for a while. If I don't get it, I won't know about funding until the rest of the admits are notified...

Nope. I was notified early because of a fellowship nomination, which I found out today I didn't get but was named an 'alternate' for. Though I have for sure been admitted, I won't know anything about funding for the next few weeks or so, until the general admits are finalized. So for right now I'm in limbo, and I'm afraid to get my hopes up, in case I don't get in anywhere else.

Man, this is the most bipolar couple of months I've ever experienced. Of course, it doesn't help that my personal life is similarly up and down and different every other day. Ughhhhhhh. Please just let it be April 15th already.

Even when you've gotten in one places, or a couple places, things don't get any less uncertain until you settle on one offer and accept it. Then a whole new crop of uncertainties pop up, it seems! No part of this ride is easy, there are just brief moments of euphoria that stand out for the lucky among us.

Gloomy Gus is Gloomy.

I'm in the German Literature/Theory pool, but I totally agree with Antecedent's sentiments. I got accepted right off the bat to a great program, but the excitement lasted one night; then I was back to agonizing. I got a rejection yesterday from Princeton, and it was sad but it was a euphoric rush nonetheless...it happened! I applied and a decision was made! I won't be in this hellish limbo forever! I can't wait to be bored as shit and trolling the bars again come April :)

Edited by vertige

Hopefully, you'll find out good news about funding soon. This is actually what scares me the most-- getting accepted, but not being able to afford it. I took out loans for my MA and just finished paying them off. I'm NEVER going through that again!

Acceptances and rejections are starting to come in for the schools I've applied to, and I've still heard absolutely nothing. I vacillate between hoping this means I have a chance of being accepted (knock on wood--yes, I've resorted to being superstitious) and feeling certain it means impending rejections. Endless sighs.

Acceptances and rejections are starting to come in for the schools I've applied to, and I've still heard absolutely nothing. I vacillate between hoping this means I have a chance of being accepted (knock on wood--yes, I've resorted to being superstitious) and feeling certain it means impending rejections. Endless sighs.

Yep, me too. Everyone is like, "I GOT ACCEPTED AND REJECTED FROM THIS PLACE." I am wondering if I submitted any applications at all and this is just a very extensive and detailed dream.

Yep, me too. Everyone is like, "I GOT ACCEPTED AND REJECTED FROM THIS PLACE." I am wondering if I submitted any applications at all and this is just a very extensive and detailed dream.

It's been brought to my attention that three schools are missing the required amount of rec letters in my dossier, even though my online app status pages have shown all necessary documents as received since the beginning of December! Rather than the programs letting me know about any incomplete parts, I had to learn this from two of my letter writers who have emailed me in the past week to say several schools had requested they submit their recs ASAP. Naturally I'm tormented by the thought that, unbeknownst to me, I have nine incomplete apps floating around somewhere that no one has bothered to tell me about, and they're all being declined as I type this. Kind of along the same lines of wondering if I even submitted any applications at all...sigh.

Edited by andsoitgoes161

It's been brought to my attention that three schools are missing the required amount of rec letters in my dossier, even though my online app status pages have shown that all necessary documents have been received since the beginning of December! Rather than the programs letting me know about any incomplete parts, I had to learn this from two of my letter writers who have emailed me in the past week to say several schools had requested they submit their recs ASAP. Naturally I'm tormented by the thought that, unbeknownst to me, I have nine incomplete apps floating around somewhere that no one has bothered to tell me about, and they're all being declined as I type this. Kind of along the same lines of wondering if I even submitted any applications at all...sigh.

If a couple of them had problems, I would check in with the rest of the programs and tell them that some of the programs had problems so you wanted to double check. That's what I did with my transcripts and found out that 2 other schools that did not contact had the same problem as 2 of the schools that did.

Timshel: definitely sound advice, and thank you. I actually tried to contact a few schools when I heard about this, but no one ever got back to me--I imagine AdComs are in the throes of reviewing hundreds of apps and don't have time to get back to inquiries about incomplete dossiers so late in the game. I can only hope that the schools that contacted my letter writers would have alerted me if they were missing something on my end of things. Several of the schools I applied to aren't yet using any sort of online document upload, and I know they received hard copies of whatever they needed...so that puts my mind at ease a bit.

Edited by andsoitgoes161

Timshel: definitely sound advice, and thank you. I actually tried to contact a few schools when I heard about this, but no one ever got back to me--I imagine AdComs are in the throes of reviewing hundreds of apps and don't have time to get back to inquiries about incomplete dossiers so late in the game. I can only hope that the schools that contacted my letter writers would have alerted me if they were missing something on my end of things. Several of the schools I applied to aren't yet using any sort of online document upload, and I know they received hard copies of whatever they needed...so that puts my mind at ease a bit.

I hate that you can't count on all programs to contact you. Do they really think that we paid to submit incomplete applications?

I know, it's ludicrous. I also find it somewhat irking that they wouldn't give everyone a fair shake...one of these programs sent out acceptances this past week, and when I contacted the grad secretary to ask if I should even bother having my letter writer submit her missing document, she wrote back "have letter from Professor x and Professor Y.if you have professor Z send in her letter I will make aure the graduate schools uploads it onto their site." The misspellings, and grammar and punctuation errors are the grad secretary's own. She couldn't even bother to spell check? Gosh, they must reaaaaaally want me.

Edited by andsoitgoes161

THIS. I keep obsessively checking my apps to make sure they all say "submitted." No letters/emails yet...le sigh.