0% Confidence of Acceptance

Wow. I really thought I had prepared myself for not getting those e-mails/phone calls from Michigan and Maryland, but as I sit here a teary mess I'm realizing I apparently did not. Oops.

:( *hug* I haven't been watching Maryland, but Michigan, at least, probably hasn't finished alllllll of their acceptances yet. And there will very likely be a waitlist! But I'm so sorry that you're feeling crappy right now. It's hard to prepare yourself for that kind of (perceived) blow. Be a teary mess if it helps! It's your prerogative.

If it makes you feel any better, I got an email from the graduate school telling me they only JUST THIS SECOND found my other transcript. Hahahaha. Thanks for nothing!

they = Michigan

Edited by thatjewishgirl

If it makes you feel any better, I got an email from the graduate school telling me they only JUST THIS SECOND found my other transcript. Hahahaha. Thanks for nothing!

they = Michigan

Wait, what? So have they not finished reviewing your app yet? Were they just going to forget about your app (without contacting you) if they'd never found it?

Dammit, Michigan, do our $65 fees mean NOTHING to you? Rude.

I have no idea... #1 I had absolutely no assumptions that I was going to get into Michigan. But even so, I have no idea what they did with my application. I sent my transcripts months ago, and they only just got around to posting them to my application Friday and today. I even emailed the English Department and they emailed me back this morning telling me to contact the Grad School again. So, while I did not assume I was getting in there *at all*, it would have been nice to feel like they looked at my app instead of, I don't know, disregarding it? I wish the English Dept would have emailed me back something to the effect of "LOL!!!!!!!" this morning. :)

Wow. I really thought I had prepared myself for not getting those e-mails/phone calls from Michigan and Maryland, but as I sit here a teary mess I'm realizing I apparently did not. Oops.

Oh, skybythelight.  I know that awful feeling.  Last year, I got rejected by UNC Chapel Hill and Maryland (two of my very top choices) within eight hours of each other.  This process can really hurt deeply.  The best thing you can do right now is just give yourself some alone time; if you need to cry, cry it out.  Go for a walk if the weather's not terrible.  If it is, watch some mindless crap on HGTV or Food Network.  Do what you need to do, but try as much as you can not to focus on applications or your email right now.  A rejection by these schools is not a rejection of you as a person, just as a fit this year.  Let yourself grieve, but don't become consumed by it.  You've put a lot of time, effort, and hope into these applications, so it's only natural that you be upset when they don't pan out.  If you need to talk to someone who went through the same emotional roller-coaster last year, send me a PM.

I have no idea... #1 I had absolutely no assumptions that I was going to get into Michigan. But even so, I have no idea what they did with my application. I sent my transcripts months ago, and they only just got around to posting them to my application Friday and today. I even emailed the English Department and they emailed me back this morning telling me to contact the Grad School again. So, while I did not assume I was getting in there *at all*, it would have been nice to feel like they looked at my app instead of, I don't know, disregarding it? I wish the English Dept would have emailed me back something to the effect of "LOL!!!!!!!" this morning. :)

Soooo bizzare. I get that their lives don't revolve around us, but some of the departments are straight-up tacky in their apathy towards applicants. WHATEVER, MICHIGAN.

Srsly. You guys don't want to go to Michigan anyway. All of the undergrads respond to everything with "go blue" and you'll only be committing yourself to 6 years of endless parking tickets if you move to Ann Arbor.

Anyway, datatape says some great, wise, wonderful stuff.

Srsly. You guys don't want to go to Michigan anyway. All of the undergrads respond to everything with "go blue" and you'll only be committing yourself to 6 years of endless parking tickets if you move to Ann Arbor.

Anyway, datatape says some great, wise, wonderful stuff.

Ughhh, I'm from Ohio and I have been hearing "Eww, Michigan, fuck Michigan!" for way too long. Maybe part of me wanted to go to Michigan just to spite the dumbass jocks/OSU fans who bullied me in junior high. Hahaha.

Ughhh, I'm from Ohio and I have been hearing "Eww, Michigan, fuck Michigan!" for way too long. Maybe part of me wanted to go to Michigan just to spite the dumbass jocks/OSU fans who bullied me in junior high. Hahaha.

O

H

(You know what to do!)

Edited by asleepawake

So this is definitely a systemic thing, then? I have a friend who went there for undergrad and, three years later, she still says "go blue!" far more than necessary. She also regularly drives up there for games.

I know I have 1 acceptance already, so I probably should just STFU, but the parade of rejections today is really just cripplingly painful. I have been crying all afternoon and I just hate everything ever. I feel totally unworthy of the 1 that I got because clearly I'm not good enough for anyone else. Ugh, somebody kill me.

So this is definitely a systemic thing, then? I have a friend who went there for undergrad and, three years later, she still says "go blue!" far more than necessary. She also regularly drives up there for games.

Hahahahaha, YES IT IS. I've never noticed that UM people have any of the vitriol that seems to be directed AT Michigan but I have noticed that we are all kind of robotic about school spirit. I've definitely heard "go blue" being used as a kind of "what's up" or "hey."

I know I have 1 acceptance already, so I probably should just STFU, but the parade of rejections today is really just cripplingly painful. I have been crying all afternoon and I just hate everything ever. I feel totally unworthy of the 1 that I got because clearly I'm not good enough for anyone else. Ugh, somebody kill me.

Hey, this shit super sucks.Let those tears out. The feeling of not being good enough for the acceptance you have is so unbelievably legitimate; I got my acceptances over a week ago and I'm still terrified that someone's gonna call me and say "oops, sorry made a mistake." Needing validation is human, but in a month we'll be able to look at this with the eyes of normal, rational people and be thankful and happy that someone is paying us to go to school and think hard and write amazing new scholarship for the next six awesome years.

Also, sounds like you guys have never met any obnoxious Univ. of Oklahoma fans. . .  or lived next door to them and their screeching megaphones that blare the Sooner Fight Song throughout the entire neighborhood every time OU scores (or whatever).

Also, is Oklahoma essentially a foreign country to everyone on the forum? It is okay if the answer is yes.

Edited by thatjewishgirl

Oh, skybythelight.  I know that awful feeling.  Last year, I got rejected by UNC Chapel Hill and Maryland (two of my very top choices) within eight hours of each other.  This process can really hurt deeply.  The best thing you can do right now is just give yourself some alone time; if you need to cry, cry it out.  Go for a walk if the weather's not terrible.  If it is, watch some mindless crap on HGTV or Food Network.  Do what you need to do, but try as much as you can not to focus on applications or your email right now.  A rejection by these schools is not a rejection of you as a person, just as a fit this year.  Let yourself grieve, but don't become consumed by it.  You've put a lot of time, effort, and hope into these applications, so it's only natural that you be upset when they don't pan out.  If you need to talk to someone who went through the same emotional roller-coaster last year, send me a PM.

Thank you so much for this.

Hey, this shit super sucks.Let those tears out. The feeling of not being good enough for the acceptance you have is so unbelievably legitimate; I got my acceptances over a week ago and I'm still terrified that someone's gonna call me and say "oops, sorry made a mistake." Needing validation is human, but in a month we'll be able to look at this with the eyes of normal, rational people and be thankful and happy that someone is paying us to go to school and think hard and write amazing new scholarship for the next six awesome years.

ditto.

Also, sounds like you guys have never met any obnoxious Univ. of Oklahoma fans. . .  or lived next door to them and their screeching megaphones that blare the Sooner Fight Song throughout the entire neighborhood every time OU scores (or whatever).

Also, is Oklahoma essentially a foreign country to everyone on the forum? It is okay if the answer is yes.

I literally only know it as the place where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain. It sounds like an OK place though (BET YOU HAVE NEVER HEARD THAT ONE).

<3 Your feelings are totally valid and real. You are also great and I hope you remember that part soon.

I have had that exact same feeling: ever since my one acceptance, it's been pretty much a parade of rejections, implicit and otherwise, and I often felt like it was just a mistake I got in at all.  But you would not have gotten in somewhere (Penn State, no less!) if they didn't genuinely believe in you and want you there.  They had plenty of choices besides you, but they picked you.  You got this.