0% Confidence of Acceptance

I don't remember if people were discussing it in this thread or a different one, but how soon is too soon after rejection to contact departments with the possibility of receiving feedback on one's application?

the general consensus was to wait until after the april 15 deadline, i think. wait until the current app season dies down. hope this helps!

Bfat, I went to Penn State as an undergrad -- State College is a beautiful, safe, welcoming town. The people are wonderful; everyone is kind; there's plenty of culture despite detractors trying to label it a "middle of nowhere town" (the University's 44,000 students and campus-large-enough-to-literally-have-its-own-zip-code-and-be-its-own-actual-city-size actually ensure an incredible amount of speakers, concerts, and events of all types -- especially those that appeal to academics). In my mind, it is the most wonderful place I've been and I did apply this year, after completing my MA elsewhere, to return to Penn State. They don't often re-accept those who have recieved undergrad degrees there, but I remain hopeful. I hope my offering helps you rest a little easier -- you are headed (so far!) to an INCREDIBLE program in a truly incredible place. Rejoice!
Aw, thanks! I am really excited about the idea of PSU next year. The more I think about it, the more I realize that it really should have been my first choice (especially after talking with a friend at Cornell who is struggling with the compressed time to degree and lack of support beyond the timeline). Maybe it's fate or something. As for all the nastiness.... Ugh. Does the scandal surrounding one man (and his admittedly horrible acts) really affect the reputation of the thousands of others on campus and in the town? I'm really disappointed in the number of people who have said to me, "Oh no! You can't go there! It's full of child molesters!" ... Really? State College has one of the lowest crime rates in the country and is at the top of many "best places to live" lists. Coming from Baltimore, that's important to me and my family.

The scandal was not surrounding just one man. If you followed the story at all, it involved a great deal of other people. Including the student body that protested when actions were finally taken against the people involved in the scandal. If you want to denounce other people for drawing attention to the case, at least get your facts straight.

I personally think it would be preferable not to attend a school, or live in a community, that has been tarnished by that kind of malicious negligence of children's welfare. That doesn't mean I think someone who feels differently is a bad person. Plus it's not like Bfat has a choice in the matter -- she's only received one acceptance and it's either Penn State or no PhD.

It's amazing to me that you guys call what I'm saying "nastiness." Seriously? You don't think that the real nastiness is just going along with all the mindless Penn State worship?

Here's a little valuable reading on groupthink and moral culpability in the case: http://ideas.time.com/2012/07/17/penn-state-cover-up-group-think-in-action/

"it is the most wonderful place I've been" "you are headed (so far!) to an INCREDIBLE program in a truly incredible place. Rejoice!" "here's a small-town kindness in State College exuded by many of the townies that make it feel very welcoming" "I am really excited about the idea of PSU next year. The more I think about it, the more I realize that it really should have been my first choice" "State College has one of the lowest crime rates in the country and is at the top of many "best places to live" lists."

Sure sounds like worship to me.

In a small town environment like that, you have to take the crime rate with a grain of salt. Sure, they probably don't have tons of street crime. But as the Sandusky scandal proves, there's probably a lot of crime that goes unreported.

Edited by DontHate

I broke down and emailed 4 of the 5 programs I've applied to...3 of the 4 were department heads...there, I've broken the seal. Time for me to get pissed on.

Hey now! It ain't over 'til it's over! Perhaps your programs are still deliberating. There's no way to tell just yet! Kudos for having the guts to reach out to the department heads -- that's a tough thing to do when nerves are running so high. Hang in there: you're going to be wherever you most belong. 

So many reports in one short day. 

If someone says something you don't like, you can ignore it and move on. 

I know everyone is tense, but seriously, this English forum is especially vicious this year. 

Please try to behave. If you can't, take a break. If you can't behave and can't take a break, we'll be glad to help you with that.

I broke down and emailed 4 of the 5 programs I've applied to...3 of the 4 were department heads...there, I've broken the seal. Time for me to get pissed on.

I just wanted to clear up that I upvoted in approval of the hilarious sentiment you presented, not that you feel you'll get pissed on.

PSA: Champagne does not condone person-on-person micturition.

Please tell me the latest Brandeis post is either: A. A cruel joke or B. A post where someone forgot to change the date and they were really accepted last Friday. I can't take the hope. I really can't, love them too much.

Oh god, what the hell? It feels like someone is just screwing around with the English applicants this year!

I personally think it would be preferable not to attend a school, or live in a community, that has been tarnished by that kind of malicious negligence of children's welfare. That doesn't mean I think someone who feels differently is a bad person. Plus it's not like Bfat has a choice in the matter -- she's only received one acceptance and it's either Penn State or no PhD.

Boycotting an entire University for something like this keeps other victims and witnesses in other places quiet. It absolutely sends the message that you better not say a damn thing, because you won't just hold the perpetrator(s) responsible, you'll fuck up your entire school/community/family/whatever. Rape happens and is covered up on every college campus and in every city in the world.

Edited by asleepawake

Please tell me the latest Brandeis post is either: A. A cruel joke or B. A post where someone forgot to change the date and they were really accepted last Friday. I can't take the hope. I really can't, love them too much.

Could be that someone rejected an initial offer, so they made a new one.

This is true but not exactly what I want to be true? Not that I'm rooting against people just that I want to be put out of my Brandeis misery sooner rather than later.

Could be that you are somewhere in the running and, if other people drop out, you'll be contacted. Unlike what many people think, the grad cafe results board is often misleading. My fiancee, for example, saw all the wait-lists and acceptances going out to two of her unis last year... and then, at the last minute, they made her an offer. She's not the only one, either. Sometimes I do wonder how these things actually work...

Not that this helps with stress, of course. :D

Could be that you are somewhere in the running and, if other people drop out, you'll be contacted. Unlike what many people think, the grad cafe results board is often misleading. My fiancee, for example, saw all the wait-lists and acceptances going out to two of her unis last year... and then, at the last minute, they made her an offer. She's not the only one, either. Sometimes I do wonder how these things actually work...

Not that this helps with stress, of course. :D

I'm really, truly trying not to think that because if I think that and it's wrong I will have my heart broken all over again by Brandeis. Thank you though.

In other news, looks like Rutgers isn't breaking any hearts or making any days tonight! (Anyone else reliably spell "Rutgers" as "Rugrats" the first time?)