0% Confidence of Acceptance

And Pericles, I would be willing to bet that they aren't interested in explanation because they feel like they don't have to--I assume that in places where Jewish populations are larger, they just assume you already know. Here, we're used to explaining every little detail. Our rabbi painstaking explains things, even though she should know better because she's largely talking to a Jewish audience. But we're just used to overexplaining for the benefit of the dominant culture.
I will have to go to Oklahoma then :) I really am interested in learning, but, despite having a boyfriend with a Jewish grandmother, most of what I know seems to come from the Internet.
Your story reminds me of one of my sorority sisters. She's African-American (both of her parents are African-American and the entire family has dual citizenship), but she was born and raised her entire life in Japan. When she tells people she's from Japan they always think she's just joking and never choose to believe her until she proves she's fluent. I suppose being Black and from Japan is a little less common than being white and from Hawaii though. 
Yes, I can totally sympathize with her! Surprisingly, I'd guess being black and from Japan is just as common as being white and from Hawaii. I only knew one other local white kid when I was growing up (and it turns of he was the product of his Japanese mom's affair with a white guy, his dad was Samoan). There are a lot (by a lot I mean 30% of the population) of white people in Hawaii, but they're nearly all military and usually aren't there more than 3-5 years max. It's very a definitely interesting society, one that I've found from my time on the mainland is completely contradictory to societal norms. Coming from a similar background, I would bet your sorority sister has some very interesting stories!

That is a really interesting story, chaucerettescs! I'm actually really jealous of your experience. I grew up midwest Reform, and starting affiliating Conservative after I met my husband. We do not have a large Jewish population here, and it is definitely an aging one, so I am always jealous of people who have been able to experience a type of Jewish culture, Florida, Boston, etc., that I haven't.

And Pericles, I would be willing to bet that they aren't interested in explanation because they feel like they don't have to--I assume that in places where Jewish populations are larger, they just assume you already know. Here, we're used to explaining every little detail. Our rabbi painstaking explains things, even though she should know better because she's largely talking to a Jewish audience. But we're just used to overexplaining for the benefit of the dominant culture.

Haha, thanks. I wouldn't trade my childhood in Florida for anything. South Florida is, of course, extremely multicultural and so moving to the Midwest (to a teeny tiny town in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan which was 100% white and Gentile) was a major culture shock to me. It was assuaged somewhat when I started going to the University of Michigan which has a wonderfully diverse campus.

I am out of up votes, but I just had to thank you for this post. I was born and raised in Hawaii, but my family background is European/Native American. I've basically had to develop a completely new lexicon over the past 12 years or so, but every once in a while I will say something that throws people completely for a loop. I look white, so everyone just assumes I'm from New England originally. When they find out I'm from Hawaii I get this ridiculous line of questioning that none of my Flipino, Samoan, Japanese, etc friends would ever receive just because, apparently, you can't be from Hawaii and not be Asian.

Anyway, I know how you feel in a way, and I was especially happy you shared your experience because I really like hearing about people who grew up surrounded by Jewish culture. I find it fascinating, but I didn't meet anyone who was Jewish until I was 17. I often come across Jewish traditions, etc. in the Boston suburbs that don't really make sense to me, but can rarely find people willing to explain things that are so familiar to them (I guess it's so ingrained there's no way to articulate it to someone with no background in that society). Anyway, thanks!

You're welcome! The experiences being shared in this thread are fascinating. I'm sorry you've gotten the weird line of questions, too. It's bizarre to me that people try to make others fit into their own preconceived ideas, instead of just taking each other at their word and actually learning something.

(I should note however that my CV is VERY bare; 2 presentations [both at my home institution], 2 summer programs [one at my home institution], 2 scholarships, and my part-time employment since college that primarily consist of journal editing and web development work.)

So I don't think it's utterly crucial (and for all I know it doesn't make a difference) that everything on your application and CV match perfectly with what you now know you want to research. In fact, I think the opposite (being too focused and too set) can hurt even more because it shows that an applicant is not willing to be flexible with changes in research, advice from faculty, knowledge from classes, etc. 

I'll finish off to just say that I consider my CV a supplement, not a major portion, of my graduate applications. And that's the way a lot of programs tend to frame it. Your SOP and writing sample should tell the story, and the CV is more of a nice anecdote to maybe further supply that you're ready for graduate level work. And as I mentioned above, my CV is quite bare, so in terms of telling the story it doesn't in any way at all encompass my ideas and preparation for grad work. My transcript does a better job of that than my CV.

Mine is pretty bare as well (a couple essay awards, a creative writing fellowship, three presentations/guest lectures all at my home institution or the local community college, and one publication in my home institution's online repository; unfortunately, no summer research to speak of or related part-time jobs [i took whatever part-time jobs I could get to pay for school] AND when applications were due, one of those presentations, one of the awards, and the fellowship weren't on it so the version adcomms got was REALLY bare). Thankfully, I think my CV demonstrates an evolution toward my core period of interest (my presentations go guest lecture on Elizabethan Anti-Semitism in 2009 --> Video presentation on the influence of Moby Dick on Sci-Fi Horror Film for a library donor event in 2012 --> upcoming guest lecture on Orientalism in Jane Eyre), but I agree with you in thinking that a CV is too supplemental to give a truly accurate snapshot of my interests/potential for grad work.

This is something about my application (particularly CV + transcript) that I feel I did particularly well. The department here is VERY British oriented and this is reflected in our graduation requirements (out of all our required courses, 5/11 of them are British literature topics; meanwhile only 2/11 are American literature topics), so I've had to fight tooth and nail so squeeze in as many American literature courses as I could. But I've also known that I wanted to work with American literature (and race) since deciding on grad school sophomore year. Meaning everything I've done since then (symposium presentations, summer research) for the most part have revolved around the same broad area(s).

(I should note however that my CV is VERY bare; 2 presentations [both at my home institution], 2 summer programs [one at my home institution], 2 scholarships, and my part-time employment since college that primarily consist of journal editing and web development work.)

So I don't think it's utterly crucial (and for all I know it doesn't make a difference) that everything on your application and CV match perfectly with what you now know you want to research. In fact, I think the opposite (being too focused and too set) can hurt even more because it shows that an applicant is not willing to be flexible with changes in research, advice from faculty, knowledge from classes, etc. 

I'll finish off to just say that I consider my CV a supplement, not a major portion, of my graduate applications. And that's the way a lot of programs tend to frame it. Your SOP and writing sample should tell the story, and the CV is more of a nice anecdote to maybe further supply that you're ready for graduate level work. And as I mentioned above, my CV is quite bare, so in terms of telling the story it doesn't in any way at all encompass my ideas and preparation for grad work. My transcript does a better job of that than my CV.

You got into UChicago and Brown and complain about a 'bare' CV? I don't think so.

You got into UChicago and Brown and complain about a 'bare' CV? I don't think so.

Sounds pretty bare to me. I think the point is that having a bare CV doesn't preclude you from getting great acceptances. I didn't get into anything near as awesome as Brown and Chicago, but my CV is definitely nothing to get excited about. I would never consider it a super important part of my application, especially considering how many applications listed it as optional.

Here's bare for ya: I have NO conference presentations and NO essay awards (not since high school, my friends), and NO academic publications and not even a research assistantship. That's an actual bare CV. The rest of you don't even know the meaning of bare.

I wouldn't say complaining... I'm more thankful than anything else. In fact, I debated not even making one for the sheer fact that it only seems to emphasize that there's not much there.

Sounds pretty bare to me. I think the point is that having a bare CV doesn't preclude you from getting great acceptances. I didn't get into anything near as awesome as Brown and Chicago, but my CV is definitely nothing to get excited about. I would never consider it a super important part of my application, especially considering how many applications listed it as optional.

Exactly. This is why I don't think a CV is a make-or-break application component. A good CV can only help - but won't make up for deficiencies in a sample/SOP - and a sparse CV isn't the end of the world. Granted, that vary for between programs or for applicants with MAs, but I agree that I have nothing to complain about thus far. 

Here's bare for ya: I have NO conference presentations and NO essay awards (not since high school, my friends), and NO academic publications and not even a research assistantship. That's an actual bare CV. The rest of you don't even know the meaning of bare.

same.

And you call that bare?

Haha, well, I did say a lot of the stuff on my CV only appeared over the last couple months. The CV that got sent to adcomms was pretty bare. After apps were due, suddenly BOOM I start winning things and get offered the chance to do a guest lecture related to my area of interest and I'm just like craaaaaap, this couldn't have happened a week earlier?

I actually tried, in the middle of January, to email the programs about the possibility of sending in an updated CV (whether that was allowed or appropriate) and the only ones who got back to me were Duke (who responded right around the time they were making decisions, which was surprising to me) and they said Yes and Michigan who said No.

Edited by chaucerettescs

I wouldn't say complaining... I'm more thankful than anything else. In fact, I debated not even making one for the sheer fact that it only seems to emphasize that there's not much there.

Exactly. This is why I don't think a CV is a make-or-break application component. A good CV can only help - but won't make up for deficiencies in a sample/SOP - and a sparse CV isn't the end of the world. Granted, that vary for between programs or for applicants with MAs, but I agree that I have nothing to complain about thus far. 

While I definitely agree that it isn't the most important part of the application, I think the CV can really help if you can use it to complement your transcripts--to highlight what's already there. Being Phi Beta Kappa and graduating with Highest Honors are honors I wanted to advertise, for instance, and I think my CV helped me with that. I also used that space to list the two conferences I've presented at during my MA, which ended up being really useful. A professor I interviewed with recently asked me about one of the papers I presented because the title I listed on my CV caught his eye. That turned into a really great conversation. The CV also gave me space to show that I made an effort to submit a paper for publication. I really don't think anyone expects you to get published, but I think showing you made the effort to submit isn't a bad thing to do.

Edited by cicada123

So, about sending updated application material: I've sent an email to the Dept secretary of my programme to ask her whether they had gotten my official transcripts, and she never replied. Too busy? Doesn't care? Doesn't know? Doesn't want to contact anyone as long as decisions are still not made?

Any idea, anyone?

So, about sending updated application material: I've sent an email to the Dept secretary of my programme to ask her whether they had gotten my official transcripts, and she never replied. Too busy? Doesn't care? Doesn't know? Doesn't want to contact anyone as long as decisions are still not made?

Any idea, anyone?

I'm wondering this myself. It surprised me that only Duke and Michigan got back to me about the updated CV. Not a peep from anyone else for a month. I was thinking its that they're just too inundated with e-mails/too busy to get back in touch, but it still surprised me that Duke DID bother to on the day acceptances starting going out (and that they said yes. Why would they do that when decisions had already been made? Clerical error? Cruel joke?)

Edited by chaucerettescs

My confidence is at an all-time low right now. This weekend was brutal--like many folks on here, I'm assuming that UNC, Brown, and Cornell are all a "no" at this point. So, 3 of those + 2 official rejections + 2 "never had a chance"s (Stanford and UPenn) = 7/11 schools that I'm kissing goodbye. Nearly 8/11, since Michigan should probably go into that last category. So unless UW-Madison*, IU-Bloomington or Rutgers-New Brunswick wants me, I'm out this season. Womp womp.

Arrrgghh I know I'm being SUPER NEGATIVE and I hate it because I'm usually a pretty sunny person! Or at least I try to be. Sorry for being a buzzkill. I just need to vent a little.

*I wrote to them on Friday but I haven't heard anything back...?? I'm starting to wonder if I exist at all.

Well, today is only Monday, so you need to give them some time. I never got a response either and sent mine over a week ago.

At this stage, there is literally nothing you can do. Except wait, and hope. And maybe, just in case, look for a job.

Sad, I know, but that's what I am doing actually.

Well, today is only Monday, so you need to give them some time. I never got a response either and sent mine over a week ago.

At this stage, there is literally nothing you can do. Except wait, and hope. And maybe, just in case, look for a job.

Sad, I know, but that's what I am doing actually.

Eh, someone else posted that UW-Madison had responded to their email very quickly, so I was hoping to have the same luck. I certainly wasn't complaining. Perhaps they wrote to a POI--I wrote to Robyn Shanahan.

I already have a job (how else could I have blown $1500+  on applying to grad school?), so I'm counting my blessings in that respect! Thanks for the reminder. What kind of jobs are you looking for? Just making small talk, hah. Also, shoutout to Notre Dame! My dad went there. :)

I already have a job (how else could I have blown $1500+  on applying to grad school?), so I'm counting my blessings in that respect! Thanks for the reminder. What kind of jobs are you looking for? Just making small talk, hah. Also, shoutout to Notre Dame! My dad went there. :)
I have nothing to contribute. I just want to agree re: needing a job to be able to apply. Even with a job, with all the money I spent on apps I still haven't been able to afford news clothes/shoes in over a year. My coworkers are probably starting to wonder if I'm a hobo, lol.

I am not actually a full student at Notre Dame, just a visitor. Glad to hear you have jobs. I don't. 1500 dollars seems so excessive. What about people who are great students but can't afford to apply? Are there fee waivers?

Can't wait to hear from my own programme.

I am not actually a full student at Notre Dame, just a visitor. Glad to hear you have jobs. I don't. 1500 dollars seems so excessive. What about people who are great students but can't afford to apply? Are there fee waivers?   Can't wait to hear from my own programme.
Yeah, that's (fee waivers) how I applied when I was an ug. Between studying for GREs, taking GREs, mailing GREs, paying app fees, requesting transcripts, etc... that all adds up really quickly. :(

I have nothing to contribute. I just want to agree re: needing a job to be able to apply. Even with a job, with all the money I spent on apps I still haven't been able to afford news clothes/shoes in over a year. My coworkers are probably starting to wonder if I'm a hobo, lol.

Yes, I don't know what I would have done if my job hadn't made me a full-time employee juuuust in time for application season. I get no financial support from my parents (or emotional, for that matter) so it would have been impossible to apply otherwise. I remember having to wait for a particular paycheck before I could register for the Subject test. Oy! Somehow things balanced themselves out, though--I didn't have any money to eat or go out in October through December, but hey, I didn't have any time for those things anyway because I was too busy working on my applications!  ;)

I am not actually a full student at Notre Dame, just a visitor. Glad to hear you have jobs. I don't. 1500 dollars seems so excessive. What about people who are great students but can't afford to apply? Are there fee waivers?

Can't wait to hear from my own programme.

Glad to hear that you could afford to apply without a job! As I said above, I couldn't. There are fee waivers, and I suppose I could have qualified for some of them. It would have felt dishonest to me when I knew I could afford it as long as I made some large sacrifices. Surely there were students who needed the fee waiver more than I did. Again, you are lucky that you didn't have to worry about this.

What's up with Penn!! Two wait-listers and three email acceptances, two of which are international? Seems odd. I do hope they'll be making some phone calls this evening for domestic acceptances. I haven't been able to focus on anything all day.

Yeah, that's (fee waivers) how I applied when I was an ug. Between studying for GREs, taking GREs, mailing GREs, paying app fees, requesting transcripts, etc... that all adds up really quickly. :(

Don't forget the ridiculous Interfolio fees! I would've been happy to forgo that service, but one of my recommenders hinted that she'd be less likely to give a recommendation if I didn't use it. Hmph. It really does add up. I made a spreadsheet to keep track of all the expenses, what I had already paid, the state of my savings, etc. When I look at it now I just want to cry, hah. I could've gotten that new laptop that I so desperately need (to the extend to which anyone "needs" a laptop) instead of failing miserably at applying to grad school.

Our experiences seem very similar it's (not). I almost didn't get a Saturday test for the GRE because I had to coordinate with my bills, lol. I avoided the subject test completely. If have to apply again I might try to re-take the general, but I'd really have to weigh if it was worth all the time/money/stress. I'm not gonna lie, I may or may not be paying off a few Christmas presents I had to charge to make those 12/15 and 12/31 app payments.