0% Confidence of Acceptance

Thanks! I know a lot of the schools I applied to were a long shot but I just needed to get it out of my system and vanquish the "what if" gremlin that would have holed up in my head if I didn't even bother to try. Even though they were long shots--it still stings. I am definitely trying again next year and focusing on more specific programs. I have heard that they choose people based on interests in particular years to fill gaps--which does make me feel a little bit better. I will definitely take your advice if my last two don't work out. 

DHEnthusiast - I also applied with a DH focus and there were a lot of schools I found with great DH programs, maybe my list will help you jump-start your own research for next year:

UCLA, UVA, Maryland, UCSB, Wisconsin, Iowa, Florida, Nebraska, Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Washington, Michigan

I had a lot more success at schools that were actually good fits than at schools where I was sort of stretching the DH opportunities they'd have for me.

DHEnthusiast, I don't know if it's a school you've applied to, but UCF offers a Ph.D. in Texts and Technology that sounds like it might be up your alley: http://tandt.cah.ucf.edu/

Thanks! Def looks like a program to look into if this year doesn't work out! That was one thing I was struggling with when I picked programs to apply to this year, do I apply to a technology based PhD programs or do I stick with English and work on DH from inside those institutional programs. Thank you guys for all of the support.

DHEnthusiast, I don't know if it's a school you've applied to, but UCF offers a Ph.D. in Texts and Technology that sounds like it might be up your alley: http://tandt.cah.ucf.edu/

seconded. plus they've got Greg ulmer.

Saginaw state has Geoff carter, whose work you might find interesting.

ASU seems to have a strong program with a great, related conference. &, of course, I think UCR is a solid fit

Don't ignore the long shots. Seriously. You never know. Just be sure you're not applying for the sake of it--that there actually is a remarkably good fit. But given that, don't ignore the long shots since you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. 

Does anyone know if rejections have gone out for U Michigan Ann Arbor (English Lang and Lit) or U Indiana Bloomington? They're the last two I'm waiting on, and I know that their acceptances have been sent, but I haven't seen if their rejections have gone out. I would like to be put out of my misery, haha.

Does anyone know if rejections have gone out for U Michigan Ann Arbor (English Lang and Lit) or U Indiana Bloomington? They're the last two I'm waiting on, and I know that their acceptances have been sent, but I haven't seen if their rejections have gone out. I would like to be put out of my misery, haha.

I haven't seen anything on the boards for U Michigan rejections. I applied and haven't heard anything yet. Have you created a Wolverine friend account to check your application status online? My information is listed in there but it all seems pretty ambiguous.

I haven't seen anything on the boards for U Michigan rejections. I applied and haven't heard anything yet. Have you created a Wolverine friend account to check your application status online? My information is listed in there but it all seems pretty ambiguous.

I'm in the same boat. My Wolverine friend account doesn't list anything about application status. Ouf.

Hah, I am in the exact same boat! Those two are the only thing keeping me from officially accepting my UNC offer. I assume that it will be only one and I am already mentally committing to it, but it feels wrong to accept an offer before my other applications are neatly squared away. I can't imagine what I'd do if one of those schools came through this late in the game--especially Michigan. But that's OK, because it's definitely not going to happen (for me). Here's hoping we hear soon!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Well, now that apps are in, I think it's time to revive this thread because I'm definitely feeling like I'm at 0% right now.

Not fishing for reassurance but I'm actually quite concerned about my chances. Not sure if I overshot and applied to a bunch of top-tier programs that'll just shut me out and I'll be stuck with a year of doing nothing (and have to leave the US and go back to Canada for it).

Anyone else have any crippling anxiety about their chances?

Well, now that apps are in, I think it's time to revive this thread because I'm definitely feeling like I'm at 0% right now.

Not fishing for reassurance but I'm actually quite concerned about my chances. Not sure if I overshot and applied to a bunch of top-tier programs that'll just shut me out and I'll be stuck with a year of doing nothing (and have to leave the US and go back to Canada for it).

Well, there's some solace to be found in knowing that it's largely a crapshoot. So long as you're a reasonable candidate, nine applications should probably bring about at least one acceptance. It's anyone's guess, of course, and it's mostly subjective...subject to the combination of analysis and whim of the adcomms. You know this, of course, but it's worth saying it again regardless!

No, not crippling anxiety. But I do have moments (and sometimes hours) where I explore worst case scenarios...and they're all very bleak. I don't have a plan B. That's by design, of course, but still...working without a net is daunting. And I'm too old to just give it another year. Even as I write this, I was trying to think of some temporary plan B to put in this post as a placeholder, but nope...there isn't one. I really don't know what I'm going to do if I don't get in. So...I'd better get in somewhere! I think my application is strong in most areas, and the weakest part (the GRE subject score) only applies to seven of the seventeen programs I applied to. And it's not so bad as to make me a "cull candidate."

I'm a bit concerned about how my state of mind will be after the holidays, however. When I've got things to keep me occupied, moments of despair are just that -- moments. But when I've got a couple of dead weeks, as nice as it will be to have a break, I just know that my mind will be reeling from the impending decisions. Again, I think I'm a strong candidate and should get in somewhere...but the sheer subjectivity of it all is what adds to the stress. A great GPA, excellent LORs, clear and engaging WS, interesting SOP, great undergrad institution, unique background etc...none of it is a guarantee of getting in anywhere. Like...NONE of it is. Not even all those things combined! There's just no way of knowing. I guess there's some solace in that too, however!

Thanks for the kind words. I really am at this point just hoping for one acceptance.

But I do have moments (and sometimes hours) where I explore worst case scenarios...and they're all very bleak. I don't have a plan B. That's by design, of course, but still...working without a net is daunting. And I'm too old to just give it another year. Even as I write this, I was trying to think of some temporary plan B to put in this post as a placeholder, but nope...there isn't one. 

This is my situation as well. I'm certainly no spring chicken, so when one of my professors said, "it doesn't have to happen this year," I grimaced a bit. Given the 5-6 year range of a Ph.D., I really don't think I can leave it another year before beginning. 

It certainly sounds like you've covered all your bases, so that's great. Cast a wide net and you have a really strong application. I'm more than certain you'll get into a couple!

Yes, yes, and yes. But I've been working to convince myself that I'll at least have my MA, which is good enough to start teaching at community colleges. Since there are ten bajillion CCs within 30 minutes driving time of my apartment, I'm just planning on that as my plan B. I consider myself lucky because my plan B is a lot of people's plan A. We can do this!!!!

My plan B is to move somewhere awesome and be a starving artist (writer). Yes, my plans are always very realistic. :P

But in all seriousness, I have a full-time job right now so I won't be SOL if I don't get in anywhere. Although working full-time while doing my MFA was a pain, I did it so upon graduation I wasn't scrambling. I didn't have any work experience/Plan B when I graduated with my BA and had to move back in with my mom; really didn't want to repeat that after my MFA (no matter how much I love my mom!).

My biggest fear right now is that I will get into a school and then change my mind when I visit. Like, all of a sudden decide, after a second round of applications, that this isn't what I want. Wouldn't that be awful? Almost everything I'm doing now -- my hobbies, research, work, -- is geared towards continuing my studies. What if I decide that a PhD shouldn't be my goal? I feel like I'd lose a chunk of my identity. And, like a couple of other people here, I'm a bit older and it's kind of now or never for me.

I feel like 0% chance of acceptance. No wait, I have an early acceptance but it's sort of an outlier and funding won't be decided until January. That raises my confidence to 0.001%

Glad to hear lots of people have Plan B's! For those finishing up their undergraduate work, my view is that the Plan B and Plan A can be interchangeable. I'm personally quite glad I took time off between my BA and MA.

What does everyone make of the rumored low application numbers this year then? I think that possibility might make me at least (foolishly) slightly more confident?

What does everyone make of the rumored low application numbers this year then? I think that possibility might make me at least (foolishly) slightly more confident?

Yeah, I can't help but think it's a slight positive for our cohort specifically. I'm not sure if it will have any broader ramifications (if it's true) in five or six years when we're ready to hit the job market, but using my situation as an example, if just ten fewer people applied to each program that I applied to, then that's basically an aggregate of 170 competitors I don't need to worry about. It might not be much, but it's something after all. Even if it gets me on to a couple of waitlists that would have otherwise been rejections, it's still a better chance at winning the proverbial golden ticket.

Not to rain on the parade too much, but the supposed "fewer numbers" are just speculation at this point, based solely on ephemeral data that could be explained away by pure circumstance. Yet I do get the unqualitative feeling that it's true. Here's hoping...

Yeah, I can't help but think it's a slight positive for our cohort specifically. I'm not sure if it will have any broader ramifications (if it's true) in five or six years when we're ready to hit the job market, but using my situation as an example, if just ten fewer people applied to each program that I applied to, then that's basically an aggregate of 170 competitors I don't need to worry about. It might not be much, but it's something after all. Even if it gets me on to a couple of waitlists that would have otherwise been rejections, it's still a better chance at winning the proverbial golden ticket.

Not to rain on the parade too much, but the supposed "fewer numbers" are just speculation at this point, based solely on ephemeral data that could be explained away by pure circumstance. Yet I do get the unqualitative feeling that it's true. Here's hoping...

I would be curious to know what the number of apps ends up being for programs for this year. If there truly are fewer, well, good for all of us!

Glad to hear lots of people have Plan B's! For those finishing up their undergraduate work, my view is that the Plan B and Plan A can be interchangeable. I'm personally quite glad I took time off between my BA and MA.

Literally-- excuse the SoCal expression-- I'm on cloud 9 right now because my Shakespeare professor (who is cited in the Norton and notoriously difficult as a professor) said she thought I was ready for the next level of grad study. Can I put her on every adcomm please? Jeez.  

The number of applications, in my opinion, has no effect on my acceptance. If my application is interesting and worth doctoral study, it will be accepted from a pool of 10 or 10,000.