0% Confidence of Acceptance

Can you share with us what did that made the difference in your application? Also, did you feel the need to address your "gap year" in application materials?

I asked about the gap year issue specifically. I was told that, since (in all reality) it is a question of a few months between one application and the next, it is not expected that you have to address it somehow. Let your writing sample, SOP, etc. speak for themselves to "show" your progress. Obviously, if you've bagged some publications or presentations, send them over to the CV or drop a line on them in your SOP.

As for "what I did": I honestly did not do much. Without getting too field-specific, I repositioned myself to try and come up with a research proposal and interests (and writing sample) that a 2012 adcom would find attractive and worth the investment. This doesn't mean I gave up my "passions"...rather it just means I delved deeper into my field to try and understand what's going on, where things are going. By fortune or, I suppose, by being smart (to an extent? no? okay then.) I managed to develop a project at once timely, forward-looking, and rigorous enough to merit doctoral studies. 

In developing the project I reached out widely to professors who I felt may have something to say, something to offer. More often than not I encountered great generosity from them, and their feedback/comments definitely helped me in this construction phase.

Edit: I do want to add, however, that I don't think any better of my project now than I did a week or two ago when I was uncertain about this cycle. But that's where the numbers game comes in. I applied widely, yet I applied choosing places at which I could readily see myself. I think, if the legwork is there and you apply widely, at some point or other you're bound to strike gold. 

Edited by Swagato

I asked about the gap year issue specifically. I was told that, since (in all reality) it is a question of a few months between one application and the next, it is not expected that you have to address it somehow. Let your writing sample, SOP, etc. speak for themselves to "show" your progress. Obviously, if you've bagged some publications or presentations, send them over to the CV or drop a line on them in your SOP.

As for "what I did": I honestly did not do much. Without getting too field-specific, I repositioned myself to try and come up with a research proposal and interests (and writing sample) that a 2012 adcom would find attractive and worth the investment. This doesn't mean I gave up my "passions"...rather it just means I delved deeper into my field to try and understand what's going on, where things are going. By fortune or, I suppose, by being smart (to an extent? no? okay then.) I managed to develop a project at once timely, forward-looking, and rigorous enough to merit doctoral studies. 

In developing the project I reached out widely to professors who I felt may have something to say, something to offer. More often than not I encountered great generosity from them, and their feedback/comments definitely helped me in this construction phase.

This is helpful. Thanks!

This makes me very happy. I see all these people who are going to be younger than me WHEN THEY GRADUATE and I get all sad.

Same! I mean I gather from the age thread that I'm not as old as you but I still feel like everyone entering PhD programs is at least 5-7 years younger than me...

Same! I mean I gather from the age thread that I'm not as old as you but I still feel like everyone entering PhD programs is at least 5-7 years younger than me...

haha.. I hope I'm not too much older! I just turned 30 last month.

Age is just a number you guys. What matters is the joy in your hearts. Can you paint with all the colors of the wind?

<3

This makes me very happy. I see all these people who are going to be younger than me WHEN THEY GRADUATE and I get all sad.

While my cohort is pretty evenly balanced in terms of people coming in with/without MAs, there is only a handful (4/16) coming straight from undergrad this year.  I constantly feel like "the young one" in my cohort, and not always in a good way.  Though I am excited to start teaching next year, I'm afraid my students will walk all over me because I'm 5'2" and look like I'm 12.  I wouldn't worry about being "older," mainly because you all start out in the program on such an even plane that it ultimately doesn't matter.  It's often an advantage, in fact, to have had various life experiences that we young'uns never had.  Or, in my case, to have even had experience previously doing things like, oh, paying rent and whatnot.

While my cohort is pretty evenly balanced in terms of people coming in with/without MAs, there is only a handful (4/16) coming straight from undergrad this year.  I constantly feel like "the young one" in my cohort, and not always in a good way.  Though I am excited to start teaching next year, I'm afraid my students will walk all over me because I'm 5'2" and look like I'm 12.  I wouldn't worry about being "older," mainly because you all start out in the program on such an even plane that it ultimately doesn't matter.  It's often an advantage, in fact, to have had various life experiences that we young'uns never had.  Or, in my case, to have even had experience previously doing things like, oh, paying rent and whatnot.
Thanks for this! I do feel much better. You reminded my of when I taught high school as a 23 year-old grad student and was asked for my hall pass the first week. :lol: at least I could avoid that! Congrats on all the great news! Good luck making your decision. :)

ok, I think they all hate me :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: [/nowhere else to vent]

eta: I got another email from UT Austin that said I was rejected. I think I got the message the first time. This makes my day.

Edited by t1racyjacks

Though I am excited to start teaching next year, I'm afraid my students will walk all over me because I'm 5'2" and look like I'm 12. 

Love this! I'm 5 foot and a couple years ago when I began seriously considering graduate school as a next step, one of the first snags I ran into was that I can't imagine a whole classroom of students taking me seriously — especially if I'm standing behind a podium that comes up to my chest.

I'm 35, will be 36 when I start the program. This is very very common in my country. That said, I'm off to the States to undertake my PhD.

Love this! I'm 5 foot and a couple years ago when I began seriously considering graduate school as a next step, one of the first snags I ran into was that I can't imagine a whole classroom of students taking me seriously — especially if I'm standing behind a podium that comes up to my chest.

I don't think you have to worry about stature affecting your influence over a class.

A former professor of mine can't be more than 5'1" and 105 lbs. yet she probably leads the world in inducing changes of pants.

I don't think you have to worry about stature affecting your influence over a class.

A former professor of mine can't be more than 5'1" and 105 lbs. yet she probably leads the world in inducing changes of pants.

My tiniest female professors have been some of my scariest, FOR SURE. But putting on fierceness has absolutely got to be a coping strategy because shortness absolutely 100% has an impact on perceived intelligence and competence. Those of us who are short (and I'm 4'11") will probably need to consider classroom presentation more than those who are not. And we may have fewer options open to us for the kind of teacher we could be -- I don't actually want to be the scary/intimidating one but I have never seen a short person be the nice one and get the same respect (which then translates to lower perceptions of teaching quality).

My tiniest female professors have been some of my scariest, FOR SURE. But putting on fierceness has absolutely got to be a coping strategy because shortness absolutely 100% has an impact on perceived intelligence and competence. Those of us who are short (and I'm 4'11") will probably need to consider classroom presentation more than those who are not. And we may have fewer options open to us for the kind of teacher we could be -- I don't actually want to be the scary/intimidating one but I have never seen a short person be the nice one and get the same respect (which then translates to lower perceptions of teaching quality).

Exactly. I agree with champagne that being short doesn't prevent one from being intimidating or commanding respect, but it does add another layer of complexity to how you present yourself to a class. Those who fit a certain standard (the distinguished, tall, white male probably being the highest) are more likely to receive the luxury of being respected without having to be intimidating. In person-to-person interactions, one's intelligence and personality quickly trump assumptions made based on appearance, but in an interaction between a professor and class of students, it seems like the initial assumptions become more important and more difficult to overcome. It will definitely make for a lot of conflicting thoughts the first time I find myself facing a classroom of undergrads.

THIS. I am definitely thought of as the "youngest" in my program, even though I'm not the only one coming straight from undergrad, and I'm certain that has much to do with my height.  My roommate is 27, and an amazing teacher, but she is my height and often has to compensate by putting on fierceness. People refer to the two of us with diminutives and talk down to us constantly.  It is amazing just how ridiculous people act just because a person happens to be short!

So I got an email from Tufts saying it would post a decision "shortly." That was three days ago. I've heard a lot of people getting acceptances and wait listed...should I take this as a rejection? Be honest with me, I can take it!
If it were me, that's what I'd assume. Don't give up on CU Boulder yet, though. I heard they're not done.

So I got an email from Tufts saying it would post a decision "shortly." That was three days ago. I've heard a lot of people getting acceptances and wait listed...should I take this as a rejection? Be honest with me, I can take it!

Check your status on the website. I did...

Anyone else still waiting to hear from Boston College recently have their options chance on the Agora portal? I still don't have a decision but all of a sudden there are financial aid tabs and such? Sorry if I pop this around multiple threads.

Check your status on the website. I did...

Are you talking about that portal that takes you to this screen where there's a box that says "Your admissions decision will be found here when it is available?" Because that's what I've been checking, and there's no change! Maybe I should contact the department?