Roundup

LLajax

Hey everybody! I thought it would be nice to have a thread for everyone applying to Art History programs this year (I may or may not be jealous of the History board's Applicant Chit-Chat thread).

So who all out there is applying? How are you doing so far? Feeling good? What are your interests? Where are you thinking about? Any funny application stories so far? Freak outs?

My interest is in photography and moving image studies. I am applying to seven PhD programs, but because the selection is heavily weighted toward the unattainable I am beginning to think that I should explore more options. Any thoughts on UofR? Other suggestions?

Let's get more active up in here! This is actually my second go at applying to Art History programs; I applied to a bunch of REALLY ambitious PhD programs in December of my senior year of undergrad and was not admitted to any of them, surprise. I did also apply to two MA programs, one in the US and one in the UK, and was admitted to both. However, because I didn't have the monetary resources and got very little in the way of funding, I opted to take time off to work instead. And now...here I am!

I'm applying to six programs, a few of which are terminal MAs, a few of which are MA/PhD track programs. I'm also applying to the Bard Graduate Center, which isn't strictly Art History but instead design history and material culture. I was advised to apply there last time because of my research interests and ignored the advice, but it is actually a really great fit for my methodology.

Oh, and, I'm an Italianist, with a special interest in domestic art and material culture and gender identity as created/manifested through visual production in the 16th century.

Hello! I'm applying to five graduate programs, two of which are MAs and three are straight to PhDs. I'm applying to SFAI, CCA, Berkeley, Santa Cruz and USC. However, I find that I am really only excited about the Berkeley and CCA programs. I would be more excited about USC because of Richard Meyer, but I really would love to stay in the Bay area. My focus is gender and sexuality studies in contemporary art. I sent out emails to my POIs at Berkeley and CCA yesterday so now I'll play the waiting game. I take the GRE next week, and as time progresses, I can feel Berkeley getting further and further out of reach. I know my scores arent going to be stellar, and I'm afraid this is going to play a big role with the Berkeley AdCom. This coupled with the fact that I'm coming from a smaller less well known school outside of California and the fact that I have no internship or work experience in the field. Really, all I have going for me are my letters of Rec and my senior thesis. I was thinking about applying to Stanford to work with Jean Ma, but I feel like this would be another Berkeley.

Do any of you guys know if I'll have a better shot of getting in to USC over Berkeley? Should I just suck it up, apply and be open to the move?

I've also recently applied to an internship at SFMOMA, but from what I hear those are quite competitive too...

I'm feeling pretty bummed to say the least...

My interest is in photography and moving image studies. I am applying to seven PhD programs, but because the selection is heavily weighted toward the unattainable I am beginning to think that I should explore more options. Any thoughts on UofR? Other suggestions?

I really havent done a lot of research on schools on the East Coast, but briefly looking at U of R's program it looks great. This may be a little more biased because I saw Douglas Crimp is there and he would be a potential fit for me! Actually, as a whole it looks like they have a great group of faculty there, and the program sounds great. What are some of the other schools you're looking to apply to?

I'm applying to 9 programs (one MA). I might be on my way to a very sad springtime, but I'm holding out hope at the moment. I'm interested in earlier medieval monastic structures! This is m first time applying, and I'm incredibly nervous. I think I'm going to submit my first app today (maybe I'll do one more edit of my SOP first though...I can't seem to stop).

I'm applying to 9 programs (one MA). I might be on my way to a very sad springtime, but I'm holding out hope at the moment. I'm interested in earlier medieval monastic structures! This is m first time applying, and I'm incredibly nervous. I think I'm going to submit my first app today (maybe I'll do one more edit of my SOP first though...I can't seem to stop).

Wow, 9 programs! Here I was thinking 5 programs was crazy! Have you taken the GRE yet? I know, I can't stop thinking about the fact that Spring may be a very sad time next year....

@egomex11

I took the GREs this summer before they changed over to the new version. As for 9 programs, I'd rather err on the side of the cautious. Haha its too bad that applying to more doesn't actually mean I'll get in anyplace. Hearing from so many people in their second season of applying is making me more worried.

LLajax

I know exactly how you feel. Everything started to hit me once I realized how many people were on their second and third round of applications.

I did get a response back from the POI at Berkeley just now. Good news is that the POI responded and agrees that I would be a good fit for the program and that they are taking on students next year. Well, where do I go from here? What I'd really like is for this person to size me up and tell me if I've got a shot, but so does every one is right?

Hey everyone!

I'm applying to six Ph.D programs and looking to specialize in 20th century architecture. I'm also working two jobs right now, so with the added work of applications my free time seems to have gone missing.

I actually have an interview this Thursday (that I requested- the website said you could so I went for it!) so I'm currently devouring one of my POI's books. I'm done with the GRE (thank god!) and just have to tackle the 238409382 millionth revision of my personal statement plus the diversity statement for the CA schools. Does anyone else feel like time is moving really fast?

Hi All,

Love this thread! I'm applying to 7 MA programs: UMD, UMAss Amherst, Chapel Hill, Williams, IFA, Tufts and one Museum Education (my absolute backup). I'm interested in late Medieval devotional objects and questions of gender/reception. Took the GRE (thank god indeed!), SoP is in third editing phase and I'm working on my writing sample now. What I have yet to do is contact POIs, a little nervous...trying to speed read articles but I feel under prepared! I've had a bunch of internships, including a couple at the Met but I'm really worried about my languages, does anyone else share this fear?

@egomez11:

I also feel nervous about by undergraduate institution: I went to a city school (it was all I could afford). My education was fine but it doesn't quite have the weight of an Ivy, but what can you do?

@ stilnovista:

I've met quite a few people in the Bard program and they are really loving it!

Hi all! Just discovered this forum - I'm pretty sure it will only help fuel my anxieties rather than help any. But oh well!

I'm applying to 5 PhD programs and 1 non-Art History back-up MA program (although this would be my second Master's. They'd have to give me a great tuition remission for it to be affordable.) I'm a lonely Northern Renaissance student...any others out there? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

I'm a little worried because my grad adviser suggested that my 690 V and 5.5. W was too low. I was sort of surprised. I thought it was pretty decent. I mean I took the test three years ago when I was still an undergrad, but even if I wanted to retake it...it's probably too late now to register! Any thoughts?

@art of describing

690V sounds fine to me- I got 700V and my profs have been acting like that's good (taking all my ques from them). I wouldn't worry about the writing part- I was told they don't care about that score because they have your whole writing sample to determine if you can write or not, so they disregard ETS's opinion of your writing. Plus isn't it out of 6? I doubt your nearly perfect 5.5 will hurt :)

Oh, Northern Renaissance- are you applying to Penn?

Northern Renaissance: small field yes, but highly interesting. Any interest in Jeff Smith at U.Texas? He's all about Germany, but has taken on students in a wide variety of areas. I think Case Western is hiring a new person in Northern Renaissance this year, and they have a tradition in that area. You could get in on the ground floor. And doesn't Penn State have someone?

Northern Renaissance: small field yes, but highly interesting. Any interest in Jeff Smith at U.Texas? He's all about Germany, but has taken on students in a wide variety of areas. I think Case Western is hiring a new person in Northern Renaissance this year, and they have a tradition in that area. You could get in on the ground floor. And doesn't Penn State have someone?

Chipps Smith is a wonderful scholar, but unfortunately I wouldn't be able to live in Texas. And I honestly didn't feel that my interests were such a perfect fit that I'd be willing to relocate there. And honestly, regarding the other schools, I made an executive decision to only apply to schools with a strong record of landing their post-docs jobs. As much as I would love to work with someone like Hochstrasser, I don't feel that Iowa has the rep to assuage my parent's anxieties that in six years I'll be living in their basement and eating all of their food. This isn't to say that I am only applying to the Ivies/top tier schools just because they're top-ranked. My adviser and I spent all summer carefully selecting schools with the perfect balance of rep and faculty research interests. I'm really happy with the five I chose, and although they are all first and second tier schools with probably only one Renaissance slot, I am confident in my attractiveness to an adcom. I am more than aware of my slim chances but I need to stay positive and concentrate on all my really strong qualifications. And if I am not accepted to any then I know I am going to be at this non-Art History MA program. Now I'm starting to hum "Keep on the Sunny Side" as I write this...

Hi all!

I am applying to 5 PhD programs - totally shooting for the stars with where I'm applying and totally prepared to be knocked back BUT you have to be in it to win it!

I am taking the GRE in the next couple days (shudder!) and still working on my personal statement and other bits and pieces.

My area is 16th century Italian portraiture - specifically of leaders/rulers. I just love portraiture as a genre!!! Anyone else in portraiture (from any period!) ?? Also, Alexander Nagel is one of my POIs :)

I am walking the line of feeling positive/putting the good vibes out there but also knowing there is a very significant chance I won't get in anywhere.

Cheers,

Jilly

Hey all - is anyone else applying to the Courtauld this fall? I remember reading once that they were interested in GRE scores if you have them (I do) but it's not on the application anywhere. Is it smart to include them anyway?

Hey everyone, I'm really glad I found this forum, this is gonna be my first post ever.

I'm currently applying for PhD programs focused in Chinese Art and Architecture History. Does anyone know if this particular field is highly competitive or not? My GPA from an 5-year architecture program is not the most impressive - a 3.3, but I just got my GRE scores, which seem to be alright (169V, 162Q and 5.5AW). I think I have pretty solid letters of recommendation, a decent SOP, and I'm still polishing up my writing sample.

The programs I'm applying to are UPenn (Top choice), Princeton, Harvard, UPitt, UVirginia and maybe UChicago, Brown, NYU (MA) or Columbia (MA).

Is anyone else applying in this field? Or does anyone have any suggestions? With my background, are the programs I'm looking at out of my reach or attainable? Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks =D

You'll be highly marketable in Asian art. Just make sure you get a good background in other geographic regions (south Asia, Japan) so that you can teach a range of courses.

If you have the language background, I imagine you'll do well, since there is less competition in this area.

Hey everyone! One week in on this thread- I'm just checking in with everyone. Any progress made this week? As for me, I've written two SOP drafts (for different schools), and sent them out to professors for comments. Hoping to get another app done this week, but it definitely won't be today (my calendar is completely booked from 9am til midnight!)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all -

Trying to revive this very dead thread! Mostly because I've finished the first chapter of my thesis (also my writing sample) and I'm all caught up on TV shows so now I have nothing else to do in order to put off writing my SoPs. Ugh! Anybody else feel like an inane baboon trying to convince some of the top schools in the country in less than a 1000 words that you belong there? My first two apps are due the 15th! It's crunch time I suppose...

Way to revive! Yeah I feel the same way- and I hate how formal it is. My first is due on Dec 7th- but I've got it all finished. Of course, the next one is due the day after that, and it isn't finished. (Third recommender- I'm counting on you- why you let me down like this?) The whole thing is starting to scare me (more?). I could watch tv, but I have to wait 8 days for everything to appear on Hulu.

I don't mind the formality and am actually pleased with my SoP. My writing sample, however, is a concern. I haven't got a chapter of my thesis yet to submit, so I'm using a seminar paper that I wrote a year ago. It needs work and I had to submit an less-than-ready version to Princeton yesterday. Trying not to think about it.