Is it OK to hate the people who got in?

husky07

Is it OK to hate the people who got in (especially into your first choice)?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Is it OK to hate the people who got in (especially into your first choice)?

• Yes it is
    • No it is not
    • No it is not (but I secretly do hate them)

Well, yes and no. I feel like you guys on this board are sort of my comrades - so no, I hope for good things for y'all. But the faceless "other" folks who get admitted instead of me? Well, them I hate. ;)

I can relate. I'm much more hateful towards the results board than I am to people on the forum.

Of course, it's still early to judge since my field hasn't really started making offers yet. If I get into at least a few schools, I probably won't hate anybody. :wink:

I won't hate anyone on the sociology forums--they all seem as anxious, periodically insecure/confident as I do.

But, if I get rejected across the board, I'm sure I could muster up some serious hatred for those with more than one offer + full funding :D

Or, if I am on the waitlist and jerks are taking their sweet time deciding, then i will hate with shame.

Well, I'll be jealous, for sure, but can't imagine hating them.

The adcoms, on the other hand, who weren't able to discern my brilliance ... :wink:

Fortunately, I have yet to receive a single result, and so I can continue to assume the world is a happy place and academia is full of wonderful future colleagues .

i do have a little bit of stomach churning, although i probably wouldnt call it hate. what i do hate is the fact that the board index now has a 'decisions decisions' section. i cant even bear to enter it, for fear that i wont HAVE any decisions to make... and i still have AT LEAST a month to wait. urgh.

this reminds me of that gore vidal quote though: "every time a friend succeeds, a little bit of me dies". ugly sentiment, but theres probably a bit of truth in it somewhere.

what i do hate is the fact that the board index now has a 'decisions decisions' section. i cant even bear to enter it, for fear that i wont HAVE any decisions to make... and i still have AT LEAST a month to wait. urgh.

Sorry, that's my fault. I asked the mods for that section as soon as I had my first acceptance, which bolstered my hope that there will be more. ;)

I wouldn't worry though, everyone on this board seems to be a super star (or close to it), so I'm betting you will have plenty of decisions to make since you were obviously smart enough to find your way here!

thanks t_ruth! dont worry, i'm not holding it against you! Hell, as soon as i have the tiniest decision to make ill probably be on there every five minutes basking in the warm, golden glow of Dreams Achieved.

:)

Of course no one should act on hating them. I even don't wish them harm. I just wish that they get into ALL the schools I am not applying to and NONE of the ones I am applying to.

Agreed! I hope everyone gets in, but no one takes "my" spot at my top choice. If only things worked out so well. For those of you who fear that you can't take being rejected, I was rejected from both the schools I applied to last year (yeah, I only applied to two), and I'm still alive and kicking. But since we're all getting in this year (please?) that's nothing you'll have to worry about. :)

life sciences rule (probably applies to other disciplines too): do not hate anyone, at least not to their face, or their friends' faces, or their hairdresser's cousin's long-lost twin's face - you may need to ask them for a protocol/cell stock/antibody/transgenic mouse mating pair some day.