UMASS - Amherst

Anyone here definitely attending UMass this fall, and if so, do you want to be my friend? :)

Also wondering what resources people have used with any degree of success to find decent apartments near campus. I previously attended grad school at my underground institution, so I never really had to make the big move. Is the department usually willing to put you in touch with other admitted students who are in the same boat, possible roomies, etc?

So glad to return to this thread in better spirits!!

Hi,

I am going to attend UMass starting from this fall. I am an international grad student and will be studying chemistry. Since I am not physically present in the US at this time, so I have only researched on the internet about the housing scenario. I think UMOCH.org is a good resource. Moreover, there are some apartment complexes nearby the university such as puffton village, squire village, presidential etc....

Hi,

I am going to attend UMass starting from this fall. I am an international grad student and will be studying chemistry. Since I am not physically present in the US at this time, so I have only researched on the internet about the housing scenario. I think UMOCH.org is a good resource. Moreover, there are some apartment complexes nearby the university such as puffton village, squire village, presidential etc....

I would be weary of the apartment complexes in Amherst; especially Puffton, Hobart, Salem place. The residents of most of these places are rowdy undergraduates. Not an ideal place to live as a UMass graduate student.

I would be weary of the apartment complexes in Amherst; especially Puffton, Hobart, Salem place. The residents of most of these places are rowdy undergraduates. Not an ideal place to live as a UMass graduate student.

What do you recommend then? As a second option I am looking to rent a room in a private household. Is this a better option.

This housing search process is turning into, like, the biggest pain in the ass. Not only do I have haul myself over from an hour away to look at places and meet prospective roommates, but I'll end up having to do so several times, it looks like...and I'm REALLY trying to avoid those apartment complexes. They sound pretty hellish. If anyone finds any tricks / good advice / other ways to find housing in Amherst, do share!!

• 5 weeks later...

What do you recommend then? As a second option I am looking to rent a room in a private household. Is this a better option.

I would recommend living in Northampton or another surrounding town. Amherst and Noho have buses running frequently back and forth.

• 8 months later...

^bumping

Do you guys think all the UMass TA interview notifications have gone out?  I only saw 2 go up on the board, which seems low compared to what I remember from last year, but maybe the cohort is small this year and/or folks are not posting about it there this year?

Anyone have info?

Edited by Imogene

^bumping

Do you guys think all the UMass TA interview notifications have gone out? I only saw 2 go up on the board, which seems low compared to what I remember from last year, but maybe the cohort is small this year and/or folks are not posting about it there this year?

Anyone have info?

Thanks for bumping this. No word on my end. Hope someone can shed some light! That said, I'm not sure we'll hear anything today with Nemo coming through. Woof.

Last year, the Writing Program seemed to send out all their interview requests on the same day, so I'd imagine that was yesterday (and the smaller number of posts is just representative of a smaller number of people actually using gradcafe this year) this time around. If it's anything like last year, we'll probably then see other funding paths (fellowships, etc) going up early next week, then the wait-list, and finally rejections...

... of course, who knows until it happens? And as Jeremiah said, what with the snow, we probably won't be hearing anything more today.

Any here apply to the English Rhet & Comp program at UMASS?  I am assuming that it is a different in selection committee...I emailed the grad coordinator awhile back and was told that it would be late Feb before notices went out....

I got a phone call today to set up an interview, so it's possible that not everyone who's been selected has been notified. She did say that interviews are going to start next Wednesday, though...so I'm assuming everyone they're interested in will hear soon.

Incidentally, I asked the secretary (Heidi, I believe she said her name was) if the weather had anything to do with delayed responses and she said no. 

Well, I guess that is an implicit rejection me on Umass since I did not get the call. :(. First Louisville and now Umass. Two strikes. Depressing. And one of my recommendations was also a former PhD student in the program....oh well..... Arizona, Oregon, UC Irvine , Washington state and Louisiana are up next to the plate. Need some good news! Do not want to work at Starbucks with my MA!

Hey guys! I'm in! I still haven't received an invitation to interview with the Writing Program, but I just got the email from Joseph Black that I'm in! Some stats: seems like they received 200 applications. They are shooting for a starting class of 15. I really had figured that I didn't get in since I haven't heard from the Writing Program... I am just stunned. 

Thanks! Yes, Peter Elbow! It's very different than my undergrad program, at Pitt, which has, of course, Dave Bartholomae. But still, I'll adapt if I end up going there. 

I haven't heard from Louisville yet--I applied for the MA program, not the PhD. The grad secretary told me that MA apps won't receive responses until mid- to late-March.

Edited by JoshBarblahblah

Hey guys! I'm in! I still haven't received an invitation to interview with the Writing Program, but I just got the email from Joseph Black that I'm in! Some stats: seems like they received 200 applications. They are shooting for a starting class of 15. I really had figured that I didn't get in since I haven't heard from the Writing Program... I am just stunned. 

Way to go! So excited for you! Is this for Rhet Comp?  When did you get the email? What did the letter say? I'm one of the interview people -- but I'm confused. I haven't got an official letter yet. *fingers crossed*

Congrats... and I know what you mean! I got my acceptance yesterday (monday) evening (my time), but haven't heard anything from the Writing Program yet (I presume they'll be in touch with us over the next couple of days). It's an awesome start to the application season...

15 Rhet Comp people, or 15 people overall?

Way to go! So excited for you! Is this for Rhet Comp?  When did you get the email? What did the letter say? I'm one of the interview people -- but I'm confused. I haven't got an official letter yet. *fingers crossed*

Thanks!! I applied to Rhet/Comp. Looks like the email was sent at 8:21AM EST. The letter mostly just outlined funding and health insurance. It also talked about the Writing Program interview. I haven't heard from the Writing Program yet (which makes me terrified this is all a fluke!). Last year, I think that every GradCafer who was interviewed was either accepted or waitlisted, so I have a good feeling about your chances!

My letter says the bit about there being 200 applicants, and only wanting a class of 15... then it says a bit about the Writing Program (Initial funding for our program requires an offer of teaching from our nationally ranked Writing Program, which will contact you soon for an interview. The Writing Program is selective, and you should expect a serious dialogue about your thoughts about the writing process, your teaching aims, and any experience you have that might prove valuable in the classroom.)... and then some financial details, stipend of 17.2k, full tuition fee and curriculum fee waivers... then some less wonderful financial stuff (Students with assistantships must pay mandatory graduate student fees of about $1,400 per year, which includes the 5% cost on the individual health insurance plan. A one-time graduate entering fee of approximately $360 is due your first semester.)... and then a bit asking you to make contact if you want to arrange visits, sit on some classes, etc.