UMASS - Amherst

Woot! Congrats Ategenos and mobydick, two of my potential future classmates! 

And congrats to you (and to all the other potential Umies)! :D UMass is actually my joint top program (with two others). Although the funding is not as good as the other two, the fit is really great, and my fiancee is already studying Philosophy there... Gods, I want to get in to those other two, but at the same time... if I do... it'll be a really tough decision... the I-wish-I-could-split-into-three kind of decision.

I read your post on the other forum about finding out, Proflo, and I know exactly what you mean. My email was accidentally scrolled down, so I saw all the acceptances last night and thought 'Shit, well, that's that then...' and then, just before going to sleep, I saw the little scroll bar, scrolled up... and there it was! Man, it might have been midnight by that stage, but I called ALL the people and didn't end up sleeping until 2am. When I originally read it, I actually shrieked aloud, terrified my dog, rolled about on the floor...

... coz I was in the same boat as you. Last year, I just got almost straight rejections (except for a couple of wait-lists)... and that stings, you know? Made me feel like a bit of a failure, even if I knew that it was just because my application had been flawed, and made me question pretty much everything I was doing... but then getting in... Gods, it was like a year and a half of stress just vented out of me in a gout of sheer hysteria, and I was left falling back into the calm and optimistic mindset that is far more natural to me. Haven't slept so well in ages, and woke up feeling bright-eyed and bushy-tailed despite having only five hours sleep. :D

YAY post-acceptance sleep! It feels great to know that my application was good. I had hoped that was the case, but I couldn't be sure until I heard back from schools. With this validation from such a great program, Ategenos, I am confident that we will both hear more good news before the cycle is over! 

Ok, let's talk Writing Program. I was feeling really confident about the interview because I have been teaching for three years and I really emphasized that in my application... But after reading how competitive TOships are, I am starting to feel anxious! I'm reading through the posts from last year, and it seems like the interview is pretty relaxed and casual, so that's good. I'll just have to do my research and really go through that website!

ETA: Did anyone reply to the email? Should I say thank you? I don't have any questions yet, but I know that I will!

Edited by proflorax

Congrats to everyone who got in! UMass is one of my top choices.

Proflorax, I was wondering whether I should reply to the email too. I think I'm going to just send a thank you, at least for the sake of politeness. 

I gushed like a broken tap. Well, I said that I was very thankful, felt very honoured, and that I would most definitely send an email if I had any questions once I had time to re-study aspects of the Writing Program (as I did that for the paper application form already :>). I also told him I would make sure to keep him apprised of my situation, regarding the applications, because I know how frustrating it must be for a graduate director when people keep them hanging until the last minute.

To cut a long story short, seems to me like sending a reply can only be good. It must be nice to hear you've made someone happy!

Just you know, don't attach any embarrassing pictures by accident, or have some kind of e-tourette's. ;)

Haha, like this?

odd_nicholas_cage_1.jpg

I sent a quick reply. I thanked him for letting me know, then promised I would ask questions after done celebrating the good news. :)

YAY post-acceptance sleep! It feels great to know that my application was good. I had hoped that was the case, but I couldn't be sure until I heard back from schools. With this validation from such a great program, Ategenos, I am confident that we will both hear more good news before the cycle is over! 

Ok, let's talk Writing Program. I was feeling really confident about the interview because I have been teaching for three years and I really emphasized that in my application... But after reading how competitive TOships are, I am starting to feel anxious! I'm reading through the posts from last year, and it seems like the interview is pretty relaxed and casual, so that's good. I'll just have to do my research and really go through that website!

ETA: Did anyone reply to the email? Should I say thank you? I don't have any questions yet, but I know that I will!

As for the interview... I guess the important thing is just to make sure that we thoroughly understand their particular ethos and instructional methodology. I think I remember a section of their page which talks about how they don't just concentrate on the formal aspects, but also wish to teach people to actively enjoy and creatively engage with the writing...

I'm sure they'll also have the sort of questions one might expect: about your previous teaching experience, how you think that might be applicable to the Writing Program, how you might feel (if you have that experience, and have taught in a certain fashion) about having to do things in a different way, why you think the writing program might be important, etc, etc... and of course they'll probably have questions that are drawn directly from your application form, so it'll definitely be a good idea to take a close look at what was said in order to prepare expanded answers.

Edited by Ategenos

Haha, like this?

odd_nicholas_cage_1.jpg

I sent a quick reply. I thanked him for letting me know, then promised I would ask questions after done celebrating the good news. :)

That sort of thing. My mind went immediately to something dirty in a sexual as opposed to a Nicholas Cage way, but then I was raised on British comedies like Red Dwarf and Monty Python. I didn't stand a chance!  :unsure:

Is anyone else in UMASS limbo? I've seen some people post that they are waitlisted, so I'm assuming all acceptances are out. Rejections are online, but I have heard nothing either way http://forum.thegradcafe.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/sad.png

I am in UMass limbo. :'( It sucks because it's my top choice!

Still, my application still hasn't been processed which means there's hope for an acceptance. If not, well...at least UW-Madison offered a fellowship and i have an interview with the CUNY adcom.

This waiting period sucks! I want to hear back from UMass ASAP!

Ok, going through the Writing Program website and generally checking things out suddenly put this depressing idea into my head --- given how competitive this seems, what if I don't get that TAship? Is there any other funding opportunity? Ugh, I would hate for that to happen. Does anyone know of a situation like that?

Ok, going through the Writing Program website and generally checking things out suddenly put this depressing idea into my head --- given how competitive this seems, what if I don't get that TAship? Is there any other funding opportunity? Ugh, I would hate for that to happen. Does anyone know of a situation like that?

Proflorax was saying that in previous years they have tried to make accommodations for those who weren't able to get a TO position. I think they usually have enough positions for MOST people, though - and new intakes get priority, I'd imagine, because 'veteran' TOs are likely to move on to actually teaching within the English Department after two or three years. I'm actually quite looking forward to teaching writing, now I've read the website, but I - for one - would definitely be moving on to teach the subject when the opportunity offered itself.

Proflorax was saying that in previous years they have tried to make accommodations for those who weren't able to get a TO position. I think they usually have enough positions for MOST people, though - and new intakes get priority, I'd imagine, because 'veteran' TOs are likely to move on to actually teaching within the English Department after two or three years.

Second this.  I think that if the Writing Program runs out of TOships and you don't get one, and the department wants you, there are other fellowship options (last year, for example, Stately Plump noted that he was offered an assitantship on a departmental publication).  I think the department wants you to get a TOship, though, so that they don't have to figure out a way to find funding another way.

Thank you for clearing my fuzzy ideas you guys. What kind of an interview are you thinking of, all of you? Phone? Skype? In-person?

Phone! You? I have to remember to spend some more time studying the Writing Program this week.

Hey, all -- just wondering: should one assume rejection if s/he hasn't yet received any word from Amherst?

I have no idea. UMass hasn't given me any indication if they are finished with acceptances or not. Sorry-- I know the feeling! I was in Ohio State limbo for a long time. 

Hey, all -- just wondering: should one assume rejection if s/he hasn't yet received any word from Amherst?

Don't!

My boyfriend called a week ago and a lot of applications still haven't gone through. Don't give up! I sure as hell haven't yet. This is one of my top choices school and I can't wait to hear back from them!

Don't!

My boyfriend called a week ago and a lot of applications still haven't gone through. Don't give up! I sure as hell haven't yet. This is one of my top choices school and I can't wait to hear back from them!

Ah, that's good to hear. I was assuming rejection..But well, again, who knows.

Ah, that's good to hear. I was assuming rejection..But well, again, who knows.

Yeah, I'd imagine they're waiting to hear back on the first round of acceptances and Writing Program interviews (which are happening over the next week). After that, there will probably be more movement.

Phone for me too. Yes, must read up stuff. :unsure: *fingers crossed*

I asked Joseph Black about the interview. He said this, which made me feel better: "Most -- a very large majority  -- of those we admit do well: well enough for them to agree to the offer. And they need to be very sure of themselves to tell us no: we will push them in return."

Of course, I'm still going to prepare the crap out of this thing, but what sort of potential grad students would we be if we didn't do the assigned reading and often some more on top of that? ;P

I just had my interview with Donna LeCourt--it went, I think, quite well. She's an easy person to talk to, certainly, and she seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say.

The main piece of advice I'd give (if it's not to presumptuous?) would be to make sure you have questions prepared for her. She alloted a significant portion of the interview to fielding my questions about the program. If I hadn't had any, the interview would have been over in less than 10 minutes. As it was, we talked for half an hour.

Best of luck! As every day passes and I still haven't heard from 6 of my schools, I'm beginning to think of myself, already, as a future UMass student. 

I just had my interview with Donna LeCourt--it went, I think, quite well. She's an easy person to talk to, certainly, and she seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say.

The main piece of advice I'd give (if it's not to presumptuous?) would be to make sure you have questions prepared for her. She alloted a significant portion of the interview to fielding my questions about the program. If I hadn't had any, the interview would have been over in less than 10 minutes. As it was, we talked for half an hour.

Best of luck! As every day passes and I still haven't heard from 6 of my schools, I'm beginning to think of myself, already, as a future UMass student. 

Thanks for the feedback! My POI is Donna LeCourt, so I'm happy to hear she is approachable. She emailed me yesterday to introduce herself and set up a time to discuss the program over the phone. It's so flattering to know that these amazing professors are genuinely interested in our work and working with us! 

Hey fellow-potential-UMies -- I got the official letter from the graduate school in the mail today, and I noticed it says "It is important that you [accept/withdraw] within 15 days of your acceptance." And our acceptance is dated Feb 12 on the letter.

Do you guys think there is something to this?  I mean, I'm just now planning some travel for some school visits that won't happen until mid-March, so I definitely won't be in a position to make my official choice before then.  I was assuming April 15 was universal, but that wording worries me.