Anyone else regretting not applying to more schools?

waitingNC

Anyone else regretting taking the advice of people who might have known what was up once, but are now out-of-the-loop? :P

I didn't let anyone advise me, so I'm not regretting anything. The only one thing I realized during this application process is that the selection is tougher than I ever thought. Now I barely have 1 real admission with no funding, I'm seriously worried.. :( 

Anyone else regretting taking the advice of people who might have known what was up once, but are now out-of-the-loop? :P

Haha! Yesssss!!!

So much regret this, also I think I should have replaced the nearly unattainable schools with more realistic choices

So much regret this, also I think I should have replaced the nearly unattainable schools with more realistic choices

Yeah, my regret is applying to top schools just for the sake of it, which my advisor suggested I do. It cost so much money and, as expected, I didn't get into any of them. <_<

But I accidentally stumbled into a school that's top in my subfield, so I guess I might not have applied to it had I known that at the time and ignored her advice? I can't complain. Already in so much debt, and it worked out in the end!

I have a really awesome offer now. I am still waiting for two results to come in. One of those is an inferred rejection. The other is possibly an admission. If that is an admission, I would be a very hard decision. At the moment I am glad I have no more than two offers to decide between!

And it is an admission indeed! How on earth will I ever decide between these two?

So, currently no regrets for not applying to more schools. On the contrary.

Like, now that it's nearing decision time... why didn't I apply to more schools in warm climates? Or maybe I should have applied to a couple more "safety" programs. Oh my god what if I don't get in anywhere?!!

-FREAKING OUT

Very specifically the warm climate thing. I got accepted at a great school, but I am already dreading the idea of 4+ more years of real, cold winter. Super frustrated with myself that I didn't consider a particular alternative in my field that would have allowed me to apply to a lot more warm weather schools.

I hope those places are hiring in 5 years when I'm done!

Very specifically the warm climate thing. I got accepted at a great school, but I am already dreading the idea of 4+ more years of real, cold winter. Super frustrated with myself that I didn't consider a particular alternative in my field that would have allowed me to apply to a lot more warm weather schools.

I hope those places are hiring in 5 years when I'm done!

I agree! Aiming for a job in San Diego for the long term. ;)

I agree! Aiming for a job in San Diego for the long term. ;)

That's the ideal! LA, Vegas, Arizona, and New Mexico are also acceptable. I don't understand why all the R1 schools aren't located right there ;)

The trend of this thread: "Oh no, I should've applied to mo-what? I'm in? ha! I was right all along." XD

Isn't that the truth. I may be sitting on one acceptance, but dammit, I like the program and I'm in so I have zero regrets about the process.

I applied to six schools, which I think was about the right amount - my advisor told me to go big or go home, so I only applied to programs at schools where I could honestly see myself living and working and researching, even though they were all technically "reach" programs. Applying to a lot of schools to make you feel more secure about getting in when some of them would rank low on your preference list just isn't worth the time or money in my opinion. 

I am absolutely thrilled with how things turned out, I applied to my long shot and got an early acceptance. Ironically my two safety schools have waitlisted me. Goes to show that there really is no thing as a safety school! (Also at least try for one long shot, you never know what'll happen!)