Where my Duke applicants at?!

I'd also like to point out some people weren't admitted to duke lit until march last year...

Right. The admits come after the interview weekend... the first step is getting asked to interview!

tillium, I'm super curious about your research interests, as it seems we have applied to some of the same interdisciplinary programs!

Emailed the program and just received a response:

We have not finalized our list of applicants to invite to campus. We are planning to do so soon and notify students within the next week or so.

All the best,

Tiwonda

AHH!!! This is too soon. I know I've been doing nothing but complaining about how the wait is killing me, but now it seems far too soon!

Does anyone know how crucial it is to go to the interview weekend at Duke?

To the best of my knowledge, admits are given only to those who are invited to the interview.

Oh no, but if you are invited and don't go, is that a huge deal?

I'm NOT getting ahead of myself. I don't anticipate any good news from Duke. I am almost definitely 100% sure I couldn't go to an interview weeked, though.

Just an FYI to those of you lucky enough to get invited: according to some GradCafe research, last year they interviewed 14 and had spots for 6. So, unfortunately, this first invitation won't guarantee admission. Not to be a downer about this or anything. Just trying to keep hopes/heart rates on a realistic pace when the e-mails do hit.

What about those of us who live overseas? Is it likely I'd be ineligible if I couldn't come for an interview? And does anyone know if they're known to pay to fly people there for interviews? Not sure I should really be worrying about this until I find out if I've got an interview offer, but as it's being discussed thought I'd raise the question... Just seems hard to believe they would discount anyone who doesn't come to the campus for an interview in the middle of the year, given that they must have plenty of overseas candidates (and others for that matter) who aren't in a position to fly over. In any case I'm appreciative of all the information given by people in this thread

(And yes, talking about the Literature program)

Edited by ivandub

Actually the lit program admitted 8 last year. 5 accepted. 160 applicants means 5% acceptance rate. Ivandub, so you know 2 of those accepts were for students categorized as Foreign.

And, I am in the boat of incredible nerves about interviews with everyone else.

Aubergine, my work broadly has to do with the digital humanities and French "Poststructuralists," which might have brought us to some of the same programs. What about you?

tillium, did you read stanley fish's recent op-ed in the nytimes about the digital humanities (the most recent one, in which he begins with a formalist analysis of milton's areopagitica)? i'm wondering how digital humanities folks feel about the argument he makes.

Aubergine, my work broadly has to do with the digital humanities and French "Poststructuralists," which might have brought us to some of the same programs. What about you?

Nice!

Mine pertains to the philosophy and politics of movement, mostly in dance. Kind of a performance studies/(process) philosophy/new media mash-up.

I don't doubt that they admit foreign students, it's just the question of the interviews and whether they make arrangements for those who can't come for an interview, or who can't afford to finance it themselves if they're coming from far away.

tillium, did you read stanley fish's recent op-ed in the nytimes about the digital humanities (the most recent one, in which he begins with a formalist analysis of milton's areopagitica)? i'm wondering how digital humanities folks feel about the argument he makes.

I think that Fish's argument is unsurprising given his perspective of writing, reading, and the Internet more broadly (e.g. his reluctance to believe a blog could be considered a space in which "worthwhile" scholarship). He also has been making damning statements about whatever the academy seems to be interested at the moment (e.g. his critiques of interdisciplinarity). His description of the digital humanities is terribly reductive and points to a naivete that was tackled by scholars with much more care and consideration long ago. So, meh. Just my thoughts.