Where my Duke applicants at?!

Feeling... deflated. And like my writing sample is a total fiasco. I probably shoulda just left it alone instead of trying to 'fix' it on the last day.

Though I AM feeling grateful that I joined this forum. Otherwise I'd most certainly be annoying a friend or parent about now with my inability to talk about anything but applications.

When I log in to check my application, it lists my recommendation providers and says they have been notified, but does not explicitly state that they've submitted their letters. Is the same for everyone else? Or does the status change once they've submitted?

Mine tells me that they submitted when I log in. I also received an e-mail notification when each of my letters was received (one like a half hour before the deadline). Does it not say that any of them have submitted? :/

8 really isn't that low of a number. I would say the vast majority of programs accept 8-12 students for phd tracks (numbers may be higher if they have an mfa prog or admit students for MAs). my program accepted 10 phd and 7 mfa students last year.

Little late posting to this, but my concern with Duke accepting 8 versus other programs is that Duke receives about 500 applications each year. While other programs that I'm applying to put up that they receive about 96 applications and accept 8-10 students is a little more reassuring than the programs that accept the same amount and get 5 times the applicants.

Mine tells me that they submitted when I log in. I also received an e-mail notification when each of my letters was received (one like a half hour before the deadline). Does it not say that any of them have submitted? :/

WHEW, okay. Yes, my status just changed. Either my profs were all late in submitting their letters, or Duke's email was delayed. Either way, it's okay now.

Little late posting to this, but my concern with Duke accepting 8 versus other programs is that Duke receives about 500 applications each year. While other programs that I'm applying to put up that they receive about 96 applications and accept 8-10 students is a little more reassuring than the programs that accept the same amount and get 5 times the applicants.

Whoa, what schools are saying they get less than 100 applicants? All the schools I've looked at say at LEAST 150 applicants, but it's usually more.

• 1 month later...

I must add to this thread that Duke has been the best school on my list, by far, when it comes to application status updates. Not one, but TWO emails in the past couple of weeks listing documents received; the latest one also stating that the application has been forwarded to the department (gulp). Yay for organization!

I second Aubergine's point, but I've also got a question about these updates. I received one of these e-mails last month and everything looked "in" (except for the official transcripts, which they don't need until an offer has been made). In my e-mail yesterday was another one of these e-mails, seemingly identical to the first. Am I missing something? I've gone over each of the items...it seems like everything's ship shape, but this double e-mail has me spooked.

I think that the difference between the two emails (I assume yours is the same) is the addition of this line in the latter: "Regardless of whether documents are missing from your application file, it has been sent to the department for review."

The listing of items received was identical in both emails for me as well, but I suppose that for people who were missing elements when the first emails went out, the second would indicate a change.

Yeah, I have no idea why we got that e-mail twice. Grrrrrr. All I know is that I just keep going back to Duke's page for some sign that they'll be notifying early. I know it's highly unlikely, but still...wishful thinking. I can't handle this waiting much longer!

I'm applying to the History program but I've gotten the same email you guys have gotten around four or five times since I turned my app in in late November. I appreciate the updates but I've had everything in for six weeks or so at this point. I imagine it'll keep coming until the application season is over. No big deal.

Edited by taybaxter

I'm applying to the History program but I've gotten the same email you guys have gotten around four or five times since I turned my app in in late November. I appreciate the updates but I've had everything in for six weeks or so at this point. I imagine it'll keep coming until the application season is over. No big deal.

Same here. I figure they're trying to desensitize me to their emails.

BAH!! I just received YET ANOTHER e-mail from Duke labeled "Application Status." Seriously, all my stuff has been in since November. I KNOW it's all there. The first FIVE e-mails confirmed this for me, so please stop sending me automated messages that cause my heart to explode in my chest. kthxbye.

BAH!! I just received YET ANOTHER e-mail from Duke labeled "Application Status." Seriously, all my stuff has been in since November. I KNOW it's all there. The first FIVE e-mails confirmed this for me, so please stop sending me automated messages that cause my heart to explode in my chest. kthxbye.

Yeah, but this time they added the sentence: "This message will be sent on a regular basis, whether your application is complete or not, until you have received a final decision on your application." Which, you know, makes it completely different.

Edited by LLajax

Yeah, but this time they added the sentence: "This message will be sent on a regular basis, whether your application is complete or not, until you have received a final decision on your application." Which, you know, makes it completely different.

I'm in another field (history) but wanted to just chime in re: the weekly Duke "updates"...which aren't so much updates as they are likely to give me cardiac incidents. Ahhhh.